Thread: Smizik: "Draft a College Hitter"

Threads : 277

Default Smizik: "Draft a College Hitter"

The guy everyone loves to hate makes a case for drafting Rendon.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...itter-in-draft

I agree with Smizik (and Benny!).

Rendon, Rendon, Rendon....
    Last edited by DCBILL; May-18-2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: typo

Threads : 0

Default Re: Smizik: "Draft a College Hitter"

He makes good points. You have three very high upside arms that you know about. Then you have the Colton Cains, ZVR's, Jeff Lockes, Bryan Morris's, Rudy Owens's, Brad Lincolns, guys that you drafted/traded for that could all have some sort of impact at the MLB level. They have a good amount of pitching, with a couple studs. That's more than a lot of teams have.

What they do not have, is another impact bat/position player. Just a bunch of "Maybe he'll be a fourth outfielder..." or "maybe he'll be a good utility guy..." kind of players. And that's with the current crop of "stud" position players, like Pedro, Tabata, etc, struggling madly at MLB level.

Now, are you going to draft a pitcher that is probably not going to be an Ace with the number one pick, and really isn't the best player available by any means? Please explain the logic to me.

The latest round of "insider" reports are saying that Rendon's shoulder isn't going to be an issue. If that is the case, you're absolutely nuts to not draft him.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You dont draft for need...so it doesn't matter who you already do or do not have.

You draft Rendon b/c he is the most talented player not because he is a position of need.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

****... Now I'm doubting my personal desires to see Rendon get drafted is Afro Bob wants it too.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 277

Have an IC Light and chill, you'll get over it.

(ICL now available at my new favorite local restaurant, owned by a Pittsburgher, Chris Nardelli.)

Stick with your instincts, which is why I think Rendon gives them the best chance at "hitting it big" (no pun intended) with the first pick.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You dont draft for need...so it doesn't matter who you already do or do not have.

You draft Rendon b/c he is the most talented player not because he is a position of need.
    I never said Rendon wasn't the BPA in this draft, at any point. All I'm saying is that you'd have to at least take in consideration that you have a solid stock of pitching in your farm, before reaching on a pitcher instead of taking the BPA. Like, drafting Hultzen over Rendon would be the most horrendous move possible. If that happens, NH is Littlefield.

If they don't want Rendon, or Lindor (who I also had doubts about), Bubba Starling is probably the next best player. And from reports, the Pirates are looking at him.

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by The Curtain View Post
    I never said Rendon wasn't the BPA in this draft, at any point. All I'm saying is that you'd have to at least take in consideration that you have a solid stock of pitching in your farm, before reaching on a pitcher instead of taking the BPA. Like, drafting Hultzen over Rendon would be the most horrendous move possible. If that happens, NH is Littlefield.

If they don't want Rendon, or Lindor (who I also had doubts about), Bubba Starling is probably the next best player. And from reports, the Pirates are looking at him.
    I wouldn't completely discount the money aspect of this pick. If they can get a like player talent wise to Rendon and he costs less that could be the pick.

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If they can get a like player talent wise to Rendon
    And that would be who?

Lindor and Starling are not in his class at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post
    And that would be who?

Lindor and Starling are not in his class at the moment.
    I don't know I'm not FC or NH....they are making the pick. Maybe they have someone in mind that no one else has rated that high. Maybe they could take the 25th rated player and pay him slot like in 2009.

none of these pitchers rumored are considered reaches since they are... wait for it PFIV wherever you are... Legit #1 or top 3 ranked players for the draft right now. Doesn't mean I believe we should take them or personally feel that any of them are #1 overall pick quality but reading your post, it looks like you are already trying to create some scenerio to claim everything a complete and utter failure if Rendon isn't picked. The same thing existed in Pedro's draft in '08, people were creating reasons and everything else if Pedro wasn't drafted but it's not like some players below Pedro aren't performing well right now and if we had gone that route the outcome (most important aspect) wouldhave been just as rewarding, maybe more, maybe less.

Basically, equating taking a good pitcher like Hultzen over Rendon and comparing it to passing on Weiters for a Relief pitcher who was a true "reach" like Moskos is a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    I don't know I'm not FC or NH....they are making the pick. Maybe they have someone in mind that no one else has rated that high. Maybe they could take the 25th rated player and pay him slot like in 2009.
    This is a great draft (I felt last years was a pretty good one as was 2009) for teams being able to trade draft picks. It should never be done for money reasons and a slot system would help that out but this would be a nice draft that is pretty deep, to trade and stock up on some more upper number draft picks. IF teams have doubts and don't view any of these players as #1 overall quality and see a small drop off in potential future talent between The top 3 expert choices and later picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    none of these pitchers rumored are considered reaches since they are... wait for it PFIV wherever you are... Legit #1 or top 3 ranked players for the draft right now. Doesn't mean I believe we should take them or personally feel that any of them are #1 overall pick quality but reading your post, it looks like you are already trying to create some scenerio to claim everything a complete and utter failure if Rendon isn't picked. The same thing existed in Pedro's draft in '08, people were creating reasons and everything else if Pedro wasn't drafted but it's not like some players below Pedro aren't performing well right now and if we had gone that route the outcome (most important aspect) wouldhave been just as rewarding, maybe more, maybe less.

Basically, equating taking a good pitcher like Hultzen over Rendon and comparing it to passing on Weiters for a Relief pitcher who was a true "reach" like Moskos is a bit much.
    Taking a Hultzen, who doesn't even have the best stuff of this draft at number one is an utter failure. If he wasn't a lefty, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

The one pick is for the best player available, the guy who's going to best impact your organization. A Hultzen is like a very minor piece. He doesn't seem like an ace pitcher to me. If you have to go the pitching route, Cole at least has legit stuff and could be an ace if everything went right.

I don't want a pitcher, I don't buy any of these pitchers at number one. Yes, I feel like passing on Rendon for Hultzen would be somewhat close to the Moskos situation, but obviously not the same. Moskos was a dreadful pick and obviously not a top pick when we took him, Hultzen is at least on everybody's radar. I don't like passing on a potential elite hitter/position player to take a guy who is probably going to wind up a number 3 starter.

Taking a Hultzen, who doesn't even have the best stuff of this draft at number one is an utter failure. If he wasn't a lefty, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

The one pick is for the best player available, the guy who's going to best impact your organization. A Hultzen is like a very minor piece. He doesn't seem like an ace pitcher to me. If you have to go the pitching route, Cole at least has legit stuff and could be an ace if everything went right.

I don't want a pitcher, I don't buy any of these pitchers at number one. Yes, I feel like passing on Rendon for Hultzen would be somewhat close to the Moskos situation, but obviously not the same. Moskos was a dreadful pick and obviously not a top pick when we took him, Hultzen is at least on everybody's radar. I don't like passing on a potential elite hitter/position player to take a guy who is probably going to wind up a number 3 starter.
    Hultzen probably would be the value pick. If NH doesn't think there is enough separation among the top picks maybe he goes with someone like Hultzen who he could get for a lot cheaper than say Rendon.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information