Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt "King Kong" Curry

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Matt "King Kong" Curry

Matt "King Kong" Curry
    BigBen2112

[IMGL]http://collegebaseball360.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/5502984.jpg[/IMGL]The date was June 23, 2010.

The stage was the 2010 College World Series. The place where memories and champions are made. The stage where the best and brightest of college baseball's talent get the opportunity to not simply showcase their talent in front of the whole country, but get to prove that they are winners. On the night of June 23rd, Matt Curry did just that.

Curry's TCU Horned Frogs were playing against the Florida State Seminoles and legendary coach Mike Martin. Heading into the 8th inning the Seminoles maintained a commanding 7-3 lead. By the time Curry stepped to the plate with the bases loaded that lead had shrunk to two runs, 7-5, and after Curry was done so too would be the Seminoles.

The first pitch was close, but a ball. The second, Curry fouled off, clearly with bad intentions in mind. The third, a fastball that Curry could not catch up to. The fourth was in the dirt, but Curry is too good of a hitter to bite. The fifth pitch almost flies to the backstop. A full count with the bases loaded and two out in a two run game in the College World Series at the historic Rosenblatt Stadium. Could it be a bigger moment or a better opportunity for a player to shine? The sixth pitch, a curve, was delivered and in an instant Matt Curry became a legend. The pitch went out almost as fast as it came in and Curry new he had done it, he had it a grand slam, as soon as the ball left his bat. Everyone in the ball park, except the centerfielder Holt, knew what Curry had done.

The home run was not Curry's first, but it was his biggest. Even though TCU did not go on to win the College World Series, Curry's home run will always live on in TCU and College World Series lore. Said Curry, "I've hit some home runs, and I usually know when I get them...Definitely the biggest home run of my career."

Curry understood the moment and the opportunity given to him. He did not want to let it pass him by. Later, Curry said "I knew it could be my last college at-bat, and I was definitely going to go up and battle. I got a curveball early in the count and just missed it and fouled it back. He threw another one, and I didn't miss that one at all."

When I think about prospects or scout college players I look for players who are not only obviously talented, but have a penchant for winning. Players who carry themselves with a winning attitude. Players who not only have the ability to hit, field, or pitch the baseball very well, but can do all that with a certain big-game, winner, mentality. As I watched Curry that night I knew I had seen a special player. It is was not his one at bat, but his whole body of work, his scouting profile, plus that one big at bat. I had seen something similar as I watched Justin Wilson years earlier take his Fresno State team on his back and carry them to an unlikely College World Series Championship. I saw the same burning desire to win and be great with Curry as I had with Wilson.

Matt "King Kong" Curry has not disappointed me after I proclaimed following his signing that he was the future power-hitting first baseman the Pirates lacked. In his first, short season, work as a pro last year with the State College Spikes, Curry hit 21 extra base hits in his 197 at bats, seven of which were home runs, to go along with a nice first-year professional line of .299/.421/.477/.898. That's a pace that projects to 20 HRs and 59 extra base hits over a full 550 at bat MLB season. Not bad for a first year professional who was drafted in the 16th round. Not bad for a player who was seen as an "organizational" player by those who only saw "16th round" "college senior" and "signed for slot." Those numbers, while excellent, could be downplayed because they were against essentially the same talent, college level, that Curry had dominated during his senior year at TCU. What Curry has done since then, however, cannot be discounted.

[IMGL]http://www.dailymail.com/mediafiles/thumbs/275/193.67857142857/POWHAG4_I110512200554.jpg[/IMGL]Matt Curry was promoted to the Pirates' A-Ball, WV Power, team this offseason and has gone out and completely dominated the Sally League. In his 139 at bats thus far this season Curry is hitting .367/.477/.669/1.146 with 23 extra base hits, eight of which have been home runs. He has also walked more than he's struck out and has two times as many hits as strikeouts, something not replicated by even some of the top prospects (such as Pedro Alvarez). He is currently on pace for a Pedro Alvarez type year as he is hitting 1 home run per 17 at bats, the same pace Alvarez put up as he flew through the Pirates' system. Likewise, Curry is currently out hitting some of the top prospects in the Sally League such as 1st round pick Bryce Brentz and all-world talent Bryce Harper. Curry has a higher batting average, OBP, SLG, and OPS than both of these extremely talented, and more applauded, athletes. Likewise, his plate discipline and hitting approach has yielded a much superior k/bb ratio over both Brentz and Harper.

This emergence of Curry should not be much of a surprise to those who took the time to look beyond draft position, age, and signing bonus. Curry, was one of the most developed hitters at TCU and while playing against some of the best competition that college baseball could offer, Curry managed to set TCU records in various categories including doubles and walks to go along with Curry's continual progressive power numbers. Curry has an advanced, plus, hitting eye and pitch recognition to go along with his vast power potential. Add to that Curry's glove and his above-average defensive ability at first base and it is undeniable that the Pirates have found themselves a potential prize with Matt Curry.

With the recent promotion of Bryce Brentz, who is the same age as Curry, to the Red Sox Advanced A-Ball team in Salem of the Carolina League and the continual tear that Curry has been on one cannot but expect Curry to soon follow Brentz out of the Sally League. The question is whether, like Brentz, Curry gets promoted to Advanced A-Ball, to the Bradenton Marauders of the Florida State League, or if, due to Curry's more advanced glove and hitting approach, Curry gets the promotion straight to AA Altoona. Curry is 22 years of age and, again, due to his advanced approach both in the batters box and on the diamond I have advocated his promotion straight to AA Altoona where he'll be more challenged and have a better chance to learn and excel. Only time will tell where Curry will end up or how great of a prospect and player he will become. But it is undeniable at present that Matt "King Kong" Curry is starting to look like one of the top overall bats in the Pirates system.

The date is May 26, 2011...What will Matt Curry do next?

Last edited by BigBen2112; May-26-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 0

Default Re: Matt "King Kong" Curry

Maybe get him ready to play RF, since Pedro should be on first by the time he's called up. With hopefully Anthony Rendon on third. That lineup sounds a lot better than Overbay/Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by The Curtain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe get him ready to play RF, since Pedro should be on first by the time he's called up. With hopefully Anthony Rendon on third. That lineup sounds a lot better than Overbay/Jones.
    I dont know man. He's a pretty legit defensive 1B.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 215

What about Steve Pearce?
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Threads : 94

I have said from the get go Curry wouldn't be promoted before June....well we're almost there. I think starting next week and for sure after June 6 the hourly promotion watch will be on. If not I'm going over to Benny's house to help him plan the protest.

I have said from the get go Curry wouldn't be promoted before June....well we're almost there. I think starting next week and for sure after June 6 the hourly promotion watch will be on. If not I'm going over to Benny's house to help him plan the protest.
    The kid is legit. Get him to AA.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Benny you're the best

Benny you're the best
    . I know.
    Hidden Content

Right on cue...Curry goes out and hits 3-5 with 2 2B, 3 RBI, 1 R, and a SB.

Really...I can't imagine what else he could do to make the point.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't see why they wouldn't promote the guy myself. He's not showing any holes whatsoever. her's batting near .400 with 8 homers and more BB's than K's... Repeat that because it's fun - more BB's thank K's . I can't see a good argument for him not jumping over A+ to Altoona. He looks like he's pretty much checked everything off of Kyle Starks developmental check list for the A-Level

At the end of the season at this rate, Curry is going to get Legit status by all of the publications. There's no way he'll be left off of any Top 10 list by BA, BP, Law etc...

Quick question... I think it was Quincy Latimore who was ranked as having best power in the org coming into this season and with what Curry and Cunningham are doing and Latimore's massive struggles in Altoona this year... who would get the "best power" mention right now? I know it's not a full season sample size but for the hell of it...??
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

I would have never put Latimore above Cunningham. But yes, Cunningham will be the #1 power prospect. Curry will be amongst my top 8 prospects in my mid-season top 20 which will come out next week.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 0

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I dont know man. He's a pretty legit defensive 1B.
    I'm just trying to think of ways to make a Rendon/Alvarez/Curry future lineup work, should they draft Rendon. One of them would have to move to RF. Pedro, if not Curry? He has a cannon, but who knows if he can play OF.

Threads : 215

Hope I'm wrong, but Pedro is showing signs of being less than Rolen....Tons of potential, something always wrong.
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Quote Originally Posted by The Curtain View Post
    I'm just trying to think of ways to make a Rendon/Alvarez/Curry future lineup work, should they draft Rendon. One of them would have to move to RF. Pedro, if not Curry? He has a cannon, but who knows if he can play OF.
    Curry is tearing up the Sally league that's great but I'd hold off talk at the moment about finding ways to insert him into the ML lineup.

Curry is 22 years of age and, again, due to his advanced approach both in the batters box and on the diamond I have advocated his promotion straight to AA Altoona where he'll be more challenged and have a better chance to learn and excel.
    Finally the Pirates listened!
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information