Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Hitters

Threads : 122

Default Power Hitters

We need more power! Do we have any 30-40HR power threats in the minors other than Pedro? If they do decide to try and move Malholm or Hanrahan at the deadline, I hope it is for some power!

Threads : 0

Default Re: Power Hitters

Nothing that is anywhere close to the majors. Maybe Curry, but who knows. I think it's pretty safe to say that we're awful at drafting impact power bats. I believe that Pedro will be that, but most good teams have numerous power bats. And here we are with Cutch leading the team in HR's from the leadoff spot.

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Do we have any 30-40HR power threats in the minors other than Pedro
    Pedro's a 30-40 HR Power threat? The only thing he's a threat to do is strike out 175+ times.

And here we are with Cutch leading the team in HR's from the leadoff spot.
    Switch him and Tabata at least.

I sure hope our pitching holds up. Otherwise........where's Reggie Sanders when you need him?

Actually, I believe Quincy Latimore was rated our best Power Prospect by Baseball America. Quincy currently has all of 2 HRs in 172 ABs at Altoona and is hitting 217. Jordy Mercer, SS leads the team with 7.

We seem to be devoid of legitimate power prospects.

Maybe we could trade for Brad Eldred?

Threads : 0

Pedro's a 30-40 HR Power threat? The only thing he's a threat to do is strike out 175+ times.
    I really hope you don't try to jump on the bandwagon when he's smashing HR's again.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quincy Latimore is not our best power bat. Never has been...that is either Cunningham or Curry.

People seem to view Cunningham like he's not even a legit prospect because he was injured and didn't make some list. Latimore has a career high SLG of .444....Cunningham's lowest season SLG is .437. Latimore has a career .408 SLG and a career .715 OPS. Cunningham? .484 and .812. In Latimore's best season (last year) he produced 52 extra-base hits in 573 ABs...Last season, Cunningham's worst thus far, he produced 56 extra-base hits in 488 ABs.

And for my boy Curry, who I will admit is playing against inferior competition and should be in AA right now...in 333 career ABs the kid has an absolutely brilliant stat line: .327/.444/.559/1.002....26 2B, 3 3B, 15 HRs, 59 RBI, 68 BB, 72 K.

PFIV can disagree and I know he will...but Curry should be in AA right now. His batter's eye is indicative of the fact that he's seeing pitches well and has advanced pitch recognition and makes good contact. That means that even if he's overmatched in AA immediately he's still likely to have prolonged, successful at bats. Curry is a legit prospect and a legit 1B power hitter. He should have been promoted earlier in the season (yes I said earlier) and he certainly should be promoted above Baker to AA.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do we have any 30-40HR power threats in the minors other than Pedro

Quick answer......No

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    People seem to view Cunningham like he's not even a legit prospect because he was injured and didn't make some list. Latimore has a career high SLG of .444....Cunningham's lowest season SLG is .437. Latimore has a career .408 SLG and a career .715 OPS. Cunningham? .484 and .812. In Latimore's best season (last year) he produced 52 extra-base hits in 573 ABs...Last season, Cunningham's worst thus far, he produced 56 extra-base hits in 488 ABs.

This is all absolutely correct but the one thing that is going to KILL Cunningham’s career is his K rate. He really really needs to get a handle on it. He was improved from last year early in the year but recently he has been on a K terror.

Threads : 122

Seems to me, with these answers, it is much clearer who we need to draft.

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    This is all absolutely correct but the one thing that is going to KILL Cunningham’s career is his K rate. He really really needs to get a handle on it. He was improved from last year early in the year but recently he has been on a K terror.
    I dont see how. I mean that. Lets say we put him in RF. He hits 25-30 HRs, which he is capable of as he continues to grow...and hits another 35 2B...and he K's 160 times. I dont see how that's any different than Adam Dunn or other power hitters. Cunningham is not going to hit 40 HRs...and he'll probably only occasionally get to 30...but he's got enough extra-base talent that his K's will be much less of a concern if he can keep them under 160. I think its going to be the lack of walks that is the problem...not the K's...or maybe its just that the two go hand in hand.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Seems to me, with these answers, it is much clearer who we need to draft.
    Rendon is not a 30-40 HR hitter if that's who you are talking about. He's a 20-25 HR hitter with gap power such that he'll hit in the high 30s-40's in 2B to go along with it.
    Hidden Content

Rendon is not a 30-40 HR hitter if that's who you are talking about. He's a 20-25 HR hitter with gap power such that he'll hit in the high 30s-40's in 2B to go along with it.
    I can live with that at 3B.

I really hope you don't try to jump on the bandwagon when he's smashing HR's again.
    If he does, feel free to run over me with that bandwagon. I'll be too delirious to care. As I've said before....I hope he proves me wrong. I really wouldn't mind it.

Quincy Latimore is not our best power bat. Never has been...that is either Cunningham or Curry.
    Ben........not according to Baseball America, or should I say, Dejan, who wrote the article. I never agreed with it either, but I remember him saying it was a real hard choice. Not a lot of power in our minors then or right now even including Cunningham or Curry.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post
    I can live with that at 3B.

If he does, feel free to run over me with that bandwagon. I'll be too delirious to care. As I've said before....I hope he proves me wrong. I really wouldn't mind it.

Ben........not according to Baseball America, or should I say, Dejan, who wrote the article. I never agreed with it either, but I remember him saying it was a real hard choice. Not a lot of power in our minors then or right now even including Cunningham or Curry.
    There were better choices than Latimore, though...and I dont care what BA says...Latimore isn't even a prospect in my book (at least not top 15)...and Curry and Cunningham are.
    Hidden Content

And responding to the Rendon part. I dont know about the rest of the draft talent, maybe you can guess what you're getting with Hultzen, but I can pretty well detail what you are going to get out of Anthony Rendon. You are going to get a 20 HR, 40 2B gap power hitter with a gold glove and great defensive range...to go along with advanced hitting ability, patience, and batter's eye. He could start at AA and hit .300. That's what you get with Rendon. If that's enough to make him the #1 overall pick, cool...if not then you better get a hell of a talent...b/c realistically...that would put him amongst the best 3B in MLB. I will take Ryan Zimmerman on my team...even if that means he's occasionally injured.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 277

Not to be repetitive, but I will.

Rendon, Rendon, Rendon, Rendon.... and

Benny to the PG, Benny to the PG, Benny to the PG.

(But, Benny, this reminds me of the the little guy praying to God everyday to help him win the lottery. Finally one day, a voice from the sky says, "Help me out, buy a ticket, buy a ticket."

Does the PG know you want the Bucco beat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information