Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some good news for the draft

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Some good news for the draft

From Buster Olney

Tis the time of year for draft machinations, and while this draft is regarded by executives as one of the deepest in memory, the belief among them is that there is no clear No. 1 -- no Stephen Strasburg or Bryce Harper. For a while, Rice third baseman Anthony Rendon was considered the favorite to be Pittsburgh's No. 1 overall pick, but he has struggled with injuries. Last week, Rendon signed a waiver that will allow teams to examine his medical history, and there is an expectation that as Rice gets into its postseason, he'll play on the field again. Some executives are already privately speculating that in the end, Rendon's best position in the majors might be at second base.
    Also, In MLB Rumors, Bundy has told us that he DOESN'T want us to draft him. Sounds okay to me, Mr Hands in your Pants.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Some good news for the draft

Draft Notes: Bundy, Bauer, Bradley, Rendon
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [May 20 at 9:13am CST]
    You know the draft isn't far off when eye-popping asking prices start to circulate. Here's the latest on the amateur draft, which isn't much more than two weeks away...

High school right-hander Dylan Bundy has told several teams, including the Pirates (1st overall) and Royals (5th overall), that he’d prefer not to be drafted by them, according to Yahoo’s Jeff Passan. Bundy believes in his long-toss program and doesn’t want teams to try to change his way of preparing for games. Pittsburgh expressed interest in Bundy and the 18-year-old’s representatives said they’re asking for a six-year, $30MM draft bonus - roughly twice the current record - to scare teams off.
    UCLA right-hander Trevor Bauer is also concerned that teams will ask him to stop his long-toss sessions, according to Passan.
    As Jim Callis of Baseball America explained earlier in the week, players sometimes set exorbitant asking prices (like Bundy's) to make sure they fall to a team that values them highly and is prepared to pay more than most clubs would. Bundy and fellow high school right-hander Archie Bradley are asking for record deals, with Bradley looking for $20MM over five years. As Callis explains, neither pitcher will top Stephen Strasburg's record mark of $15.1MM, but each could earn over $5MM in bonus money.
    MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes introduced us to Bradley earlier in the week.
    Some executives are wondering if Anthony Rendon’s best position will ultimately be second base, according to ESPN.com’s Buster Olney. However, Rendon is a tremendous defender at third by most accounts and he told me he takes his defensive game seriously.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...ndy-bauer.html

That is the Bundy stuff.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Now, I actually kinda want the Pirates to take Bundy...offer him less than or equal to Taillon and sit back and get the extra pick next year if he wants to go to college...just to be *******s.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Also, from an Olney tweet:
    Pirates going through due diligence on all possibilities. GM Neal Huntington saw Rendon for three days last week, sources say.
    Neal wanted to see him himself....probable good news we're taking Rendon.

And, btwn Walker and Rendon, I could care less who plays 2nd and who plays 3rd.

Now, I actually kinda want the Pirates to take Bundy...offer him less than or equal to Taillon and sit back and get the extra pick next year if he wants to go to college...just to be *******s.

Threads : 197

Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Huntington has seen Cole in person more than once and saw Hultzen last week. He was in Oklahoma to see Bundy recently as well. I think he's been out on a few other trips too.
    Last edited by jnn123; May-20-2011 at 11:34 AM.

This 2nd base talk is stupid...its because he hasn't played the field this year. Its amazing what stupid **** people come up with if a prospect is injured. He's a natural 3B.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Huntington has seen Cole in person more than once and saw Hultzen last week. He was in Oklahoma to see Bundy recently as well. I think he's been out on a few other trips too.
    I want to have JNN's official pick...and yes you can change it later...who you takin' #1 buddy?
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Here's the whole piece from Jeff Passan: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl..._debate_051911

It's kind of odd. The Royals are a team he doesn't want to draft him, and they seem to be one of the best teams at developing starters right now. The Nationals and Diamondbacks are listed as teams he would let draft him. I can't think of the last starter Arizona developed other than Max Scherzer, who they gave up on because they didn't think he could start long-term. Washington has John Lannan and Jordan Zimmermann. Lannan's not exactly a power arm, and Zimmermann has had multiple arm injuries. They also have Strasburg out with an arm injury. If I'm a starting pitcher and I'm choosing between those 3 programs it seems like a pretty easy choice. It's also worth noting that the Royals have 2 pitchers (Mike Montgomery and John Lamb) who are Alan Jaeger students who follow his long toss program.

He also mentions the Pirates as a team who limits guys to 120 feet. That's not actually true. They do require that guys throw on a line, though, which I guess is the issue. He's not going to throw from 300 feet on a line. I think it's a mechanics thing.

I want to have JNN's official pick...and yes you can change it later...who you takin' #1 buddy?
    I'd lean towards Rendon, but I'm not particularly locked in on that. I can definitely see the case for not taking him at #1 overall, but I don't like anyone else enough to go strongly in another direction.

Threads : 94

From Buster Olney
    Tis the time of year for draft machinations, and while this draft is regarded by executives as one of the deepest in memory, the belief among them is that there is no clear No. 1 -- no Stephen Strasburg or Bryce Harper. For a while, Rice third baseman Anthony Rendon was considered the favorite to be Pittsburgh's No. 1 overall pick, but he has struggled with injuries. Last week, [HIGH-LIGHT]Rendon signed a waiver that will allow teams to examine his medical history[/HIGH-LIGHT], and there is an expectation that as Rice gets into its postseason, he'll play on the field again. [HIGH-LIGHT]Some executives are already privately speculating that in the end, Rendon's best position in the majors might be at second base[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    Why is this good news?

What good are the medical records if the Pirates doctors can't personally examine him? It's a start but I would want to go over him with fine tooth comb with his checkered medical history.

And some executives think that Rendon's best position is 2nd base???!!!! WTF.... that devalues him greatly.

If he is healthy enough to play in the field that is a good sign.

This 2nd base talk is stupid...its because he hasn't played the field this year. Its amazing what stupid **** people come up with if a prospect is injured. He's a natural 3B.
    Maybe they don't think his bat will play at 3rd.

Maybe they don't think his bat will play at 3rd.
    Not to jump topics, but neither does K-Dro's at this point.

I think if Rendon hits .280-300, with high OBP, 15-20 HRs and above average defense that'll play just fine imho at 3b.

Not to jump topics, but neither does K-Dro's at this point.

I think if Rendon hits .280-300, with high OBP, 15-20 HRs and above average defense that'll play just fine imho at 3b.

He better do a h e l l of a lot better than that for the #! overall pick in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Huntington has seen all of the top players in person. He loves to scout players.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information