Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirates Passing On Rendon & Cole?

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pirates Passing On Rendon & Cole?

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/...ndon-and-cole/

Pirates Passing On Rendon & Cole?

PITTSBURGH (KDKA)- The Pittsburgh Pirates have the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 MLB Draft. For months, baseball insiders have said that the Bucs will select either Rice 3B Anthony Rendon or UCLA RHP Gerrit Cole. Now it appears as though a third player has entered the discussion.

Could the Pirates select Virginia’s Danny Hultzen with the No. 1 overall selection in June’s draft?

John Perrotto of Baseball Prospectus first reported back on May 2 that Hultzen had emerged as the third player that the Pirates would consider.

Last night on the MLB Network, Peter Gammons said that “some executives think the Pirates will take Hultzen.”

Hultzen is 9-1 with a 1.19 ERA at Virginia. In 75.2 innings pitched, he has 112 strikeouts and just 12 walks.

People are getting concerned over Rendon’s history of recent injuries (shoulder & ankle) and Cole’s slip in production this season at UCLA. Some are worried about the amount of pitches that Cole has already thrown and whether his arm/shoulder will hold up.

Here’s a little background on Hultzen:
    *Throws a low-to-mid 90s fastball, a change-up and a slider
    *Always attacks and is in the strike zone, drawing comparisons to Cliff Lee
    *Career record at Virginia: 28-3
    *Smooth delivery and consistent, repeatable mechanics
    *NL evaluator on Hultzen’s command: “His command would probably be top 10 in the big leagues right now, he just doesn’t miss.”
    *High character type kid
    *Arizona selected him in the 10th round back in the 2008 draft, he decided to attend college

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pirates Passing On Rendon & Cole?

Peter Gammons needs to fill 1,000 words 2-3 times a week, so he blows **** like this out of his ***.

All of this speculation is just that. And it's pretty meaningless.

Nothing derogatorily meant towards you, vandelay. You're just posting it, I know.
    Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by cocktailsfor2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peter Gammons needs to fill 1,000 words 2-3 times a week, so he blows **** like this out of his ***.

All of this speculation is just that. And it's pretty meaningless.

Nothing derogatorily meant towards you, vandelay. You're just posting it, I know.
    I hear what you're saying man, but Gammons is a pretty well-connected and well-respected voice.

When he talks, I know I listen. So I'll put credence to the report of his that there are some execs thinking the Pirates may go this way.

Subterfuge or not, it's floating around...

Threads : 1817

Im not sure if at this point anything isn't possible. Regardless of what some personal feelings are on Anthony Rendon there really is no clear cut, indisputable #1 pick in this draft which royally blows since the Pirates earned that #1 pick and most likely will get a #2-#3 pick type player in a good draft.

Hultzen's numbers are impressive and at least with Hultzen coming into the mix, it's killing off some of the Garrit Cole hype that should be all but killed based on not just this years results but his career results.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 197

I've been pretty impressed by Hultzen this year. Normally I wouldn't like him at 1.1, but I haven't really been that impressed by anyone else either. Hultzen's fastball/change combo is legit. Great late movement on both pitches and a really big velocity difference. Both potential plus pitches. Breaking ball is pretty inconsistent and nothing special. If he could figure something out with the breaking ball he could be a top of the rotation type. I think he'd have success in AA right now. I'm not crazy about his delivery.

Threads : 122

If the Buccos took Rendon, but refused to bow down to Boras ridiculousness, and didn't try and break the bank to sign the kid.....if he decided not to sign, would the Pirates receive the first or second overall pick in 2012 as compensation?

Where does everyone have the HS SS Francisco Lindor or Bubba Starling going off the board?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    If the Buccos took Rendon, but refused to bow down to Boras ridiculousness, and didn't try and break the bank to sign the kid.....if he decided not to sign, would the Pirates receive the first or second overall pick in 2012 as compensation?

Where does everyone have the HS SS Francisco Lindor or Bubba Starling going off the board?

I think comp picks are always after the first round is completed in its entirety.

I've also been known to be wrong once or twice, so maybe someone else can confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    I've been pretty impressed by Hultzen this year. Normally I wouldn't like him at 1.1, but I haven't really been that impressed by anyone else either. Hultzen's fastball/change combo is legit. Great late movement on both pitches and a really big velocity difference. Both potential plus pitches. Breaking ball is pretty inconsistent and nothing special. If he could figure something out with the breaking ball he could be a top of the rotation type. I think he'd have success in AA right now. I'm not crazy about his delivery.
    Is Hultzen the lefty?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post

They'd get the second pick in 2012. Under the current system it's not quite the same as actually having the second pick, though. With a pick that's compensation for not signing a player the previous year it's not protected, so teams always take a "safe" player who will sign quickly. There's a decent chance you'll see some kind of draft slotting next year, though, which would change things significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Is Hultzen the lefty?
    Yes.

Yes.
    Ok... I did see some video on him about a week or so again. I didn't think his delivery was too off but he did definitely look like he had some strong command of the strike zone

Jonathan Mayo at MLB.com has a draft article up where he asked scouts who they thought Pittsburgh would take and who they would take. Here are the results:

Who will Pittsburgh take?
    Gerrit Cole 9
    Anthony Rendon 3
    Danny Hultzen 2

Who would you take?
    Danny Hultzen 4
    Anthony Rendon 3
    Gerrit Cole 2
    Dylan Bundy 2
    Bubba Starling 2
    Trevor Bauer 1

Jonathan Mayo at MLB.com has a draft article up where he asked scouts who they thought Pittsburgh would take and who they would take. Here are the results:

Who will Pittsburgh take?
    Gerrit Cole 9
    Anthony Rendon 3
    Danny Hultzen 2

Who would you take?
    Danny Hultzen 4
    Anthony Rendon 3
    Gerrit Cole 2
    Dylan Bundy 2
    Bubba Starling 2
    Trevor Bauer 1
    So basically those of us that want nothing to do with the Pirates taking Garrit Cole should cross our fingers and hope that these scouts are completely reading Neal Huntington and his staff wrong?

Keith Law also has some stuff up today. He has a new top 100 and a mock draft for the first 10 picks (with a full mock coming next week). He still has Cole #1 on his board and going #1 to the Pirates, but says it's far from a lock and that some are beginning to lose faith. Says the Pirates are also looking at Rendon and Hultzen. On the top 100 Rendon is 2 and Hultzen is 5. In his mock draft they go 2 and 3.

Interesting in his mock draft is that Rendon is the only hitter in the top 8. 6 college pitchers and a high school pitcher.

Keith Law also has some stuff up today. He has a new top 100 and a mock draft for the first 10 picks (with a full mock coming next week). He still has Cole #1 on his board and going #1 to the Pirates, but says it's far from a lock and that some are beginning to lose faith. Says the Pirates are also looking at Rendon and Hultzen. On the top 100 Rendon is 2 and Hultzen is 5. In his mock draft they go 2 and 3.

Interesting in his mock draft is that Rendon is the only hitter in the top 8. 6 college pitchers and a high school pitcher.
    Keith Law has had a pretty strong stiffy for Garrit Cole since day 1 practically finding anything and everything he could to prop him up to that #1 spot and on the flip side find anything possible to keep Rendon down.

I'm not really sure how you can continue to have a guy ranked #1 who despite all of this great long lasting velocity and stuff he's supposed to have hasn't been able to produce the results at the college level his past 2 seasons. At some point, that great "stuff" can't be that great if college guys are having annual success against it. Cole hasn't even been the best pitcher on the Bruins staff. It's just amazing that someone with a 3.25 ERA and a .223 Batting Average Against and just a 9.3 K/9 can still be ranked #1 overall by someone. This draft isn't that weak

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information