Thread: Taylor to Polamalu: Come to Orlando

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Taylor to Polamalu: Come to Orlando

From Scott Brown's blog, "View From The Press Box"...

Taylor to Polamalu: Come to Orlando
    May 19th, 2011

If Steelers safety Troy Polamalu doesn’t switch coasts in the coming weeks it won’t stem from a lack of lobbying on Ike Taylor’s behalf.

The veteran cornerback has been trying to persuade Polamalu to join him and a handful of other Steelers at Tom Shaw Performance Camp in Orlando with the NFL lockout threatening to wipe out all offseason workouts and practices at team facilities.

Taylor, linebacker James Farrior and cornerbacks William Gay and Bryant McFadden are among the Steelers that are training with Shaw at Disney’s Wide World of Sports complex or have spent time there this offseason.

What might keep Polamalu from joining them is his well-documented desire to stay in California during the offseason. Polamalu is so “family-oriented,” as Taylor put it, that he usually skips most of the voluntary practices that are held during a normal offseason.

Taylor’s plan for Polamalu working out in Florida without compromising the time he wants to spend with his wife and two young sons?

“He can bring his whole family,” Taylor said last week after working out under Shaw’s direction. “Him and his wife can stay in my bed, I’ll stay on the couch. That’s how bad I want him here. He can put his clothes in my room and I’m on the couch.”

Efforts to reach Polamalu have been unsuccessful but Shaw said the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year has told him that he plans to go to the Orlando area in the coming weeks.

“Troy said, ‘I’ve been injured for the last three years. Ike, James, William Gay haven’t missed a play so I’ve got to find out what they’re doing,’ ” Shaw said. “I can guarantee that we’ll do things that will strengthen his weaknesses because we do a whole body training, we don’t just do one thing. We sprint, we run, we backpedal turn and run. We add resistance to it. Well pull that sled with your arms.”

Polamalu, who turned 30 last month, has not played an entire season since 2008.
    Knee injuries sidelined the six-time Pro Bowler for six games in 2009. Last season, an Achilles injury cost Polamalu cost two games near the end of the regular season and hobbled him during the postseason.

Taylor and Gay, meanwhile, have yet to miss a game because of an injury. Farrior has played in 154 of 158 games since signing with the Steelers as a free agent in 2002.

All three swear by Shaw, particularly Taylor and Farrior. The two have been with Shaw for years, and they work out with the highly regarded speed coach -- in the broiling central Florida weather -- before the start of training camp every year.

“Training camp is a breeze compared to the stuff we do here,” Farrior said.

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Taylor to Polamalu: Come to Orlando

Troy could seriously use some better conditioning. I don't know how much he does but a little yoga and medicine balls aren't keep the guy healthy. 30 years old might not be ancient, but it makes the body heal slower and more in need of being in better shape than he was 5 years ago just to make it through
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information