Thread: Thinking Out Loud

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Thinking Out Loud

I know this wont go over very well and I already know the answer to the question...and its not really so much a question as it is a thought running away with me.

I wonder if the Pirates could flip Hanrahan for enough value that it would make it possible not to lose too much in acquiring Jose Reyes. I envision a lineup of Reyes-Tabata-McCutchen-Walker-Alvarez-Jones and get pretty excited. That is a group of 3 legit 35-40 base stealers at the top with solid power/gap power bats behind them. That's also a pretty **** good middle infield.

It would never happen, trading for Reyes that is, and we would never pay him what he'd want to stick around. But the kid is still only 27 years old and having a killer season...Wilpon hasn't helped his trade value with his idiotic comments of late.

Again...just thinking out loud...probably too loud...

I am allowed one crazy moment though
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Thinking Out Loud

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know this wont go over very well and I already know the answer to the question...and its not really so much a question as it is a thought running away with me.

I wonder if the Pirates could flip Hanrahan for enough value that it would make it possible not to lose too much in acquiring Jose Reyes. I envision a lineup of Reyes-Tabata-McCutchen-Walker-Alvarez-Jones and get pretty excited. That is a group of 3 legit 35-40 base stealers at the top with solid power/gap power bats behind them. That's also a pretty **** good middle infield.

It would never happen, trading for Reyes that is, and we would never pay him what he'd want to stick around. But the kid is still only 27 years old and having a killer season...Wilpon hasn't helped his trade value with his idiotic comments of late.

One? But seriously, I've wondered to myself what the cost of Reyes would be minus the trading Hanrahan thing. Quite honestly, in order to justify trading for Reyes, this team would have to commit to going for it this year, and I just don't think it's in the cards. Putting Reyes at the top of the lineup would be a sweet thought though. If the offense could just start getting hot, the pitching is doing well enough to compete. Of course, the way PIrate luck runs, as soon the hitting wakes up, the pitching starts sucking.

Threads : 413

Mets owner Fred Wilpon criticizes his All-Stars in interview
    11:08 PM, May. 23, 2011 |

NEW YORK — Jose Reyes isn't worth all the money he wants. Carlos Beltran is no longer a top-tier player. David Wright isn't a superstar.

Those aren't merely the opinions of some disgruntled New York Mets fan. Those thoughts come straight from the owner of the team.

Fred Wilpon had sharp words for the All-Stars and his teetering team in a newly released profile in "The New Yorker." He made the comments during the Mets' 4-3 loss to Houston on April 20.

"Lousy clubs, that's what happens," Wilpon remarked after the Mets missed an early chance to score, then gave up some runs. "We're snake-bitten, baby."

Reyes can become a free agent at the end of the season. There's been speculation the shortstop wants a contract similar to the $142 million, seven-year deal that Carl Crawford signed in the off-season.

"He's a racehorse," Wilpon said of the often-injured speedster.

"He thinks he's going to get Carl Crawford money," he said. "He's had everything wrong with him. He won't get it."

Beltran is finishing up a $119 million, seven-year contract the outfielder signed with the Mets after his monster 2004 postseason for Houston, when he hit eight homers and scored 21 runs in 12 playoff games.

"We had some schmuck in New York who paid him based on that one series," Wilpon said, referring to himself. "He's 65 to 70 percent of what he was."

As for Wright, Wilpon said the third baseman is "a really good kid. A very good player."

"Not a superstar," Wilpon said.

In a statement released by his agent, Wright said: "Fred is a good man and is obviously going through some difficult times. There is nothing more productive that I can say at this time."

The Mets are 22-24 and were off Monday. They start a series tonight against the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field.

In a statement, the team said: "We are handling the matter internally."

Much of the magazine story focuses on Wilpon and his Mets getting caught in Bernard Madoff's Ponzi scheme.

Madoff told "The New Yorker" that Wilpon "must feel that I betrayed him, as do most of my friends who were involved."

"I don't think Fred could be a nicer guy than he is," Madoff said. "He obviously loves baseball and loves the team."
    FWIW, these comments were here in today's paper. Wilpon believes this and is not saying so to hedge upcoming negotiations. Besides, being close to the NY market and watching Reyes, who admittedly has a lot of talent, I'm not convinced that he would be a positive influence on the Bucs. I'd rather wait and bring someone up through the system, or just leave Cedeno there. He actually hasn't been playing all that badly.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post

Reyes is having a killer year (as you said) plus 11 million contract this year and pending free agency next year....I think you know where I'm going with this.

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wilpon hasn't helped his trade value with his idiotic comments of late.
    Idiotic is being kind.

Threads : 0

I seriously doubt anyone is going to give Reyes "Carl Crawford money" especially after the Sox will more than likely regret giving Carl Crawford himself "Carl Crawford money".

But aside from that, he's going to test FA to see what kind of money he can get. So there's obviously no point in the Bucs trading for him.

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by The Curtain View Post
    I seriously doubt anyone is going to give Reyes "Carl Crawford money" especially after the Sox will more than likely regret giving Carl Crawford himself "Carl Crawford money".

But aside from that, he's going to test FA to see what kind of money he can get. So there's obviously no point in the Bucs trading for him.
    Spot on!

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We'd certainly have the fastest team in MLB and to be honest I wouldn't be opposed to putting together a gap hitting team with speed over one that is built on power, considering PNC Park not being a great home run hitters park but being a good fit for gap hitters.

One thing about Reyes is that he doesn't offer any cost certainty, something Huntington loves. Huntington is generally a big advocate of having control on players and obtaining Reyes through a trade gives us about half of a season worth of that unless we can definitely resign him before he hits Free Agency. Basically, trading for Reyes makes no sense if won't definitely have him beyond this season, because the 2011 Pittsburgh Pirates with or without Reyes won't be heading to the playoffs
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    We'd certainly have the fastest team in MLB and to be honest I wouldn't be opposed to putting together a gap hitting team with speed over one that is built on power, considering PNC Park not being a great home run hitters park but being a good fit for gap hitters.

One thing about Reyes is that he doesn't offer any cost certainty, something Huntington loves. Huntington is generally a big advocate of having control on players and obtaining Reyes through a trade gives us about half of a season worth of that unless we can definitely resign him before he hits Free Agency. Basically, trading for Reyes makes no sense if won't definitely have him beyond this season, because the 2011 Pittsburgh Pirates with or without Reyes won't be heading to the playoffs
    This is correct...and the Pirates couldn't sign him. That's why it is kinda crazy talk...but if the Pirates were willing to put the money out there he'd be a great addition and match the team dynamic well.

Its not going to happen...just something to think about/have fun with.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information