Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Letter to Neal Huntington: Hypocrisy and the 2011 MLB Draft

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Letter to Neal Huntington: Hypocrisy and the 2011 MLB Draft

Letter to Neal Huntington: Hypocrisy and the 2011 MLB Draft
    BigBen2112

Mr. Neal Huntington:

I can, quite honestly, appreciate the need for and desire for secrecy as the organization engages in discussions and evaluations of the amateur players available in preparation for the 2011 MLB Draft. I can also understand the surprise factor that goes into almost every MLB Draft. The MLB Draft, as you have noted (see: http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/ne...s_pit&c_id=pit )is not like the drafts of the other major sports, especially the NFL, where it is common to see the first overall selection be signed days in advance of the actual draft. I will, therefore, not expect you to answer this letter either fully or completely. Nor do I expect a response at all. However, I will, nonetheless, indulge myself and attempt to provide the arguments that will elucidate the errors of your ways as demonstrated in the above noted question and answer session you recently conducted with fans. Again, while I can appreciate both the necessity of secrecy and the commitment to openness with the fans, I cannot either appreciate, condone, or stand for the potential hypocrisy in your dealings as the General Manager of our Pittsburgh Baseball Club. I say potential, here, because I am more than willing to, and in fact do, give you the benefit of the doubt, as you have so earned with your successful track-record in recent drafts. I hope and expect, then, after you read this (which I actually do not expect you to do at all, in fact) that you will make the right choice both aligning with your stated opinions (and thus not to be hypocritical) and for the future of our believed Pittsburgh Pirates.

There is, it seems to me, no denying that this draft will be a test for you and your talented team of scouts and fellow front-office personnel. Likewise, this draft may very well go a long way in determining whether this rebuilding experiment that you have so artfully begun here in Pittsburgh will be a success or a failure. This draft may well prove to be the decisive draft that shifts the tide of the Pirates organization from "interesting loser" to "small market success story." You have done well to build a solid foundation for this franchise with talent throughout the system both in the field and on the mound. However, the gap between the current major league talent and the young talent on our major league roster may prove to be too be too great a gap to bridge without hitting on a dynamic franchise player with this year's #1 overall selection. Now, I do not intend to argue that this draft is completely about, nor should it be completely about, the first selection alone. However, the #1 overall selection is one earned by a level of inferiority that, hopefully, will not be soon again seen. Likewise, the #1 overall pick provides a chance for an organization to completely change its course and procure for itself a new face; a dynamic franchise player to carry the organization forward into renewed success. This choice ought not be taken lightly, lest an organization desires to remain constantly in the depths of the MLB standings. Missing on this pick, the #1 overall selection, would be, quite frankly, a terrible mistake and ultimately undermining and possibly ****ing to the immediate future of the organization.

With the doom's day scenario already set forth above, I now turn to a discussion of this year's draft, our #1 overall selection, and your recently stated opinions on the draft and players on our roster. First, I would like to lay down the foundations for the rest of this letter by noting your own thoughts and stated opinions (again in reference to the above referenced Q&A session with fans) on the draft and certain players throughout our organization. Here are some of the questions asked and your responses which will serve to be vital to the remainder of this letter (most important parts in bold):
    go_buccos: Neal, some of our prospects have not gotten off to the start we were hoping for. What should we expect in the future and are players, namely Owens, still on track for mid-season promotions?

Huntington: While some of our guys in Triple-A have not performed as expected, it is early and as a result the sample size is such that small fluctuations in performance (good or bad) show up larger in the numbers. We had not set a timetable for any promotions as that is truly set by the player and his ability to adjust and get the job done. Additionally we take into consideration whether there is an opening and opportunity for an upgrade at the Major League level when determining call-ups.
    AND

TR19: What if anything is wrong with Chris Resop, just bad outings?

Huntington: We always have to be careful of getting to high or low based on short-term performance. Baseball is a long season and even the very best players and/or teams have good or bad stretches.
    AND

jim_e25: Do Kyle Stark and yourself see the Cole vs. Rendon debate as a nice problem to have or would you have rather there been a Strasburg type of hands down favorite for the first overall pick?

Huntington: With all due respect to the gentlemen in the 2011 Draft class, the club selecting first is always looking for a franchise player, but there does not appear to be that guy in the Draft this year. That said, there will be multiple All-Star caliber players that come through the Draft this year and we are working diligently to make sure the majority of them are in Pirates uniforms.

I, now, intend to show how these statements are hypocritical and your view on the 2011 MLB Draft, specifically one Anthony Rendon, need to change to be responsive to your own stated opinions on timeframe required for judgement. First, though, I would like to make an induction from your first two quotes. I understand you to be saying that to make a judgment on a player one needs to evaluate at complete track-records and no focus too strongly in either direction on a small sample size or short-term statistical performances. With this in mind I will now turn to your third quote, the quote on how there do not appear to be any franchise players in this year's draft, to show how you are either being hypocritical or are simply not following your own stated opinions on player evaluation.

[IMGL]http://mopupduty.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/bryce-harper.jpg[/IMGL]Prior to the beginning of this year's NCAA Baseball season Anthony Rendon was virtually a unanimous, odds-on favorite to be selected first overall come Major League Baseball's Amateur Draft in June. Some scouts, or player evaluators, in fact stated quite frankly how they would have selected Mr. Rendon over last year's #1 overall selection Bryce Harper (who is absolutely destroying Salley League pitching right now to the tune of a line of .390/.467/1.153) who was widely considered to be one of the best hitting talents to come through the MLB Draft in several years. It seems likely, then, that he was considered to be a "franchise" player and not merely a very good or even great "All-Star caliber" (to use your own words) player. It must be assumed, then, that at least some scouts or evaluators viewed Anthony Rendon, prior to this year's NCAA season, as a franchise player. Certainly, prior to his 167 at bats this season Anthony Rendon had proven himself to be a special, franchise caliber, player to be coveted by many. In fact, very few players have accomplished what Mr. Rendon managed to accomplish as a freshman and sophomore as he collected award after award and became, possibly, the most feared hitter in NCAA baseball. As a true freshman Rendon collected the following awards: National Freshman of the Year; All-America; Freshman All-America; District VII Player of the Year (NCBWA); NCAA All-Regional Team; Conference USA Player of the Year; C-USA Freshman of the Year; All-Conference USA (first team); C-USA All-Tournament Team (most valuable player); All-Silver Glove Series (most outstanding player); and was named a national semifinalist for both the Dick Howser Trophy and the Golden Spikes Award (as the country's top amateur player) all as a true freshman (see: http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-bas...anthony00.html). Rendon led the conference in batting average (.388), slugging percentage (.702) and home runs with a Rice freshman record of 20.

It would have been easy, then, for Rendon to have a sophomore slump and fail to reach the lofty level that he established for himself as a true freshman. However, Rendon managed to surpass even his own lofty precedent when as a sophomore he managed to amass the following: Howser Trophy Winner as the National Player of the Year (National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association); Rawlings Sporting Goods National Player of the Year (American Baseball Coaches Association); National Player of the Year (Baseball America); C-USA Male Athlete of the Year (Fall 2009 & Spring 2010); Honored by Houston Mayor Annise Parker and the City Council with "Anthony Rendon Day in Houston" (June 29, 2010); District VII Player of the Year (NCBWA); First Team All-America (many organizations); All-South Region (ABCA); Most Outstanding Player of the NCAA Austin Regional; C-USA Player of the Year (only the second player in league history to earn that distinction twice); All-Conference USA (first team); C-USA All-Tournament Team; Three-time C-USA Hitter of the Week; All-Silver Glove Series team (for annual five-game series with crosstown rival Houston); Conference USA Academic Honor Roll; and he made the United States National Team over the summer. As a sophomore, Rendon produced gaudy numbers on his way to the above awards and rightfully earned all the accolades given:
    Led the Owls and was among the NCAA leaders in home runs (26), RBI (85) and walks (65) in 63 games... Tops on the Owls and among the C-USA's best in batting average (.394), home runs (26), runs (83), slugging percentage (.801), on-base average (.530) and steals (14)... The 26 homers tied for the second-highest single season total in school history (trailing Lance Berkman's 41 in 1997)... Slugging percentage is the fourth-best, single-season mark in school history (and better than Berkman's .747 mark in 1996)... One of only two Owls to start every game (and has started every game in his collegiate career)... Clean-up hitter in 60 of 63 starts... Tallied more home runs (26) than strikeouts (22), and almost had three-times as many walks (65) as strikeouts... The 65 walks tied for the second-highest single season total at Rice, and one better than longtime major league star and Rice great Jose Cruz Jr... Hit a steady .400 in the NCAA Tournament, .402 in C-USA league games and .412 in all home games at Reckling Park... Batted .422 with runners on base, .493 with runners in scoring position... Two of his four, bases-loaded hits were grand slam home runs... Hit .407 when there were two outs already recorded in the inning... Posted 25 multiple-hit games, 20 multiple RBI games and maintained a 14-game hitting streak... Tied a career-high with four hits in a game (three times)... Registered three or more hits in a game 11 times... Recorded four games with two or more home runs, including Rice's first three-home run game since 1995 (which he did in the NCAA Tournament)... Amassed 181 total bases, the seventh-best single season total in school history... Tallied a career-best 13 total bases in the three-homer day in the NCAA Tournament against Rider, one of the highest marks in school history... Had the program's seventh-highest single-season RBI total (85) and best by an Owl since 1998... Drove-in five runs (or more) in a game four times and three-or-more RBI 11 times... Registered eight RBI in a victory over eventual NCAA Tournament team California, the highest total by an Owl since 2002... Twice scored a career-high four runs in a game... Drew four walks in the season-opener at Stanford, a level of respect from opposing pitchers that followed him all season... Intentionally-walked 12 times... Shared the team lead in steals (14) and converted on 14-of-18 stolen base attempts...Logged an eye-opening .978 fielding percentage and made only four errors at third base all season... Totaled 140 defensive assists from the hot corner... Tallied a career-high seven defensive assists at third base in one game (against Southern Miss)
    http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-bas...anthony00.html

[IMGL]http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2009/06/08/2009315964.jpg[/IMGL]Seriously, the kid had more home runs than strikeouts. In fact, Rendon virtually had two times as many extra-base hits (39) than he did strike-outs (22). Finally, Rendon's scouting profile is elite and even superior to the profile of our own "franchise player" Pedro Alvarez. It is, honestly, difficult and usually not helpful to make comparison's between amateur players and professional players. However, Anthony Rendon is a virtual clone, although possibly even superior, of the Washington National's Ryan Zimmerman. He is the complete package at third base as he profiles as a Gold Glove caliber defenseman with plus range and a plus arm. Likewise, his patience and approach at the plate is currently major league ready. Add to that his fluid and powerful stroke at the plate that profiles as, at minimum, above average for the third base position and it becomes quite questionable how Mr. Rendon is anything but a "franchise player." Few players in recent memory have been able to accomplish what Anthony Rendon has been able to accomplish. In fact, one only needs to look back at recent drafts and compare the relative profiles of the top selections to that of Mr. Rendon to see that Anthony Rendon is certainly on par with, if not even superior to, other top overall selections. I have already discussed above his standing versus Bryce Harper. Likewise, immediately after the 2009 draft you yourself mentioned that if Strasburg or Ackley were available they would have been the picks and the organization would have spent the money required to sign them. You, thusly, indicated that these two players were considered by you and your staff to be "franchise players." However, Anthony Rendon is superior to Dustin Ackley (why compare a hitter to a pitcher here when that is not necessary) in every respect. He plays a more prime position than Ackley (who has since been moved, as I knew he would have to be, to 2B because he bat could not satisfy staying at 1B), he has superior hitting numbers across the board, and Rendon has the superior glove. Likewise, it would be tough to argue that Rendon has not already proven himself to be a superior all-around player compared to our own "face of the franchise" 3B, Pedro Alvarez whose college numbers, while impressive, are, quite honestly, inferior to Anthony Rendon's. How, then, could Anthony Rendon not be considered a "franchise player" when Dustin Ackley and Pedro Alvarez both were or are thus considered only two and three years previously?

The answer to the above question is simple: Anthony Rendon is having a down and disappointing 2011 NCAA season. Disappointing according to his own premier standard--the bar he already set extremely high by his performance in his first two seasons. Let us be honest, though. It would have been quite difficult to outdo his freshman and sophomore campaigns. Especially with the new bats installed this year by the NCAA to reduce the size of the "sweet spot" to lessen the velocity at which the balls came off the players bats. Especially with virtually no protection in his Rice lineup which has led to an absurd number of walks issued by opposing teams. These factors, though, would seem to be little more than excuses if given by Rendon. However, the facts still remain. Regardless, it is not as if Rendon has had a terrible season. The kid is still batting over .320, still slugging over .520, still getting on base at a ridiculous rate of .537. Likewise, while his home run numbers are down, his doubles are actually up over the previous two seasons and he is still getting an extra-base hit in 12.6% of his at bats (a number similar to Ryan Howard, Evan Longoria, Mark Teixeira, and Joey Votto and superior to David Wright, Ryan Zimmerman, Michael Young, Kevin Youkilis, and Joe Mauer). This number is superior to current young Pirates Andrew McCutchen, Neil Walker, Jose Tabata, and Pedro Alvarez. Anthony Rendon has almost a full major league season worth of at bats prior to this season that show him to be not only a "franchise player" but one of the most elite player to ever come through the NCAA ranks. Certainly his 167 at bats this year are not sufficient to undo all the previous precedent, especially considering that for almost everyone else Anthony Rendon's current stat-line would be considered a successful start to the season.

I could continue throughout the rest of this letter to elucidate and delineate how everyone except Rendon just does not measure up to the #1 overall pick. I could discuss how Gerrit Cole just cannot seem to figure out how to have more than mediocre success (overall) against NCAA hitters and cannot seem to figure out how to be the best pitcher on his own team. I could discuss how Matt Purke is an injury waiting to happen--wait, that injury already did happen. I could discuss how Danny Hultzen was only a mid-first round pick coming into this season and despite his success this season should, likely, remain a 3-5th overall selection. I could spend time discussing how Bubba Starling will likely command more money than Bryce Harper to pull him away from his Nebraska football commitment and ultimately provide less talent than Harper. I could go on and on about how no other player has the pedigree and proven track record that Anthony Rendon has. But that would be a waste of time (both mine and yours) because the above awards, accolades, and numbers prove quite decisively exactly who should be the #1 overall selection this year, regardless of the deficiencies of the other possibilities. The above summary and discussion proves, quite clearly, who and what Anthony Rendon is: Anthony Rendon is a franchise third baseman. Yes, Mr. Rendon is that "franchise player" and one would have to give too much weight to his "short-term performance" or his recent "small sample size" and overlook his complete body of work to conclude otherwise. To do so would either be hypocritical or stupid. I doubt you are the latter and I certainly hope for the sake of the PBC and the future of our Pirates Organization that you are not the former.

With the First Selection in the 2011 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft, the Pittsburgh Pirates select......................Should it be anyone other than Anthony Rendon?
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 34
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Letter to Neal Huntington: Hypocrisy and the 2011 MLB Draft

Any chance I can get the cliffs notes version of this?
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Threads : 66

Any chance I can get the cliffs notes version of this?

I started reading it and jumped to the last sentence. I wholeheartedly agree with Big Ben.

Threads : 0

Excellent write-up, and I couldn't agree more. I read that Q and A you reference, and I was baffled by NH's statement about "no franchise player" as well. Really, a number of these kids have been called potential franchise players, for one. And secondly, Rendon has been called that since Harper was drafted and because of a slightly off season at the plate, plus nagging injuries, despite still putting up elite numbers, he's not franchise player quality? If we had a bat like that in our lineup right now, we'd be over .500. And that's not franchise quality?

If they don't draft Rendon, or at least another position player prospect with excellent make up, I give up on Huntington, whom I've supported since year one. There's no sense in taking a pitcher when your current MLB clue is AWFUL at the plate, and your entire farm lacks any legitimate power prospects. You have a GREAT offensive third baseman that you can take at one. There's also a GREAT shortstop prospect. There's also a few outfielders. Don't be stupid.

Heres my thoughts, simply put, if you want us to give you, NH, and your players a benefit of the doubt...then you owe a prospect like Rendon the benefit of the doubt. It would take a hands-down, no-doubt about it ace pitcher to warrant leaving Rendon on the board. Rendon is a proven franchise player and elite talent...You better get MORE than that if you pass on him because not only is he that, but he's that kind of player at a position of definite need.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 122

I agree Benny. Can't leave Rendon on the board.

Yeah, I don't see any justification in the numbers to say any of these pitchers should take 1 over Rendon. You look at his track record vs. theirs, and the fact that his "off" season is still pretty much better than Cole's season, I don't see how this is even an argument amongst management.

All you hear about Cole's stuff, he hasn't put up the Strasburg-esque numbers to back it up. I don't see it. Or taking a lefty who jumped up the board in one season. Rendon doesn't just have the "stuff", he has the numbers and the track record.

Threads : 24

So the injuty is now absoluely a non-factor in assessing Rendon? If that's the case, then you are dead-on about picking him number 1...

Threads : 94

Benny nice article...a little too long and a bit too pandering but well thought out and written.

As for Rendon I agree he has set the bar extremely high but the fact is he has had a disappointing season. I'm not sure why maybe the new bats, maybe it’s the injuries but both are major concerns. The walks are also a concern for me, while they are nice to get I would rather see him hit more with the new bats.

I ask you do you want a singles hitting 3rd baseman? Maybe that’s what Rendon is now using the new bats which replicate the results of wood bats. I don't know if that is indeed the case but the possiblity is there.

Problem 2….. his health...I have heard rumors that he has a torn labrum if that’s the case that ain’t good. A labrum problem obviously isn’t as serious for a 3rd baseman as a pitcher if surgery is needed that would seriously cut into his development time. Also there still are concerns about the ankles.

Baseball isn't like the other major sports, teams don't get to prod and poke an athlete before the draft. The info a team has to go on is what is provided by the player’s advisor. If you remember Boras didn't allow the Pirates any access at all to Pedro until he signed. Do you think Boras will treat the Pirates and Rendon any different this year? So considering Rendon’s assortment of injuries this could be a crap shoot pick….is he injured?.... what’s the extent of his injuries?.... does he need surgery?......is he healthy?

While you make a compiling argument for Rendon he does have some serious red flags attached to his name.

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Benny nice article...a little too long and a bit too pandering but well thought out and written.

As for Rendon I agree he has set the bar extremely high but the fact is he has had a disappointing season. I'm not sure why maybe the new bats, maybe it’s the injuries but both are major concerns. The walks are also a concern for me, while they are nice to get I would rather see him hit more with the new bats.

I ask you do you want a singles hitting 3rd baseman? Maybe that’s what Rendon is now using the new bats which replicate the results of wood bats. I don't know if that is indeed the case but the possiblity is there.

Problem 2….. his health...I have heard rumors that he has a torn labrum if that’s the case that ain’t good. A labrum problem obviously isn’t as serious for a 3rd baseman as a pitcher if surgery is needed that would seriously cut into his development time. Also there still are concerns about the ankles.

Baseball isn't like the other major sports, teams don't get to prod and poke an athlete before the draft. The info a team has to go on is what is provided by the player’s advisor. If you remember Boras didn't allow the Pirates any access at all to Pedro until he signed. Do you think Boras will treat the Pirates and Rendon any different this year? So considering Rendon’s assortment of injuries this could be a crap shoot pick….is he injured?.... what’s the extent of his injuries?.... does he need surgery?......is he healthy?

While you make a compiling argument for Rendon he does have some serious red flags attached to his name.
    If those rumors are true, I don't see any possible way you can choose Rendon number 1. With his "advisor" being Scott Boras, he will absolutely insist on a major league deal, plus 10 to 15 mill on a contract. While the money is pretty much standard, the fact he will be on a major league contract is a problem. They'll use the first option this year if he signs in time, and a second option next year while he conceivably could still be recovering from eventual surgery. He may or may not be a franchise player when he's 100%, the fact is, combined with the ankles, his injury history makes him a serious risk as the top pick, just like Tanner Scheppers injuries dropped his stock.

Threads : 66

Benny...just wanted to let you know that your post is now officially 'famous'.

You made the "JAL Links" portion of today's PG Plus. You are #9!

Should I not be #1 though? I mean I definitely think this took more balls to write than what the PG writers put out. I actually think the PG pre-draft coverage has been terrible to date. I am not sure why DK is not "the guy" any longer but the quality has certainly been on the decline. Maybe they need to give me a job. . I probably would prefer to stay here and work for free rather than author politically correct pieces that paint an inappropriate but rosy picture of the status of an organization that has not had a winning season during the lifetime of many of the sports world's youngest and most vibrant fanbase. This truly is a draft where the fate of the organization can be decided. We can go from promising to Dave Littlefield status with one JVB or Bullington or Burnett selection. Or we can select a player who becomes on of the future faces of a transitioning franchise--transitioning to align with the small(er) market successes like Tampa, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, and Minnesota. The fans deserve and have the right to know whether the man making that selection is going to go against his own stated opinion--against the small sample size. The pick ought to be Anthony Rendon. The question is whether it will be.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 277

I (heart) Benny and Rendon!!!

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ben, this article was too long and I got bored. Can you tell me if you at least touched on the major injury concerns about Rendon. I don't know how you could determine that he needs to be the pick without at least mentioning that their are major concerns there.

And there aren't major injury concerns for basically any college pitcher?

The article is mainly about the hypocrisy by NH, stemming from his Q and A comment over how there are no "franchise players" in this draft. That, on top of the way he basically ignored Rendon's existence in that Q and A was pretty insulting to a guy who has accomplished what he has.

Maybe NH and his team knows something we don't about Rendon? Who knows. I know that this is the most important draft for team Huntington, since they have the 1 pick and there's apparently no consensus, in a draft loaded with talent. So the ball is 100% in their court this time around.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information