Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default An article for the Rendon lovers out there

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: An article for the Rendon lovers out there

College Baseball Capsules: Rice star handles injuries, walks as draft nears
    May 25, 2011 11:24 PM
    By DAVID BRANDT, The Associated Press

PEARL, Miss. (AP) — Anthony Rendon's sweet swing has been one of college baseball's most productive the past three seasons, making the Rice third baseman one of the leading candidates to be the No. 1 overall pick in next month's Major League Baseball draft.

But actually seeing that swing is becoming quite the rarity. Rendon's season has been defined more by injuries and walks than home runs.

Rendon leads all of NCAA Division I with 76 walks so far this season, as pitchers have avoided him at nearly all cost. Tossing the bat toward the dugout for a slow jog toward first base isn't his first choice, but if this season's taught him anything, it's patience.

"Of course as a hitter, I want to go up there and knock the crap out of the ball," Rendon said. "That's what I want to do. But I can't go out there and hurt my teammates by swinging at balls in the dirt. You've got to take it how it is."

The 6-foot-0, 190-pound junior hit .388 with 20 homers as a freshman in 2009 and followed that with a .394 average, 26 homers and 85 RBIs as a sophomore.

Rice coach Wayne Graham doesn't hold back the praise when evaluating Rendon's swing — the 75-year-old coach compares it to Hank Aaron.

Rendon "has great wrists," said Graham, who briefly played in the majors during the 1960s before a stellar coaching career at the junior college level and at Rice. "His hands work so well. He's got a very similar bat action to Aaron. The way they load their hands, and the bat angle as they get ready to hit. The swings are nearly identical."

This season, Rendon's numbers have been much more pedestrian. He's batting .325 with five homers and 34 RBIs, though his on-base percentage is still a lofty .524 due to the consistent stream of walks.

Part of the offensive letdown was expected. Power numbers are down throughout college baseball this season because of the new NCAA-mandated metal bats that are much less potent than their previous counterparts.

But there's been other issues. He missed several months over the summer and fall after suffering a fractured ankle while playing for Team USA. Then a nagging shoulder injury, which Rendon described as a slight muscle strain in the back of his throwing arm, has relegated him to designated hitter instead of his usual spot at third base for much of the season.

It's been a difficult adjustment.

"Just the fact that you're only in the game every 30 minutes or so, you've got a lot of things running through your mind," Rendon said. "When you're playing in the field, you forget about at-bats, because you've got to make plays. It's frustrating because you don't get in that usual rhythm."

But even a struggling Rendon is a dangerous one. He's hit a team-leading 19 doubles, including one during a 2-for-5 performance in the Owls' 9-8 loss to Alabama-Birmingham in the Conference USA tournament on Wednesday.

Opponents still have plenty of respect for Rendon. Southern Miss' Todd McInnis, Conference USA's pitcher of the year, said Rendon was still the league's most dangerous hitter.

"If you fall behind, he's going to take care of things and make you regret it," McInnis said. "His approach is just tremendous. He doesn't look like he'd be a power guy, but I guess it's just his swing. If you miss over the plate, you won't see that ball again. That's just the sad truth."

Graham said Rendon's problems this season can't be attributed to one thing. There's been the shoulder injury, all the walks, and what Graham described as consistently difficult weather conditions that have held the entire Owls' offense to just 20 homers this season.

But he keeps Rendon penciled in the No. 3 lineup spot every game.

"It gets frustrating for him I'm sure, but on the other hand, he could explode at any time," Graham said.

Until then, the questions continue about his health and lack of production as the draft approaches. Rendon said his shoulder injury is improving, and hopes to play third base sometime during the postseason.

The Pittsburgh Pirates have the No. 1 overall pick.

"I want to be out there just as much as everyone wants to see me out there," Rendon said. "I'm close. It's just part of the game. You've got to overcome adversity."
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 31

I still think Rendon would be my choice despite the injuries and down numbers this year. His swing is still there and he's 21 or 22 so he should heal with no problem..hopefully. If he could do it before he should be able to regain his stroke and confidence. Unfortunately he won't get to play much until the spring. Boras will draw out this signing until the last minute which will render Rendon useless for 2011.

Because no one else has stepped up enough to claim the #1 spot without dispute, I'd still take Rendon. But not without reservations.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For those who care...I believe Rendon will be BA's highest rated prospect after this draft (or should I say the highest rated prospect by BA who comes out of this draft as he definitely will not pass Harper in the rankings).
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 0

I'm with Rendon as my first choice. Roll the dice on the injury, if you win, he's a superstar. If you lose, at least you tried. Taking Danny Hultzen is not trying. It's saying "Instead of risking getting better, we're going to try and get not worse."

If you're that worried about his health, there's still better alternatives to Danny Hultzen.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Curtain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm with Rendon as my first choice. Roll the dice on the injury, if you win, he's a superstar. If you lose, at least you tried. Taking Danny Hultzen is not trying. It's saying "Instead of risking getting better, we're going to try and get not worse."

If you're that worried about his health, there's still better alternatives to Danny Hultzen.
    Id take Danny Hultzen over Garritt Cole

The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information