Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So who's moving east?

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default So who's moving east?

If/When Atlanta moves to Winnipeg, I would think they would move to the Western Conference... So who's going to move to the Eastern Conference?

Detroit will whine like hell to play in the East, but IMO Columbus would be a better choice. I just think moving Detroit to the East will shift the balance of power too far to the East.... IMO not good for hockey. Plus that leaves Chicago as the only Original 6 team in the West. Columbus is in the Eastern time zone and I think it would really help fan interest to see teams like Montreal, Boston, Toronto, Pittsburgh and Philly come threw more often.

Or Nashville. They could move to the Southeast.... move Winnipeg to the Northwest and Minne to the Central.

Or maybe they realign and create something out of Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, Winne and Minne??? Like another Norris Division.
    Last edited by (419)BlackNGold; May-31-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Default Re: So who's moving east?

Ah.... this is what should happen....

Winnipeg to the Northwest, Minnesota to the Central and Nashville to the Southeast? .....Sorry Detroit!

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If/When Atlanta moves to Winnipeg
    ... Is this "for sure"?...

I'm gonna be relocating much closer to Atlanta in a few months, and was planning on attending a few games there... Bummer....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post

I'm gonna be relocating much closer to Atlanta in a few months, and was planning on attending a few games there... Bummer....
    Looks like a done deal. Just needs approval by board of governors. The sale needs 75% approval and to move the team only needs a majority. It has Bettman's OK, so it sounds like its just a formality.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367433

TRUE NORTH BUYS THRASHERS, SET TO MOVE TEAM TO WINNIPEG

Fifteen years after the departure of the Jets, the city of Winnipeg has arrived at a triumphant moment that many thought would never come.

NHL hockey is returning to the Manitoba capital.

The True North Sports and Entertainment group announced on Tuesday that they have completed a deal to purchase the Atlanta Thrashers and move them to Winnipeg in time for the 2011-12 season.

The sale is still pending NHL Board of Governors approval, which should occur on June 21 when the board meets in New York. The transfer of ownership requires 75 percent approval from the Board while relocation only needs a majority result.

Both True North and the Atlanta Spirit ownership group signed off on the deal that had been in the works for several weeks. Legal teams representing the Spirit group, along with teams from True North and the National Hockey League spent Monday night and Tuesday morning completing the final details of the purchase.

The franchise price is $170 million, which includes a relocation fee of $60 million. As determined by the NHL Board of Governors, the relocation fee will be distributed among the other 29 teams.

The team will play out of the MTS Centre, which opened in 2004 and has a capacity of just over 15,000 seats.

With a population of 762,600, Winnipeg will be the smallest market among the 30 NHL cities. The team immediately announced a season-ticket sales campaign in which they will attempt to reach 13,000 subscribers in a drive that begins on Wednesday.

A nickname for the team has not yet been selected. Ticket prices for games in Winnipeg will range from $39-$129 per game.

"For me, I think the old school jerseys and the name 'Jets' is pretty cool," Thrashers forward Andrew Ladd told the Canadian Press. "It would be fun to be a part of that again."

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman spoke at the press conference in Winnipeg where the deal was announced.

"Hockey in Canada has never been stronger," said Bettman. "We get to be back in a place we wish had not left in 1996."

Bettman was asked by TSN's James Duthie to describe some of the market conditions that were key to helping the NHL return to Winnipeg.

"The most important thing for any franchise is ownership, and having Mark Chipman and David Thomson is at the top of the list," explained Bettman. But if you think back to 1996, (the MTS Centre) didn't exist, we didn't have the same collective bargaining agreement that we have now, and I believe the market from an economic standpoint for Winnipeg and Manitoba is stronger than it was."

Wayne Gretzky credited revenue sharing, the salary cap, and league television deals as key reasons why hockey became sustainable again in Winnipeg.

"I think (those factors) allow a place like Winnipeg to not just have a team but be competitive," Gretzky told ESPN.com. "But I really thought after that (labour) deal in 2005 that places like Winnipeg and Quebec City would be viable again to support an NHL franchise. Because you know in Winnipeg they'll draw 15,000 people a game and that wasn't the case in Atlanta. Winnipeg can count on that."

Prime Minister Stephen Harper, a noted fan and hockey historian, issued a statement expressing his excitement about a seventh franchise being placed in Canada.

"Memories of the legendary Winnipeg Jets players such as Bobby Hull, Dale Hawerchuk and Teemu Selanne remain fresh in the minds of Canadians," said Harper. "I know that the new team will inspire countless young Canadians to put on their skates and carry on Canada's proud hockey tradition."

The Thrashers ownership group issued a statement to supporters in Atlanta while the press conference in Winnipeg was taking place.

"It's extremely disappointing to all of us that (this sale) became necessary after all other options were exhausted. We want to express my gratitude to you, the fans, for the years of dedication you have offered to the Atlanta Thrashers."

True North, whose principal owners are David Thomson and Mark Chipman, owns the MTS Centre and the building's current occupant, the Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League. The St. John's Telegram reported last week that a deal is already in place to move the Moose to Mile One Stadium in St. John's for next season.

The AHL issued a statement on Tuesday which stopped short of announcing a move of the Moose, but appeared to acknowledge that one is in the works.

"While our league will not be the same without the Manitoba Moose, our loss will be the NHL's gain," said David Andrews, President and CEO of the AHL. "Manitoba deserves to have NHL hockey, and we have no doubt that the NHL will be successful in its return to Winnipeg. Our sincere thanks go to the Manitoba Moose fans who have supported the American Hockey League loyally and passionately for the past 10 years."

According to TSN Insider Bob McKenzie, the team in Winnipeg will remain in the Southeast Division in the Eastern Conference for one year before the league realigns.

When the Jets left Winnipeg for Phoenix after the 1995-96 season, the NHL had four divisions. Winnipeg was in the Central Division with Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, St. Louis, and Dallas.

The mood in Winnipeg was jubilant on Tuesday morning as word spread that an announcement of the sale was pending.

"A lot of people will talk about the economic impact of having an NHL franchise and I think we can grasp that one very quickly," Winnipeg mayor Sam Katz told TSN Radio on Tuesday. "The one that basically cannot be qualified that, in my opinion is priceless, is how it makes the people of your city feel.

"You have to remember about 15 years ago, it was like someone stuck a fist through your rib cage an pulled out your heart. The fan support in this city was phenomenal. The only reason the Jets left here was simply because of the fact we did not have a proper facility and the powers that be at the time could not get their act together to build a new arena."

Atlanta mayor Kasim Reed admitted last week that there were no local ownership groups interested in purchasing and keeping the Thrashers in Atlanta.

"Anytime we lose a major sports franchise, it's tough," Reed told NBC television affiliate Channel 11 last Tuesday. "It's going to hurt the city, but we'll withstand it and get through it. We have a lot of positive things going on in the sports franchise space that we'll be announcing soon."

This is the second time that the city of Atlanta has lost an NHL franchise. The Flames played in Atlanta from 1972 until they moved to Calgary in 1980. The Thrashers began play as an expansion team in 1999.

When asked about how some current Thrashers players might feel about playing in Winnipeg, one former prominent player felt it wouldn't be an issue.

"They're going to love the fans here," former Winnipeg Jet and current city councilor Thomas Steen told TSN.

Thrashers forward Evander Kane sent a tweet expressing his thanks to the city where he began his NHL career.

"I want to thank all the Thrashers fans that supported us in Atlanta for my two years there. Very unfortunate there will be no NHL hockey. Thanks again. I will miss the great people and city of Atlanta," said Kane.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post

Sorry 'bout your luck. Maybe Bettman can get you relocated to Winterpeg too!

Threads : 82

Columbus coming here would be nice because we could get tickets down there lol. Also for Columbus it would be awesome imo. I think they would just replace the thrashers in that division tho. I cant see breaking up our division. Its kinda sad tho I had read that Atlanta was a good hockey town and the players liked it there. There just was no choice in the matter.

Sounds like (from what I read) Winnipeg is going to play in the Southeast division next season, while the league listens to proposals for re-alignment.

Threads : 126
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Being almost last in attendance the past few seasons probably didn't help their chances of staying in Atlanta either.

Threads : 1817

this is tough. Detroit is so close to Toronto, not far from Pittsburgh or Buffalo.

Winnipeg is probably closest to Minneaplois too

BUT ...

You move Detroit and Columbus is by nobody for a close rival (St.Louis and nashville are "kinda" close), since Detroit is much closer to Minneapolis and Chicago

I would think it makes more sense to move Columbus to the East personally, and just move Winnipeg into the Central since they are sort of centrally located in Canada east-west.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

BTW,,,, I am glad and ecstatic to see Winnipeg get a hockey team back. Atlanta was a bad idea along with a lot of bettman's wet dream expansion ideas. Get Phoenix back up into Quebec and a lot of wrongs got righted.

Speaking of Winnipeg, over in Hamilton, there's some bald ******bag who is the CEO of RIM/Blackberry most likely *****ing up a storm that Winnipeg got a team that easily and he fail;ed multiple times to bring one to Hamilton

Threads : 82

Well Canada having a NHL team makes a lot more sense than anywhere in the south. I still don't get it. I feel like you should have ponds that freeze over naturally as part of the requirements. It would even make more sense to start developing eastern europe and possibly have some sort of world cup. It would probably take the rest of my life time to realize that.

Threads : 158

Nashville makes the most sense to move East.

Threads : 61

Selfishly, I would LOVE to see Columbus move to the East. I love going to Columbus to see the Pens play, and seeing them play there twice a year instead of maybe once would be awesome!

However I think it would make more sense to move Nashville to the East since it will be the Southeast Division that will need a void to be filled. You could drop someone from our division (Pens or Flyers) to the Southeast, and bring in Columbus, but I think we have an awesome division, and I would never want to break it up.

I have heard that the NHL might consider actually leaving Winnipeg in the Southeast Division for one season, and see where the Coyotes end up before realigning teams. So if the Coyotes do go to Quebec, we might see Pit or Phi drop the Southeast (which would suck,) Buffalo filling the void left there, and Quebec filling Buf's void.

I am also glad to see the Thrashers move to Winnipeg, because I was worried that a Coyotes move to Quebec would force the Penguins to the West, and to me, that is the worst case scenario. If the Pens and Flyers can't be in the same division, they gotta at least be in the same conference.

Threads : 61

Because of the instability of certain NHL teams, especially in the Sun Belt, I personally thing the NHL should go back to naming the divisions after historic hockey names instead of regions. I'm cool with keeping the East and West conferences, but let's bring back the Norris, Patrick, Smythe, etc. divisions. By not regionalizing the divisions, you can be sure that key rivalries such as Pittsburgh/Philadelphia, Boston/Montreal, and Ranger/Islanders can always be in the same division no matter who moves where.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sid View Post
    Selfishly, I would LOVE to see Columbus move to the East. I love going to Columbus to see the Pens play, and seeing them play there twice a year instead of maybe once would be awesome!

However I think it would make more sense to move Nashville to the East since it will be the Southeast Division that will need a void to be filled. You could drop someone from our division (Pens or Flyers) to the Southeast, and bring in Columbus, but I think we have an awesome division, and I would never want to break it up.

I have heard that the NHL might consider actually leaving Winnipeg in the Southeast Division for one season, and see where the Coyotes end up before realigning teams. So if the Coyotes do go to Quebec, we might see Pit or Phi drop the Southeast (which would suck,) Buffalo filling the void left there, and Quebec filling Buf's void.

I am also glad to see the Thrashers move to Winnipeg, because I was worried that a Coyotes move to Quebec would force the Penguins to the West, and to me, that is the worst case scenario. If the Pens and Flyers can't be in the same division, they gotta at least be in the same conference.
    i've heard some talks about a group in Seattle havng interest in the Coyotes. They would need a new arena or promise of one up there but that would make alignment super easy and give Vancouver and a new team like Seattle a great rivalry.

i saw someone bring up nashville in this thread. problem i see with nashville is that they are closest to st.louis and nobody East except Raleigh.

i think you're gonna see columbus or detroit. a lot of teams might complain about detroit leaving their division like st.louis and chicago, but im sure Toronto would side with Detroit because that would make for a nice rivalry... That would be a nice power struggle. See how much sway Detroit has. If that doesnt happen, Columbus makes the most sense still IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information