Thread: Shero would like to retain Tyler Kennedy

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Shero would like to retain Tyler Kennedy

Penguins' Shero would like to retain Tyler Kennedy
    By Rob Rossi, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Salary-cap circumstances could prevent right wing Tyler Kennedy from returning to the Penguins next season, though general manager Ray Shero said Tuesday he would "like to keep" Kennedy, an impending restricted free-agent right winger who scored a career-best 21 goals and 45 points last season.

[IMGR]http://i54.tinypic.com/23ww37d.jpg[/IMGR]Kennedy, who will turn 25 in July, is expected to at least double his previous salary-cap hit ($725,000) on any new contract - and that number could inch toward $2 million if he goes to arbitration. As a restricted free agent, Kennedy's rights belong exclusively to the Penguins until July 1. They can match any offer he receives after that date.

Shero said impending restricted free agents often are traded by NHL teams rather than be extended a qualifying offer that would start the path toward an arbitration hearing if a contract is not reached.

"I've told Tyler that, and I've said that in a few conversations I've had with the agent (Steve Bartlett)," Shero said. "I've told Tyler I want to have him back, but I said that and I wanted (former defensemen Hal) Gill and (Rob) Scuderi back, too."

The Penguins are committed to 17 players at a salary-cap hit of about $55 million next season. The salary cap was $59.4 million last season, but it has not been set for next season.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Shero said he has not had "serious" discussions with agents for any of the club's impending unrestricted free agents. The franchise's professional scouting meetings are scheduled for the first week of June, and Shero said he expects to have spoken with agents for the free agents before then.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Centers Evgeni Malkin and Dustin Jeffrey are progressing well on their rehabilitation from right-knee surgeries, Shero said. Malkin was injured in February, Jeffrey in March. Both players are expected to be ready for training camp. Jeffrey is the Penguins' other restricted free agent.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Shero, on the success of Tampa Bay, which has used a 1-3-1 zone-trap system to reach the Eastern Conference final: "It is somewhat of a copy-cat league, but I don't want to confuse the fact that they have a good hockey team. A number of teams can (use a trap next season), but they won't have the firepower up front that the Lightning does."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_737581.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

At this point you get a winger in the pens org that can put in more than 20 its tough to say good bye.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Shero would like to retain Tyler Kennedy

/thsi is going to be a tough offseason for the team in regards to depth. The Pens only have a little under $4 remaining on the cap with the following players to sign...

• Kennedy
    • Dupuis
    • Talbot
    • Rupp
    • Godard
    • Adams
    • Asham
    • Conner
    • Jefferey
    • Comrie
    • Kovalev

As far as forwards go, that is basically everyone not named ..

• Malkin
    • Crosby
    • Neal
    • Kunitz
    • Cooke
    • Letestu
    • Staal

7 of 12 forwards signed (4 of 6 Top 2 line forwards) with less than $4 million in cap space is tough. None of the call ups from WBS proved to me at least to be anything more than guys that won't screw up too badly. None of the forwards barely stepped in to provide much offensive support and I'm guessing that when guys like Kennedy aren't resigned, we will go the internal system depth route to fill in role some role players players.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll be surprised if TFK is back. Some other team will offer more than the Pens can afford. TFK's probably worth $2M per season, but not to the Pens. He's a nice guy to have around but the Pens need an enforcer and depth at center. They can dumpster dive for a $750K-$1M mediocre forward.

Threads : 29

If he gets $2 mil per it won't be in Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll be surprised if TFK is back. Some other team will offer more than the Pens can afford. TFK's probably worth $2M per season, but not to the Pens. He's a nice guy to have around but the [HIGH-LIGHT]Pens need an enforcer and depth at center[/HIGH-LIGHT]. They can dumpster dive for a $750K-$1M mediocre forward.
    I'm trying to decide if there was sarcasm laced in that or not

In any case, if not.. Pens are more than deep at Center when your 2 best are healthy and if the Pens would decide to rightfully use Ben Lovejoy as a 7th Defenseman and skate Deryk Engelland as the 6th like they did all season long, they have an enforcer, a useful enforcer

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I'm trying to decide if there was sarcasm laced in that or not

In any case, if not.. Pens are more than deep at Center when your 2 best are healthy and if the Pens would decide to rightfully use Ben Lovejoy as a 7th Defenseman and skate Deryk Engelland as the 6th like they did all season long, they have an enforcer, a useful enforcer
    IMO, Malkin and Crosby are ?'s until we see how they play when/if they come back. Both may never be the same and may be often injured. Talbot, Rupp and Adams are free agents. That's 5 centers in question. That leaves us Staal and Letestu? I'd sign at least two more.

I guess I'm alright with Engelland as an enforcer... as long as the front office is.

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    IMO, Malkin and Crosby are ?'s until we see how they play when/if they come back. Both may never be the same and may be often injured. Talbot, Rupp and Adams are free agents. That's 5 centers in question. That leaves us Staal and Letestu? I'd sign at least two more.

I guess I'm alright with Engelland as an enforcer... as long as the front office is.
    IMO you can construct a team around worrying about future injuries and performance especially when it's regarding your 2 most expensive players. As long as Malkin and Crosby are on the roster you have to always figure them into playing and assuming they will be playing and at the level appropriate or near their pay. You can [probably do it a little different in the MLB where there's no salary cap but in a cap league, the Pens have to do it like this. That's the money they poured into those center positions.

Besides, with what little money we have under the cap, any center depth we would pick up is going to be Mark Letestu/Craig Adams caliber.

I'm starting Deryk Engelland as a 10-15 minute per game enforcer from the blue line, which is more than most teams get from an enforcer since most are 4-5 minute Eric Goddard type goons. I'm letting Talbot walk, I'm retaining Craig Adams, and any 4th line depth I'm filling as to be a guy that Kills Penalties since we'll lose that with Talbot being gone. That can be done for $500-$750K

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information