Thread: Apple's iCloud

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Apple's iCloud

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/06/a...-in-the-cloud/

Apple announces iTunes in the Cloud, iTunes Match

By Donald Melanson posted Jun 6th 2011 2:45PM
    Breaking News

Apple has just announced its long-awaited cloud-based music service: iTunes in the Cloud. While not a streaming music service as some had speculated, it will let you download any music you've purchased to all of your devices at no additional charge -- something Steve Jobs notes is a first for the music industry. All new music you purchase can also automatically be downloaded and pushed to up to ten different devices -- and, as with the other apps that make up the broader iCloud service, it's completely free, with a beta version available today (in the US only, unfortunately).

What's more, Apple has also announced a complementary iTunes Match service that will let you put your existing collection of ripped CDs in the cloud. That's done by scanning your library and matching songs to the versions Apple already has (a DRM-free 256kbps AAC file), rather than uploading everything -- a process Apple notes takes "minutes," not "weeks" -- although songs will be uploaded in cases where there is no match. It will run you $24.99 a year (for up to 25,000 songs, apparently), and promises to give you all of the "same benefits as music purchased from iTunes" when it launches sometime this fall.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Default Re: Apple's iCloud

I really like the concept. It places the rumors of this and Apple buying that gigantic warehouse to store servers together.

I've read as much as I've had time to over the past 24 hours with this, baseball draft, ios5 and wii-u stuff.

For $25 per year you can store 25,000 songs either store bought, ones you uploaded yourself and ones uploaded yourself that itunes also has virtually on the internet. Access them anywhere.

I love the concept of cloud storage as long as they don't start raping you with prices. For instance, $25 bucks per year is a good price for storage when you consider the costs of purchasing a cheap server to use as storage BUT.. the cost of a Hard Drive that is just as big or more costs about $100-$200. It's not that bad of a deal.

Now what would be nice if you could use the iCloud to all store other files. I hate having to log into so many different places just to get something. For instance, pictures stored at one place, documents stored at another, music at iCloud. I want 1 place to store everything virtually with the ability of any p[iece of hardware I have being easily compatible

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have 5 gigs for free with dropbox. All my devices are synched. The app for the iphone is great. The jailbreak app is even better. You can store any type of file you want. You can even give out public links as a server. Yave heard of people actually running websites off of dropbox. You can stream some things but I stream my video with airvideo and music with subsonic. Each gives me access to my entire collection at home on the go. Apple will gave to give me some for free or I won't use it.

Threads : 215

I have been using dropbox quite a bit.
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Ill be honest I haven't read up much on this but I have a hard time imagining they are offering something that I actually need. One thing for sure I don't need is another bill.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Find it hard to believe that this will only cost $25/ yr.Something odd about that.I like it,however.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Find it hard to believe that this will only cost $25/ yr.Something odd about that.I like it,however.
    Its a rip off imo. Bandwidth is cheap these days. People will buy this **** and never use it and Steve Jobbs gets even richer.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Its a rip off imo. Bandwidth is cheap these days. People will buy this **** and never use it and Steve Jobbs gets even richer.
    not 25 bucks per year for storage. certainly not for something that is somewhat reliable as well. you figure you crappiest low end servers with dialup like transfer speeds since they cram too many people on a shared server around about $5 per month or $72 per year. Not sure how Apple's iCloud speeds will be but they have to be better than budget cost low end shared servers

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    I have 5 gigs for free with dropbox. All my devices are synched. The app for the iphone is great. The jailbreak app is even better. You can store any type of file you want. You can even give out public links as a server. Yave heard of people actually running websites off of dropbox. You can stream some things but I stream my video with airvideo and music with subsonic. Each gives me access to my entire collection at home on the go. Apple will gave to give me some for free or I won't use it.
    we know that 5GB isn't enough for much not when you want to store all of your music, data and perhaps even pictures virtually. That's a nice deal for sure when it comes to doing something ltike data and a small music folder and picture folder, temp stuff etc... but I envision for myself at least, the ability to store every bit of personal data virtually. ive thought about how nice it would be to have a hard drive at home connected to your PC that is AFFORDABLE, talking $100-$200 that you could access like a server regardless of where you are and if your home PC is on as long as that modem itself is powered. Think external hard drive. only way i can think of to do this is to buy a server and **** that hassle

The virtual stuff for now is a good alternative IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    we know that 5GB isn't enough for much not when you want to store all of your music, data and perhaps even pictures virtually. That's a nice deal for sure when it comes to doing something ltike data and a small music folder and picture folder, temp stuff etc... but I envision for myself at least, the ability to store every bit of personal data virtually. ive thought about how nice it would be to have a hard drive at home connected to your PC that is AFFORDABLE, talking $100-$200 that you could access like a server regardless of where you are and if your home PC is on as long as that modem itself is powered. Think external hard drive. only way i can think of to do this is to buy a server and **** that hassle

The virtual stuff for now is a good alternative IMO
    Dropbox has 50/100 gig plans probably even more now. It just works like a virtual drive. Drag and drop into the folder and it magically appears on all synced computers. Gmail is the original cloud. Between gmail, dropbox and the streaming apps I have access to pretty much everything from the phone right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    not 25 bucks per year for storage. certainly not for something that is somewhat reliable as well. you figure you crappiest low end servers with dialup like transfer speeds since they cram too many people on a shared server around about $5 per month or $72 per year. Not sure how Apple's iCloud speeds will be but they have to be better than budget cost low end shared servers
    The server for my website and email is like 50 bucks a year. I only have like 10 gig but its unlimited up and down and like I keep saying dropbox is almost 5 gigs and its free. Also reliable. Apples iCloud also is a bit misleading if you put in a cd for example, it just gives you access to the itunes databass and knocks it off your total. Its not really YOUR space. They are just charging you for songs that you have already paid for.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Soooo,just for ****s and giggles,say I sign up and DL a **** ton of songs and then quit after the first year,I lose everything right??

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know I'm going to be labeled a thread ****ter here, but **** technology.

Technology sucks, it's all about creating something that sells - or makes you buy more **** after you buy the product.

There's a lot to be said about using the "outdated" technology that has been passed by for the new flavor of the day. First, it works. Second, you don't have to buy this and that to make it work and you're not going to be the unknowing target of advertising bombardment since most new technology involves creating new ways to track your every move and shove ads in your face.

**** it, if it's new - I'm ignoring it. I have a lot of **** and it works. I'm not changing it because a bunch of stuffed pin-striped suit ****s want to improve investor distributions.

I'll take the money (and time and hassle) that I save by not investing in new technology and use it to fund my beach vacation project.
    Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Soooo,just for ****s and giggles,say I sign up and DL a **** ton of songs and then quit after the first year,I lose everything right??
    Thats not really how it works tho. You have to have ownership of the music first. Then again I still havent dug into the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    I know I'm going to be labeled a thread ****ter here, but **** technology.

Technology sucks, it's all about creating something that sells - or makes you buy more **** after you buy the product.

There's a lot to be said about using the "outdated" technology that has been passed by for the new flavor of the day. First, it works. Second, you don't have to buy this and that to make it work and you're not going to be the unknowing target of advertising bombardment since most new technology involves creating new ways to track your every move and shove ads in your face.

**** it, if it's new - I'm ignoring it. I have a lot of **** and it works. I'm not changing it because a bunch of stuffed pin-striped suit ****s want to improve investor distributions.

I'll take the money (and time and hassle) that I save by not investing in new technology and use it to fund my beach vacation project.
    Yeah you can do that but you don't carry a cell phone? I figured as long as they are raping me on the bill I might as well have a kick *** phone. I spend a lot more on the connection than the appliance itself or whatever else. Obviously I am not anti-tech but I think these mobile devices are the greatest things to come along. It frees me from sitting in front of a computer and I get do my thing during times that would otherwise be downtime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information