Thread: Interview With Stevenson Sylvester

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Interview With Stevenson Sylvester

Earlier tonight, Steelers Chronicle made a new, very important friend. He is, of course, a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers, and to narrow it down a little more, part of one of the most complete linebacking corps in the NFL today. That man is Stevenson Sylvester.

Tom Jenkins: What was the reason that you chose #55, and have you drawn any comparisons to former Steelers linebacker Joey Porter because of it?
    Steelers Chronicle

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Interview With Stevenson Sylvester

Thanks for sharing that. Seems like another good, honest chap.

I do have to feel for him, though, with his number choice decision: 47 (Blount), 52 (Webster) or 55 (Kolb). Whether the new guys are aware of it or not, these numbers do carry a certain amount of zeitgeist presence. Mind you, we can't retire every number of a player we consider great - that would create major headaches.

I liked what I saw of Sylvester last season. I hope he make a big positive impact for us for years to come.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ooops! Bizarre double post phenomena... Sorry!
    Last edited by War Machine; May-19-2011 at 03:47 AM.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Definitely it felt more like talking to an old friend than interviewing a player. Gotta love his reasoning for ultimately deciding on 55, though, lol.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

55 is a little safer since multiple players have it since the 70's (Olsavsky, Porter, someone a couple years ago right after Porter left was wearing #55, along with 3-4 bums in the 1980's that wore it). I think a couple practice squad types have worn Blount's number,. Cant think of anyone thats worn Websters
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Out of curiosity, what is the talk about Sylvester or anyone stepping into Farrior's spot once he retires? This was the first I had really about it but it';s really something worth pondering because Farrior lost a good full step and more last season and if there's a lack of season this year, Farrior is going to lose even more. Is Syvester being primed for that spot?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

That's what I've been hearing when lurking on random message boards, he's a good fit for the middle in terms of mentality and tackling ability, and ultimately, I think that's where he ends up for the Steelers.

Chances are that he sees a lot of playing time in 2011 if there's a season, to groom him to take over in 2012.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

SS has made the most of his opportunities you have to like that. I kinda feel like he is being groomed for OLB but what do I know. Harrison will be around for a while but its such a key position for that D. You almost wonder if Timmons might be even better on the outside too tho. Good problem to have. The Steelers know LB.

I think Timmons is a good ILB but would be a great OLB. Not to mention we also just drafted Chris Carter, and still have Jason Worilds in the mix, lol. Definitely some good depth at the LB positions, all around.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information