Thread: Who is the bigger surprise?

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Who is the bigger surprise?

Who wudda thunk that both Morton AND Karstens would have ERAs UNDER 3.00. I know *I* predicted that. lol.

Threads : 8

Default Re: Who is the bigger surprise?

For the sake of discussion, I'll go with Karstens as the bigger surprise.

At least with Morton, you always felt he had the potential. With Karstens, it's always felt more like smoke and mirrors.

Threads : 215

Imagine if McDonald came around and Correia and Maholm held up!

I had the faith in Karstens.
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Threads : 150

Quote Originally Posted by Daskid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For the sake of discussion, I'll go with Karstens as the bigger surprise.

At least with Morton, you always felt he had the potential. With Karstens, it's always felt more like smoke and mirrors.
    Agreed.

And also Karstens wasn't even supposed to be part of the rotation. He only got in there when Ohlendorf went down.

Threads : 91
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll go with Morton just so it's not unanimous.

Karstens showed flashes of being solid during other stints in the rotation.

Morton looked to be a real problem child on the mound coming into this season.
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They mentioned last night during the game that Karstens has improved his stamina. they mentioned how he would get to 70 pitches or 60 and his pitches would get flat and he'd start leaving balls up. Now they mentioned that he's gained some endurance and his pitches are lasting longer in pitch counts as the season has gone on.

It's tough to say one or the other at this point. I'd have to go with Karstens since I've always felt Morton had the potential to be good, I just didn't expect a sub 3-era good. Karstens is probably a full run or so below any expectation
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 122

Karstens. Correia is also rather surprising coming off a subpar year last year. Nice pickup. Keep it going rotation! Get them some bats Neil!

On a side note...Correia is pretty young and only signed through next season. Is he someone we should target to hold onto to anchor the rotation? Maybe not as the ACE but a very solid starter in the 1 through 3 range of a 5 man setup?

Exciting times right now IMHO. Just need some bats!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Karstens. Correia is also rather surprising coming off a subpar year last year. Nice pickup. Keep it going rotation! Get them some bats Neil!

On a side note...Correia is pretty young and only signed through next season. Is he someone we should target to hold onto to anchor the rotation? Maybe not as the ACE but a very solid starter in the 1 through 3 range of a 5 man setup?

Exciting times right now IMHO. Just need some bats!
    I have to chime in here..

I was practically all alone this offseason saying that we should potentially expect to see mroe of Correia's 2009 results than his 2010 results. Reason being that he pitched last year thro0ugh the tragedy of his brothers death and his numbers sank potentially because of that. Before that in 2009, he put up good numbers. If his psyche was clearer this season there was no reason that his results shouldn't be closer to 2009's while 2010 could be considered a fluke/tragedy season.

so far, he looks like a guy with a clear psyche which is awesome. It also saves me from getting reamed for my defense of the Correia signing this offseason.

Morton and Correia have shown the potential to be as good as they have been this year. morton has been better than anyone expected him to be. i don't think we ever saw it with Karstens. We knew that he was a valuable player to this team and Karstens might as well be one of the more valuable pitchers on this staff because he can pitch great long relief in the pen and do what he's doing now and jump in the rotation and pitch well above everyone's expectations. I don't think anyone saw him as ever having the potential to really pitch this well consistently as a starter. Maybe a spot start here or there but not as a regular starting pitcher.

Here's another one we should mention... and it's not a player..

Ray Searage. I was sure as hell not one of them that thought he would have this much of a positive impact on the pitching staff, not since he was practically Kerrigan's assistant last year until kerigan was canned. The entire staff is pitching far better than last season which to me is the biggest suprise. some guys had potential but never thought the entire pitching staff would do this well. You have to give Ray Searage some major credit. Whatever he's doing, it's worked so far

Threads : 35

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    My inaccurate gut tells me that Correia is just in the Burgh to build his resume - the best option he had coming out of 2010. He will move himself to greener pastures (interpret that any way that you want) at the earliest opportunity. Chances of signing and keeping him are, in my opinion, pretty low.

Threads : 12

Quote Originally Posted by carney2 View Post
    My inaccurate gut tells me that Correia is just in the Burgh to build his resume - the best option he had coming out of 2010. He will move himself to greener pastures (interpret that any way that you want) at the earliest opportunity. Chances of signing and keeping him are, in my opinion, pretty low.
    If Correia maintains his pace, the Pirates should try to extend his contract. Correia mentioned that one of the reasons that he signed with Pittsburgh is because the Pirates said that they would give him the opportunity to 'be the man.' Other teams had him slotted for the 3 or 4 slot. He welcomed the challenge to be the #1 starter and thus far, he has earned his keep.

Quote Originally Posted by carney2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBinAL View Post
    If Correia maintains his pace, the Pirates should try to extend his contract. Correia mentioned that one of the reasons that he signed with Pittsburgh is because the Pirates said that they would give him the opportunity to 'be the man.' Other teams had him slotted for the 3 or 4 slot. He welcomed the challenge to be the #1 starter and thus far, he has earned his keep.
    When Correia's 2 year contract is up here, he will be 32 years old and we'll have guys coming through the system to bump him out. Which is what you technically want. Younger and cheaper talent to come through and push out the more expensive, aging vets. Unless there's set backs and what not, which we'll find out over time, I'm personally not extending a guy currently makng $4 million per at the age of 32. He's going to make more money than he'll be worth heading forward at that age IMO. We will also have some big name players to potentially sign to big deals and eat up a lot of payroll by then and then.

Pretty soon we'll be playing the payroll game with guys. 32 year old pitchers making more than $4 million per won't be something the Pirates can afford to carry if all goes to plan

Threads : 0

Correia needs to be traded at the deadline this year. He's our most valuable trade piece, along with Maholm and Hanrahan, I would say. Don't have to trade all three of them, but I would most definitely move Correia. You know there's teams out there looking for a vet pitcher for their playoff push. We could probably net a good prospect for him.

Who would have thought at this point last year, we'd have this much depth at starting pitcher?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information