Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second Pick is #61, as per DK??

Threads : 277

Default Second Pick is #61, as per DK??

Why don't the Bucs pick again, in the amateur draft, until #61?

Threads : 197

Default Re: Second Pick is #61, as per DK??

Because of the supplemental round for losing Type A and B free agents. It's gotten ridiculous at this point, so something will probably change in the new CBA. Tampa Bay has 12 picks before the Pirates have 2. Toronto has a ton of picks as well. I think there's a 10 pick stretch where 3 teams have 9 of those picks.

Guys who those teams got picks for:
    Chad Qualls who was on the Rays for about 2 months and was terrible.
    Brad Hawpe who was on the Rays for about a month and didn't play.
    Miguel Olivo who was never even on the Blue Jays. They traded for him and bought out his option just to get a draft pick.

It's actually pretty smart, but it's also the reason changes will be coming.

Threads : 277

Thank you for the prompt and comprehensive response and, you're right, it is pretty smart.

Threads : 0

Can we honestly say this is unfair or needs changed? I know it's not benefiting us now, but it WILL benefit us when we are in the position that TB was last off season. If the large market teams get to sign 3 or 4 All-Stars in one off season, why can't the smaller market teams have this advantage?

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by The Curtain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can we honestly say this is unfair or needs changed? I know it's not benefiting us now, but it WILL benefit us when we are in the position that TB was last off season. [HIGH-LIGHT]If the large market teams get to sign 3 or 4 All-Stars in one off season, why can't the smaller market teams have this advantage[/HIGH-LIGHT]?
    The big money teams can (A) afford to trade for a type A/B FA at the trading deadline then (B) offer him arbitration at the end of the season, lose him get a comp pick and then (C) still go out and buy a Gonzalez or Crawford.

Threads : 197

The team that has benefited the most from the compensation system is definitely the Red Sox. They're having a slight down year this time around, and still have 4 of the top 40 picks in a year where they lost their first rounder for signing Carl Crawford. They actually tried to kind of steal another pick by picking up Felipe Lopez on waivers really late in the 2010 season and offering him arbitration. He ended up signing a minor league deal, though. I think last year they had 8 picks before the second round began. The Angels have also made a killing with comp picks. It's very rarely smaller teams that have a ton of picks. This year is kind of an outlier with both San Diego and Tampa having a bit of a perfect storm.

Oh I see what you're saying. You want this done away with all together, or just tweaked to where you can't abuse it?

Oh I see what you're saying. You want this done away with all together, or just tweaked to where you can't abuse it?

How is it fair that TBay has 12 picks before the Pirates pick in the 2nd RD? Make no mistake this will change in the next CBA.

It's fair because TB got raped due to not being able to afford their own players. How else can you keep an even playing field?

I'd rather redo the entire financial system of the MLB, so it's not like I'm for or against any of this. I hate that we even have to have discussions about it since we shouldn't have these problems in a professional sport.

It's fair because TB got raped due to not being able to afford their own players. How else can you keep an even playing field?
    It's not fair because of the type of players that are qualifying as A/B FA's. Also how they are being acquired and how long they are being kept.
    Last edited by PittFaninVa; Jun-06-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    It's not fair because of the type of players that are qualifying as A/B FA's. Also how they are being acquired and how long they are being kept that is a problem.
    Definitely, but i think you're going to have a tough wall to get through the MLBPA to change the types of free agents rather than change the way the comp system works.

I know we talked about this briefly recently and I don't think there was really a good answer for a solution. Tampa desrerves something for the players they lost. At the same time, it's hurting the draft as well when other teams that should be beneffiting from the draft (like the Pirates for instance) are stuck having to wait an entire extra round to get their 2nd pick? thats an entire round of good talent, supposedly better than 3rd round talent that teams can't touch because of the comp system.

I don't have a good answer at this time. Anyone?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Definitely, but i think you're going to have a tough wall to get through the MLBPA to change the types of free agents rather than change the way the comp system works.
    I don't see why...the FA type (A/B) only deals with what picks are garnered when a team losses a FA. The FA's still get paid and that's all the union is concerned about. This rule was insisted on by the owners not the union.

I don't see why...the FA type (A/B) only deals with what picks are garnered when a team losses a FA. The FA's still get paid and that's all the union is concerned about. This rule was insisted on by the owners not the union.
    Ok... so how do you change it. Do you make it tougher to be a Type A? I think it's Top 20% statistically for A and the next 20% for Type B. Do you move it to Top 10% for a Type A and the next 10% for a Type B?

What about instead of rewarding Supplementals for Type B's, you award them the team that signs that player, their First Round pick? eliminate Supplemental picks. right now i think it goes Type A's receive the team that signs them, their 1st round pick, and a supplemental. Type just gets a supplemental?

Ok... so how do you change it. Do you make it tougher to be a Type A? I think it's Top 20% statistically for A and the next 20% for Type B. Do you move it to Top 10% for a Type A and the next 10% for a Type B?

What about instead of rewarding Supplementals for Type B's, you award them the team that signs that player, their First Round pick? eliminate Supplemental picks. right now i think it goes Type A's receive the team that signs them, their 1st round pick, and a supplemental. Type just gets a supplemental?

Threads : 45

Just make it type A's a 1st and 2nd, and type B's a second. Let a team essentially trade their draft and they might be more reluctant to do so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information