Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirates Top 30 Picks

Threads : 277

Default Pirates Top 30 Picks

If someone put this up, the mods can take it down.

But, without trying to highjack Steelreign's thread, I just wanted to let people see a partial list of who the Bucs chose and where, along with some team commentary.
    I hope folks see it as complementary to the superb "Day 2" draft post.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/ml...r&ft=TM&fv=pit

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pirates Top 30 Picks

Nick Flair.....Whooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 197

The rounds after 30 are mostly org depth and some fallback plans. What's on that list is usually it for the draft. First impression is positive, but it does seem like NH threw a lot of eggs in the Josh Bell basket. If he signs it's a great draft. If he doesn't sign it's still pretty good, but they could have done a better job lining up a backup plan. Guys like Derek Fisher and Matt Dean were available for a while after that pick, so they could have taken a shot there in case things don't work out. Some seem to think Bell isn't signable, while Kevin Goldstein believes you might be able to get it done with $5+ million. Hopefully Huntington knew something here.

I really like Dickerson in the third. Bat only player, but I think he'll hit. The later picks are mostly solid. Aaron Brown and Trea Turner are high school position guys I'd like to see signed. There are good prep pitchers mixed in there, but I don't know that there's a true standout must sign in there. I'd be fine with whoever as long as they sign a good number of them.

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nick Flair.....Whooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
    You beat me to it! LMAO!

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    First impression is positive, but it does seem like NH threw a lot of eggs in the Josh Bell basket. If he signs it's a great draft. If he doesn't sign it's still pretty good, but they could have done a better job lining up a backup plan.
    NH drafted a lot of big high-school arms with college commitments after round 3. I would expect they'll take some money to sign. My guess is that's the backup plan.

Quote Originally Posted by KJtheWicked View Post
    You beat me to it! LMAO!
    I just couldn't resist

Quote Originally Posted by Daskid View Post
    NH drafted a lot of big high-school arms with college commitments after round 3. I would expect they'll take some money to sign. My guess is that's the backup plan.
    Well, with the Buccos not targeting any international players this year, there is quite a bit of money available to sign these college committed players. That is around $4.5 million more available to apply to the draft which could get quite a few players signed.

Threads : 277

I hope NH is bold.

I would lay $4-$5 Mil on Bell (Boras!), plus a create $100k per year "college fund," to insure that he has the resources to get his degree.

I'd introduce him to all of the people at Pitt and CMU and hope he "buys in."

(I thought I read somewhere that Bell's mother is a college professor, maybe at UT??)

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    I hope NH is bold.

I would lay $4-$5 Mil on Bell (Boras!), plus a create $100k per year "college fund," to insure that he has the resources to get his degree.

I'd introduce him to all of the people at Pitt and CMU and hope he "buys in."

(I thought I read somewhere that Bell's mother is a college professor, maybe at UT??)
    $100G a year? College ain't THAT expensive. Let him go to his mother's school. She gets a discount. Plus what the hell do you think the $4-5 Mil will get him? A change of underwear? Kid hasn't proven diddley squat yet and the absolute Worst thing you can say about someone is that he has potential.

Sorry to come down so hard but JHC, it amazes me sometimes how freely we throw around someone else's money.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    $100G a year? College ain't THAT expensive. Let him go to his mother's school. She gets a discount. Plus what the hell do you think the $4-5 Mil will get him? A change of underwear? Kid hasn't proven diddley squat yet and the absolute Worst thing you can say about someone is that he has potential.

Sorry to come down so hard but JHC, it amazes me sometimes how freely we throw around someone else's money.
    You know why that is don't ya? We don't have any of our own money to throw around

Threads : 0

Yeah but...why in the world are you going to take a first round talent in the second round, due to him dropping because he told teams he wouldn't sign, if you aren't going to throw a bunch of money his way? By assuming they're not going to offer him a lot of money, you're insulting Pirates management's intelligence.

What else are we going to use that money for? Signing Lyle Overbay in the off season? Or maybe he has an even more disappointing younger brother that we can get to play third base. Our GM is taking the best talent available. On picks 1 and 2 this year, he took the BPA's (I suppose that's arguable with Cole, but that's neither here nor there) and by doing that, you know you have to spend.

What's wrong with that? When you're not going to play the absurd FA game, you have to spend in the draft. If you're not going to take the BPA, and you're not going to spend the money, then you may as well just draft Dan Moskos over and over again for the next 10 years and see how that plays out.

Threads : 66

I would LOVE to see Nick Flair wrestle the SS job from Ronny C.

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post
    I would LOVE to see Nick Flair wrestle the SS job from Ronny C.

It's not in the script.

Threads : 66

It's not in the script.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Curtain View Post
    Yeah but...why in the world are you going to take a first round talent in the second round, due to him dropping because he told teams he wouldn't sign, if you aren't going to throw a bunch of money his way? By assuming they're not going to offer him a lot of money, you're insulting Pirates management's intelligence.

What else are we going to use that money for? Signing Lyle Overbay in the off season? Or maybe he has an even more disappointing younger brother that we can get to play third base. Our GM is taking the best talent available. On picks 1 and 2 this year, he took the BPA's (I suppose that's arguable with Cole, but that's neither here nor there) and by doing that, you know you have to spend.

What's wrong with that? When you're not going to play the absurd FA game, you have to spend in the draft. If you're not going to take the BPA, and you're not going to spend the money, then you may as well just draft Dan Moskos over and over again for the next 10 years and see how that plays out.
    You can't throw $4-5 million at a 2nd round pick. MLB would throw a ***** that Slot went over that much. It screws up the signings for other players and agents and teams and really creates a mess.

What was the word I heard? I swear it was something about if Bell didn't go Top 5 he wouldn't sign. Tony Sanchez signed for slot at $2.47 million. I'd look at that price and probably nothing beyond it.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information