Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could Jagr come back to Pittsburgh?

Threads : 126
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Could Jagr come back to Pittsburgh?

An interesting article discussing the possibility of Jagr returning. How would you guys feel about that if the Pens gave him a chance at camp in September? This is all just talk right now, of course. His contract is up in Russia and he's doing very well in the world championships. Could you imagine him on the right wing with Sid or Geno for a season or two? Would he be accepted by the fans after the bitter way things ended for him here years ago? Anyway, here's the article......

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-could-happen/

Threads : 215

Default Re: Could Jagr come back to Pittsburgh?

Just discussed this with the oldest daughter she is for it, I'm against it. a milestone goal vs. you can't go home again!!!
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not sure he fits the Penguins system. ...Just look at Pony and Kovalev and Satan! Plus, I'm not sure he could handle an 80+ game season plus playoffs. Maybe sign him in February???

On the other hand, the Pens may need Jags to sell tickets... if Crosby doesn't come back.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure he fits the Penguins system. ...Just look at Pony and Kovalev and Satan! Plus, I'm not sure he could handle an 80+ game season plus playoffs. Maybe sign him in February???

On the other hand, the Pens may need Jags to sell tickets... if Crosby doesn't come back.
    Jagr is and always was a harder working player than any of those floaters. One of the key things for Jagr is that he's a Playoff Warrior and at his age too. The last NHL Playoffs he was in when we faced the Rags, Jagr was practically the entire team. He worked harder than nearly everyone on that ice. It was an impressive display.

I'd give him a shot. I'd have taken Jagr over Kovalev in a heartbeat because Jagr can command and control the Ice as a Winger (much like malkin does if he's in that position), where Kovalev needs at least an Average Center. Jagr on a line with Sid or Geno... someone would be opening up time and space for the other. hat would be tough on opposing defenses. It can't be any worse than whatever Shero usually signs as a Free Agent forward anyways.

Plus... we got the return of kovalev, why not the return of Jagr?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 61

I don't think the Penguins need him back, and I don't think he would fit in. But if he does come back, I would accept him. I hold no grudge against him.

Threads : 29

I'm all for it but only if he grows his mullet back.

He looked pretty good scoring a hat trick on Ty Conklin and a patchwork USA defense. Had some chemistry with Tomas Plekanec.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    I'm all for it but only if he grows his mullet back.
    I wonder if he's still stealing other athlete's celebrations when he scores a goal? Remember when he did the Terrell Owens salute for a while and then he did the Sammy Sosa fist pump peace sign thing? If he comes back, maybe he could do that stupid Aaron Rodgers championship belt celebration after each goal? I'm sure Steeler fans would just love to see that. Or maybe he'll change his name to "Seis Ocho", since Chad Johnson seems to be done with that ridiculous experiment now. Who knows what old Jags might come up with.
    Last edited by BlackNGoldRules; May-12-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Threads : 8

If he performs well the fans will accept him. I would be concerned about his ability to stay healthy for a long season.

Is there any length and money being rumored? one thing about the recent annual Jagr rumors is that they never include anything about money or length of contract possibilities.

Personally, just to play along with the rumor, I couldn't see Ray offering Jagr more than 2 years and then would have to look at the cap to determine what asking price we'd even be able to fit in

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Is there any length and money being rumored? one thing about the recent annual Jagr rumors is that they never include anything about money or length of contract possibilities.

Personally, just to play along with the rumor, I couldn't see Ray offering Jagr more than 2 years and then would have to look at the cap to determine what asking price we'd even be able to fit in
    One of the rumors I heard is that they might be willing to pay him 1 to 1.5 million for a season, and if he wants more than that, then they would probably just give up on it then. Just a rumor I was hearing on the local radio shows the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNGoldRules View Post
    One of the rumors I heard is that they might be willing to pay him 1 to 1.5 million for a season, and if he wants more than that, then they would probably just give up on it then. Just a rumor I was hearing on the local radio shows the other day.
    Man, I can't imagine Jagr agreeing to play for that price when he can absolutely definitely get more in Europe. What would be the incentive? 1 more chance at the Stanley Cup before hanging them up officially?

Man, I can't imagine Jagr agreeing to play for that price when he can absolutely definitely get more in Europe. What would be the incentive? 1 more chance at the Stanley Cup before hanging them up officially?
    That would be the only incentive. Well, that, and being able to play with Malkin, and hopefully Crosby, might convince him to do it, figuring he'd have a good chance at winning one more cup here playing with those guys before retiring. He'd basically have to look past the money to come here. If he can't do that, then he'll just stay in Europe and get paid by someone.

If Jagr is willing to play for less... that would be a great sign that he is motivated by the cup and not money. Like you said, he can make way more money in Europe than in the NHL.

BTW: I watched Russia vs Canada. Aleksey Morozov is the Captain for Russia. They always talk the guy up on TV, but he's invisible in every international game I've seen Russia play.

More Jagr news....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=365807

REPORT: JAGR NOT RULING OUT RESUMPTION OF NHL CAREER

Could Jaromir Jagr be thinking about a return to the NHL? It sounds like he hasn't ruled it out.

Minutes after helping the Czech Republic defeat Russia for the bronze medal at the World Hockey Championship, Jagr was asked by the Edmonton Journal about the possibility of resuming his NHL career.

Jagr spent most of his 17-year NHL career with the Pittsburgh Penguins, a team that now boasts two of the best players in the game.

"You never know. Maybe it will be still fun to go back to NHL. Maybe Pittsburgh. I don't know. Maybe Montreal. Maybe New York," Jagr told the Journal. "Pittsburgh, I played there for a long time. Mario (Lemieux) is the owner. It's better to play with great centres like (Sidney) Crosby and (Evgeni) Malkin, this game is a little bit easier and I'm not young anymore."

After 11 seasons with the Penguins, Jagr was traded to the Washington Capitals, where he spent less than three years before moving on to the New York Rangers.

After the 2007-08 campaign, Jagr decided to sign with Omsk of the Kontinental Hockey League, where he has played at close to a point-per-game clip for three seasons.

But it sounds like Omsk may not be in his future, leaving the door open for a possible return to the NHL.

"I don't know if they really want me to come back or not. I feel they don't even want me to go back. I'll have to wait and see," Jagr told the Journal.

Should he return, Pittsburgh would not be the only team on his list of possible destinations.

"New York, I always had a great feeling about that city. They gave me a second chance. I never forget about that," Jagr told the newspaper. "And Montreal and Canada, it's totally different hockey. The fans are crazy about hockey and I've never played in Canada in my life. You never know."

In the NHL, Jagr scored 646 goals and added 953 assists for 1,599 points in 1,273 games. He won five scoring titles, one Hart Trophy and two Stanley Cups.

At the recent World Hockey Championship, he scored five goals and added four assists for nine points in nine games, including a hat-trick against the United States in the quarter-finals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information