Thread: Quad keeps Pedro on bench

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Quad keeps Pedro on bench

Quadriceps injury keeps Alvarez out of Pirates' starting lineup
    By Rob Biertempfel, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, May 21, 2011

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Third baseman Pedro Alvarez tweaked his right quadriceps again Sunday against Milwaukee. It continued to bother him the past few days, so he was held out of the lineup Friday against the Detroit Tigers. "Just taking precautionary measures," Alvarez said. "Hopefully, it's one of those things that by the end of the day it's gone." Alvarez collected three RBI on Wednesday, smacking a three-run homer off the Reds' Bronson Arroyo, and he has nudged his batting average up to .208. "It's never a good time to have to sit out a game," Alvarez said.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Right-hander Ross Ohlendorf (shoulder posterior strain) will throw long toss at 120 feet today and Sunday and said he expects to get back on the mound "sometime next week."

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Matt Diaz appeared a bit gimpy Thursday after grounding out in a game against Cincinnati, but he was fine yesterday. "He came out of the box awkward, landed awkward, went down the baseline awkward," manager Clint Hurdle said. "Once we got him back in the dugout, they looked at it and treated him yesterday and today. He feels pretty good."

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Hurdle grew up in Michigan as a Tigers fan. His favorite player was Hall of Famer Al Kaline, but Hurdle also has a soft spot in his heart for late radio announcer Ernie Harwell. "Fortunately, in 2009, I got to spend a day with Ernie. I'd listened to Ernie since the age of 6 on the radio. ... That voice. It's something I'll never forget. Childhood memories are kind of special."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_738229.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 197

Default Re: Quad keeps Pedro on bench

Colin Dunlap said Pedro Ciriaco is expected to join the team tonight and Alvarez is likely going on the DL. Last week when Pedro was injured Neal Huntington said Josh Harrison would be the most likely call up, so I'm not sure what happened there.

Threads : 94

Default Re: Quad keeps Pedro on bench

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Colin Dunlap said Pedro Ciriaco is expected to join the team tonight and Alvarez is likely going on the DL. Last week when Pedro was injured Neal Huntington said Josh Harrison would be the most likely call up, so I'm not sure what happened there.
    They probably didn't want to waste a 40 man roster spot on a short term injury.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information