Thread: Polamalu earns degree, graduates from USC

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Polamalu earns degree, graduates from USC

Polamalu earns degree, graduates from USC
    By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
    Saturday, May 14, 2011

[IMGR]http://i51.tinypic.com/2mcegzd.jpg[/IMGR]Steelers safety Troy Polamalu traded his helmet and shoulder pads for a cap and gown Friday, as he graduated from the University of Southern California.

"I'm officially a USC graduate!" he wrote on his website, troy43.com. "The majority of top picks in the NFL get drafted before they complete their college education. I truly love football, and it's such an immense blessing and privilege as an athlete to be given the rare opportunity to use those talents at the highest professional level, but it's certainly not a replacement for an education."

Polamalu, who majored in social sciences/history while at USC, announced he was starting a Student of the Year Award in which he encouraged educators to nominate students for recognition. Polamalu will select three "truly outstanding" students ó one each at the elementary, junior/senior high school and college levels ó and send them a signed jersey. For details, go to troy43.com.

"I decided to finish what I started and walked that stage today not only because it was very important to me personally," Polamalu said, "but because I want to emphasize the importance of education, and that nothing should supersede it."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_737084.html

... Here's what he wrote on his website...

Hey all,

Iím thrilled to announce that on this cool, sunny Friday morning I donned a cap and gown, walked across the stage in thebeautiful Alumni Park at University of Southern California, and was handed my diploma. Iím officially a USC graduate! While I feel excited and fulfilled, thatís not really what I want to focus on in this message ó I want to talk about the reason behind my decision to go back and finish what I started.

The majority of top picks in the NFL get drafted before they complete their college education. I truly love football and itís such an immense blessing and privilege as an athlete to be given the rare opportunity to use those talents at the highest professional level, but itís certainly not a replacement for an education. So I decided to finish what I started and walked that stage today not only because it was very important to me personally, but because I want to emphasize the importance of education, and that nothing should supersede it.

So, Iíd like to give back in a small way by recognizing a few truly outstanding students out there by sending them a signed jersey, but I need you to tell me who they are. Nominate a student of yours for a Student of the Year Award coming from me.

If you are a teacher, principal, administrator or any other faculty member of an educational institution (or if you know anyone that fits this description, please forward this along), I want you to tell me about a student you think is truly extraordinary by writing to me about them at pr@wildhairmedia.com. Three paragraphs, or around five-hundred words should do, and I will personally read them and choose one from each of the following education levels: 1) elementary, 2) junior/senior high school, and 3) college.

To recap, email me here with:

ē Your name
    ē Your email
    ē Credentials
    ē School
    ē Studentís name
    ē Level of education (Elementary, Junior/Senior High School or College)
    ē About 3 paragraphs / 500 words explaining why the student youíre nominating should be recognized as truly outstanding.

Please submit all nominations by Tuesday, May 17th at 9PM, Pacific Time.
    Sorry, but all nominations submitted after that time wonít be able to be considered in the selection process. Youíll have to give me a few days to read through the nominations, but the 3 winners will be notified through contact information provided by the teacher who nominated them as well as a post on this website.

I truly look forward to reading all of your submissions and hope that this small gesture will be an encouragement to students to pursue their education to itís fullest potential.

May Godís blessing be upon us,

Troy
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Polamalu earns degree, graduates from USC

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "but because I want to emphasize the importance of education, and that nothing should supersede it."
    That is what separates Troy from everyone else...

I think I read somewhere that Terrell Suggs had these exact same sentiments!
    Last edited by bdeff; May-14-2011 at 11:02 AM.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 215

Money for schollies would have worked, but that's cool.
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Polamalu earns degree, graduates from USC

Congratulations Troy!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information