Thread: Pens Re-Sign Forward Craig Adams

Threads : 30
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pens Re-Sign Forward Craig Adams

Pens Re-Sign Forward Craig Adams
    Thursday, 06.09.2011 / 3:45 PM / News Pittsburgh Penguins

The Pittsburgh Penguins signed forward Craig Adams to a two-year contract, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

The contract has an average annual value of $675,000, and runs through the 2012-13 season.

Adams, 34, played the last two-plus seasons with Pittsburgh and was a key contributor to the teamís Stanley Cup championship season in 2009. Adams, who was originally claimed off waivers by Pittsburgh March 4, 2009, was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent July 1, but chose instead to re-sign with the Penguins.

A two-time Stanley Cup champion, Adams (6-foot, 197 pounds) has been a key defensive player and penalty killer for the Penguins since arriving in Pittsburgh. Adams, who led the teamís forwards with 3:05 shorthanded minutes per game, helped Pittsburgh become the No. 1-ranked penalty killing unit in the NHL in 2010-11 with a success rate of 86.1 percent Ė the first time in franchise history the Penguins boasted the leagueís top PK.

In his 10-year NHL career, Adams has totaled 115 points (41G-74A) in 669 career games while also playing for Carolina (2000-08) and Chicago (2008-09). Heís added nine points (6G-3A) in 73 postseason games, and won his first Stanley Cup with Carolina in 2006.

Adams played four seasons at Harvard University (1995-99). He totaled 29 goals and 62 points in his collegiate career.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=TH|PIT|home

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pens Re-Sign Forward Craig Adams

Good signing. Underrated but Craig Adams is what you want from a 4th Line player. He's an above average Penalty Killer that can take draws and makes less than $750k. His work on the PK alone is worth the value
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 206

Yep, I agree with Kipper.

So who is next? Who should be next?

There's some cheaper signs that can be made, should be made. Guys like Mike Rupp IMO. He was about a $825K cap hit and really shouldn't be much more than that. Definitely not $1 million. nice grit guy for the 4th line with a little scoring pop, fights middleweights can take a shift on any line if needed.

Arron Asham is another. I know the guy was injured this year but he's an assett when he's healthy. He fights heavy weights, he has scoring touch where he can play 3rd and 4th line minutes. Gritty game and cost only $700K last year. His cost won't be much mroe than that.

These are 2 guys we don't have in the system. We saw last year what we have, thanks to the injuries and what none of those guys are, are gritty, fighting, special teams type players. Guys like Conner, Jeffrey, Johnson etc... their only assets are really that 3rd line wing type position that Kennedy has because they all lack any grit and special skill for the 4th line and none of them are good enough offensively to skate on the Top 2 lines as we discovered. Basically all of those guys are really organizational depth with no ceilings. We saw the offensive production they provided when we had injuries.

I would say about $1500-1700 tied up between a Rupp and Asham. That leaves us with barely $1 million or more in cap space which means - see ya Max, see ya Duper and see ya TK... which is where you end up seeing guys like Jeffrey and Conner signed for a combined $1 million or slightly more.

Lines ..

Kunitz - Crosby - Neal
    ???/Tangradi - Malkin - ???/Staal
    Cooke - Letestu/Staal - ???/Johnson/Tangradi/Jeffrey
    Rupp - Adams - Asham

Poor Geno anyway you look at it

IMO, who's next will be who's willing to sign for a "little" less. Who wants to stay in Pittsburgh? Shero needs value. I think Rupp would want to stay in the burgh, since it's close to his original home. Asham's been everywhere so it's hard to say with him, but maybe it's time for him to settle down. I'd like both to resign. As much as we all like flashy players... they usually cost more $$$. So it's hard to argue against hard-working gritty players, especially in our division.

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IMO, who's next will be who's willing to sign for a "little" less. Who wants to stay in Pittsburgh? Shero needs value. I think Rupp would want to stay in the burgh, since it's close to his original home. Asham's been everywhere so it's hard to say with him, but maybe it's time for him to settle down. I'd like both to resign. As much as we all like flashy players... they usually cost more $$$. So it's hard to argue against hard-working gritty players, especially in our division.
    The problem I see is that the 2 expensive players we have in FA (TK and Talbot) IMO make too much even taking a home team discount or in Talbot's case, salary reduction to even entertain. Kennedy deserves a raise. Maybe not $2 million like he could get in the open market but a nice increase from $725K. He should easilty break $1 million. Talbot is making $1.050 as it is. I just can't see us being able to afford either of them even with a discount.

asham has been everywhere, definitely. I just think he's a good bargain at $700k if he can stay healthy. He's getting up there in age, which is something to consider. Same with Rupp but we currently have nothing resembling that type of cheaper end grit and skill in the system. If the Pens want to keep dicking Engelland around in favor or Lovejoy, we need that Rupp and sham grit. There's no way we sign Godard nor should we

IMO, if the Pens try to lowball TFK, he should go elsewhere. He owes it to his family to get paid! And maybe he somehow flurishes elsewhere... although he hasn't been bad in Pittsburgh.

I think Talbot's fate may have been sealed with the re-signing of Adams.
    Last edited by (419)BlackNGold; Jun-10-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    IMO, if the Pens try to lowball TFK, he should go elsewhere. He owes it to his family to get paid! And maybe he somehow flurishes elsewhere... although he hasn't been bad in Pittsburgh.

I think Talbot's fate may have been sealed with the re-signing of Adams.
    the thing with TFK is that the Pens can really only afford to low ball him. I can't see any way to keep him unless we trade someone. He deserves to make over $1 million and we can't afford that right now which sucks since... Cooke's contract will be up after next season and TFK is younger and would make for a better long term 3rd line player than Cooke who is going to be 33 when the 2011-12 season starts.

Scratch that, Cooke si signed through 2012-13 anyways.

Whoops... Yeah I agree about Talbot's fate. The guy really is expendable at his price. good Penalty killer but not at his price can we afford. the key though will be to make sure we have a replacement for Talbot penalty kiling minutes even if it means transforming someone into that

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love Talbot but he does diddley **** for the team. If he wants to come back for league min, fine but otherwise thanks for those goals in the Stanley Cup Finals. Buh bye. I haven't paid attention, I hope we didn't sign Rupp. We need less role playing good guys that never score and more guys that can put the puck in the net like TFK. Is this guy really a hot commodity? We can't bring him back for whatever 20 goals are worth to us? Not only 20 goals but the kid hustles. He keeps teams honest.

Threads : 61

Great to have Adams around another couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    If the Pens want to keep dicking Engelland around in favor or Lovejoy, we need that Rupp and sham grit. There's no way we sign Godard nor should we
    I agree.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information