Poll: What key event significantly changed the fortunes of the Steelers -- for better or wo

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers' defining moment

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers' defining moment

I took this poll from the ESPN website just to see how our answers compared to the rest of the country...

What key event significantly changed the fortunes of the Steelers -- for better or worse?

When you've won more Super Bowls (six) than any team in NFL history, there are a lot of great moments that can define a franchise. But which moment best defines the rich history of the Pittsburgh Steelers?

Was it the "Immaculate Reception" when Hall of Fame running back Franco Harris took an improbable catch the distance to beat the Oakland Raiders late in a 1972 playoff game? What about Pittsburgh's Super Bowl X victory over the Dallas Cowboys, which capped its first of two back-to-back title runs in the 1970s?

Pittsburgh's 1974 draft class to land linebacker Jack Lambert, center Mike Webster and receivers Lynn Swann and John Stallworth -- all Hall of Famers -- is often viewed as the best ever and led to four championships. Was that the defining moment in Steelers history? Or was it coach Chuck Noll's hiring in 1969?

There are tons of great moments for the Steelers. But using our SportsNation poll, we ask our community to pick the most defining moment in Pittsburgh history.

If you vote Other, give us your suggestion in the comments area below.
    Last edited by Palmetto Steel; May-12-2011 at 02:59 AM.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Default Re: Steelers' defining moment

... I voted for the Noll hiring... From everything I've read, the entire mindset of the team changed when he came to the organization... Not to mention that he had a hand in the other choices as well...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 215

Noll first. And that whole era of drafting, including Joe Green second.
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I went with the 1974 draft. Adding Swann, Stallworth, Lambert and Webster...was the icing on the cake.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 29

It was the Noll hiring combined his making Greene his first pick, IMO.

I went with the 1974 draft. Adding Swann, Stallworth, Lambert and Webster...was the icing on the cake.
    The 71 draft was huge too.

Threads : 12

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, but Noll had to bake the cake first.

Threads : 12

Prior to hiring Noll, the Steelers were the laughingstock of the league. They would hire and fire head coaches every 3 or 4 years. Noll changed the attitude of the whole organization. And when he chose Joe Greene as his first pick, the papers all said "Joe Who." Noll knew how bad the Steelers were and knew that the only way to get good was to first build a defense. That was the start.

Threads : 188
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Chuck Noll.........the following is from a Sports Illustrated article September 1969, kinda interesting.........

Once, during the war, when the Eagles and the Steelers were merged into what was humorously called the Steagles, Art Rooney looked down at the conglomerate that was his team and saw strange players in even stranger uniforms missing assignments and dropping balls. "They look different and they dress different," Rooney said, "but darn if they aren't the same old Steelers." Since then "Same Old Steelers" has become a rallying cry for disgruntled Pittsburgh fans. Abbreviated to SOS, the shout goes up every fall at the first hint of defeat.

However, this season they are not the SOS. Pittsburgh drafted well and then hired Chuck Noll, the Colts' defensive coach, as head coach. Noll is soft-spoken but, as Linebacker Andy Russell explains, "You don't shut Chuck out, because he has something to say. Nothing is superfluous with him. Nothing's trite, and he doesn't use clich�s." "Last year we had so many keys that we were locked in, frozen," says Middle Linebacker Ray May. "Now it's all simplified. Chuck laid it all out for us, and it's beautiful."

But then, Noll has some new beauties. In the 1969 draft the Steelers landed Joe Greene, a 270-pound All-America defensive tackle from North Texas State, and L. C. Greenwood, a tall, quick defensive end who will put zip into the rush line. Last year the deep secondary was dreadful. Not only were the defensive backs poor on coverage but they had bad hands. (Hey, sound familiar?) Indeed, one was called "Castanets." He is gone, along with Clendon Thomas, a Steeler institution but old and slow. Safety Chuck Beatty, a rookie and Greene's roommate at North Texas, is the most promising newcomer.
    "When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

Threads : 60

I voted Chuck Noll because without him, none of the other selections would ever develope.

I don't even know the coach or coaches prior to Chuck Noll. I'm sure my age has a lot to do with that but hear me out. I bet you many young people today know who Chuck Noll was or who Bill Cowher was for that matter. The reason for my opinion is this, " people remember winners." People talk about the glory days and those glory days started with Noll.

Franco made history with his catch but as I recall, we didn't win the Super Bowl that season and I don't even think we made it to the playoffs or won a playoff game the following season. Nolls groomed and kept that team together.

I have a question for you all. What was Noll downfall ? Did the game out grow him ? Could he no longer communicate with the younger players or was it the front office not supplying him the needed talent ? Maybe you have another opinion on why Nolls succes faded over the years.

... Interesting results so far....

Here on our board, 90% said the Noll hiring, while 10% said the '74 draft....

Nationwide, the results were:
    26% Noll hiring.
    34% Immaculate Reception.
    31% '74 draft.
    6% beating Dallas in SB X.
    3% other.

... Quite honestly, I think the nationwide results reflect folks that may not know or follow the intricies of our team or are too young to realize many factors... But that's just my opinion.

Threads : 691

The hiring of Chuck Noll by far. I remember reading somewhere,(can't find it now) where Dan Rooney said the St. Louis Cardinals offered 7 or 8 players for Terry Bradshaw (not sure if it he was already a Steeler or it was the 1st round pick to draft him) Rooney said everyone of the players the Cards offered would have started for the Steelers. When he ran it by Noll,Chuck said no... we are looking to be great not good.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    The hiring of Chuck Noll by far. I remember reading somewhere,(can't find it now) where Dan Rooney said the St. Louis Cardinals offered 7 or 8 players for Terry Bradshaw (not sure if it he was already a Steeler or it was the 1st round pick to draft him) Rooney said everyone of the players the Cards offered would have started for the Steelers. When he ran it by Noll,Chuck said no... we are looking to be great not good.
    I read the same thing in Dan Rooney's book....

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    I read the same thing in Dan Rooney's book....
    I thought that's where I'd read it. I have the book but just couldn't find it. The quote not the book.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    The quote not the book.
    ... Good.... You had me worried there for a moment.....

Threads : 8

Noll.

When Noll was hired Andy Russell was called to his office for a meeting. Andy thought Noll was going to congratulate him for making the Pro Bowl the previous year. Instead, Noll told him he did not like the way he played and he would have to change for the better or be gone.

Noll set the tone and anyone who failed to follow him was not around long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information