Thread: Some New Exciting Pittsburgh Sports Tavern Changes

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Some New Exciting Pittsburgh Sports Tavern Changes

Some Exciting new changes coming to the Pittsburgh Sports Forum!!!

I'm calling this... PSF 2.0

I would like to take the time to announce that I am currently planning to update the Message Board/Forum software which is basically what the entire website runs on, Sunday (June 12, 2011) at Midnight. Technically that would be Monday.

I had been waiting for vBulletin, the software company we use for the Mesasage Board/Website to upgrade it's Text Editor. This way I didn't have to continue updating every piece of the forum every 2 months. I could do it all at once.. With the absence of any Football and Hockey right now, Summer busy schedules and with just the surprising and solid play of the Pirates, it's a deader time for the The Forum. We are seeing anywhere from 40-55 members logged on during the day instead of our usual peak of 90-120.

Perfect time for me to upgrade software.

Currently we are using the 4.0.3 Software for the Forum and version 4.1.4 is out. Which means there have been upgrades of 4.0.4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - 4.1.0,1,2,3 which I have not applied. It's been a while. May 2010 was the last time I updated the Forum software. The Reason for this is that in version 4.0.4 they did a complete overhaul of how styles are applied which means everything you see for graphics, colors, looks would go back to default since they changed the code and I have to revert back to "default" for a lot of it. It's going to take me some time to get all of the customized looks and functions of the site back to where it is now and I didn't want to do that while we had too many sports seasons and stuff in play either.

FYI :

This will not be the gigantic style change that happened last May when i updated from version 3.8.0 to 4.0.3. Initially all of the colors and things like that will be the software default until I put that code back in but the overall style and function will remain the same. This update is more about bug fixes and adding some nice new features

You Can Post During Kipper's Reconstruction

Any upgrade doesn't render the forum "useless". All of the Data (posts, threads, numbers, membership etc....) all remain and you can continue to post, discuss and interact like normal, you just might not have some of the bells and whistles initially since I'll have to re-code those things, fix and upgrade them.

There will be a down time where I shut the site down to make a backup and install the software upgrade but I will be doing that at Midnight Sunday to avoid heavy traffic usage. This should only last an hour or 2.

Usually I can update on a per version basis but due to how much work was involved in upgrading from the current 4.0.3 that we are using here to 4.0.4 I chose not to. i expect to update regularly per version update after I do this next big overhaul. Normally they push out a new update every 2 months.

Some of the Additions to the Forum will be :

• Brand new Text Editor which can be seen in the video below and even further by clicking on the link below that..

http://ckeditor.com/demo

• Connect Through Facebook. You'll be able to use your Facebook login and password to connect to the forum. I had that ability with this version but Facebook changed some stuff rendering the version here unusable. It's a nice feature that is used in various Blogs and Websites. You will still need a Registered membership here to use this ability which you will be able to enable through your Profile Settings

• Free Mobile Style. This was released for vBulletin software 4.1.2 and basically it is a Mobile Skin/Template that will detect a cellphone and convert the website into a scaled down, cell phone readable and postable version. Supposedly all of the features aren't available yet and will be for vBulletin 4.1.5 but here's a video of what it does/will do..

• Customize Your Profile. You'll be able to control the color scheme of your Profile and the text color and style

Those are just a few things you guys and girls would see on your end along with (and this is perhaps a low and rough estimate) 1,500 bug fixes. There were over 100 bug fixes from this version we are using now to 4.0.4. There were a lot a lot of major changes that are more on my end that are both helpful and needed.

Other additional changes you will see not related completely to the upgrade...

• Wibiya collapsable toolbar ( http://www.wibiya.com/ )
    • Completion of Sidebars in the Steelers and Pens Forums. along with additional features on the sidebar for the Pirates Forum
    • A slight visual upgrade for the Home Page of the Website.
    • Some small graphics changes like header bars just to freshen things up.

I will inform everyone with a Mass Pm and a Mass E-mail tomorrow (Saturday - June 10, 2011).
    Last edited by Kipper; Oct-08-2012 at 08:55 PM.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Some New Exciting Pittsburgh Sports Tavern Changes

This doesn't relate to tapatalk in any way,does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This doesn't relate to tapatalk in any way,does it?
    none whatsoever since Tapatalk is compatible with all of the versions of vBulletin. Actually while I'm putting the background images back on, getting each teams boards their colors and images and everything else, on the phone you don't see that crap, just the main functions. You're probably better off until I finish

Changing this to Tomorrow night (Monday at midnight, June 13, 2011)

Got ready to shut down the board to make a backup and the Pirates signed a catcher and the traffic and such forced me into waiting a day. At 1:15am it would take me until 3am to get the upgrade done

Tomorrow at midnight, Folks!

Im heading to bed or whatever you do at this time.

There's a lot of things I need to do still. A couple of alignment issues I know ofand a lot of Add Ons/Mods and custom code that I still have to do. I'll get it all going as soon as I can.

For now, the biggest thigns you should notice besides the new Editor which I'm still tinkering with is..

* No "Top" button by each post.
    * Profile stuff in posts isn't centered or have backgrounds.
    * No sports icons
    * Some image repeating issues in Personal Profiles.
    * Post Quick Reply Buttons etc... aren't aligned

Threads : 215

The fconnect at top dead center is annoying.

I just got used to the top button.
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The fconnect at top dead center is annoying.

I just got used to the top button.
    I can't do anything about it until some designs a better header style

Im still currently refining things and also waiting for some feedback on stuff I need answered so I can fix them.

3 of the more important things I'm waiting on so that I can fix them is..

1. The default size of the posting box/text area. It's a little short in height for the Quick Reply compared to how I had it before and I've spent probably a couple of hours sifting through code and using various developer codes to find what I need to fix this.

2. Facebook "Like" button should be next to the start of Thread titles and it's not.

3. Adding more buttons to the Quick Reply Box. There's actually a Mod/Add-On that does some of this but I havent had the time to check it out specifically to make sure it doesn't add 3 lines worth of butons. I only want to add certain ones.

I'm getting there. I have a list of things to fix that are little UI (user interface) things, stuff with Profiles etc... to tinker with still.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

..... *****...... Get on it......

Seriously though..... You'se be doin' a helluva job..... You da man!
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

I just looked at Internet Explorer 8 (If you use IE7, you need to update by now) and I saw some alignment issues with the main page that i'll get to it.

Other than that, I have a few things I'm still messing with, some Hover over of links stuff, some missing Facebook stuff, sizing of things, adding buttons to the editor (if I even can at this point).

I'm getting somewhere

Got the new look for the Sidebars completed in the 2 forums that they are up at (Pirates Tavern & Main Forum). I like em, they match better. Working on doing some buttons and stuff

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information