Thread: Terrelle Pryor signs on with agent Rosenhaus

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Terrelle Pryor signs on with agent Rosenhaus

Terrelle Pryor signs on with agent Rosenhaus
    By Associated Press
    Monday, June 13, 2011

COLUMBUS, Ohio Former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor has hired Drew Rosenhaus as his agent and has taken steps toward making himself available for an NFL supplemental draft.

Pryor's lawyer, Larry James, said today that Pryor was in Miami and had signed an agreement with Rosenhaus, a high-powered agent who represents some of the biggest names in sports. His client list includes standout wide receivers Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco along with former Ohio State running back and Pryor teammate Chris "Beanie" Wells, now with the Arizona Cardinals.

"I am happy that he has reached this point and he's in secure hands," James said of Pryor.

Pryor, James and at least two other people spent the past few days discussing the quarterback's options in terms of agents. Then, Pryor flew to Miami on Sunday and signed a contract with Rosenhaus this morning.

James also formally notified Ohio State that Pryor had signed with an agent, which officially made the three-year starter ineligible in the eyes of the university and the NCAA. That clears the way for the next step in Pryor's hopes of making it into the NFL.

"The university declares him ineligible," James said. "Therefore, that is a prerequisite to being eligible for the supplemental draft."

Pryor announced last week that he would not return to the team for his senior season. He had already been suspended by Ohio State and the NCAA for the first five games of the 2011 season for accepting improper benefits in the form of cash and discounted tattoos from a Columbus tattoo-parlor owner. The NCAA is investigating all aspects of Ohio State's athletic program, particularly the football team.

The probe led to the forced resignation of head coach Jim Tressel on May 30. Tressel has admitted he knew his players were taking improper benefits but covered it up for more than nine months before Ohio State officials discovered his knowledge.

Rosenhaus did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Pryor cannot be signed as a free agent by an NFL team. The NFL, currently embroiled in a work stoppage with the players, will likely schedule a supplemental draft for July or August. The draft follows a similar pattern to that of the regular draft in the spring. The NFL team selecting Pryor would surrender its pick in the same round in the regular draft in 2012.

The 6-foot-6, 233-pounder from Jeannette is Ohio State's all-time leading rusher among quarterbacks, with 2,164 yards. He also matched Bobby Hoying's school record for touchdown passes with 57.

While marveling at his size and speed, many draft experts have questioned his footwork, his throwing motion, his arm strength and his ability to read defenses. Some have even said Pryor should forget about playing quarterback and shift to wide receiver, tight end or some other position.

NFL draft analyst and former Dallas Cowboys general manager Gil Brandt has his doubts about Pryor but takes a wait-and-see approach. He said there's no reason for Pryor to change positions at least not right away.

"See if he can play the position first of all. But for him to play the position, I think it's going to take a lot of training," he said. "It's going to take a person really dedicated to playing football. The things that I hear, he maybe doesn't have that type of dedication."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_741897.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Terrelle Pryor signs on with agent Rosenhaus

I'm following this story loosely, but it strikes me that this guy is a marginal NFL QB prospect but has potential to play WR - at least that's what I've read.

Haven't we heard that story before?

As far as character issues go, I'm generally not going to knock a guy for trying to make a few bucks as a college player considering that college football rides the gravy train of the work these guys do making millions upon millions and gives them a paltry scholarship - in most cases, and what is that worth? Maybe $20k, $40k per year?

That's chump change for many NFL players. Where I draw a marginal line is how these players are profiting, sometimes it's shady but still, it's not like they're committing violent crimes or anything so I have to discount that aspect.

I don't see this guy as a viable NFL prospect for the Steelers (or any other team), but that's just my opinion. Too much of a project, I think teams are better off at drafting and further developing skill players in defined roles.
    Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm following this story loosely, but it strikes me that this guy is a marginal NFL QB prospect but has potential to play WR - at least that's what I've read.
    .... He's a punk IMO..... But yea, I've heard he's been rated as "marginal" as well......
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

it strikes me that this guy is a marginal NFL QB prospect but has potential to play WR - at least that's what I've read.
    For the Mean Machine? ...Maybe

I totally agree that he's too big of a project and I hope the Steelers steer clear!!

considering that college football rides the gravy train of the work these guys do making millions upon millions and gives them a paltry scholarship.
    But on the other hand some of these players are riding the gravy train of college football, sucking up free food, room and board, etc... taking chump classes with no intention of graduating, squeeking on by until they can go to the NFL and make their millions.

As far as payment to college players goes... No one is forcing anyone to go to college and the players know the rules when they sign up. Some guys use college football as a way to get a college degree and some use it as an internship to the NFL. Ask a college intern at a major pharmaceutical company what kind of bacon they're bringing home, despite the record profits being made by the company.

Ohio State is the "brand", not Terrelle Pryor (not Maurice Clarrett, not Chris Speilman, not Archie Griffin, not Howard Hop-a-long Cassady, etc.) Ohio State has spent decades and millions of dollars to build that brand name. Not only with their football team, but with all their athletics, all their academic programs, their University hospital, etc., etc. Ohio State puts 108,000 fans in the seats at the "Horse Shoe" not Terrelle Pryor. If Pryor had taken his talents to Ohio Wesleyan University, would 108,000 fans show up on game day?

Bottom line... If you want to be a 19 year old who's rolling in cash... don't play college sports. Go be a rapper!

If these kids really need money, the NCCA/University ought to provide them with low or no interest loans.

JMO

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    For the Mean Machine? ...Maybe

I totally agree that he's too big of a project and I hope the Steelers steer clear!!

But on the other hand some of these players are riding the gravy train of college football, sucking up free food, room and board, etc... taking chump classes with no intention of graduating, squeeking on by until they can go to the NFL and make their millions.

As far as payment to college players goes... No one is forcing anyone to go to college and the players know the rules when they sign up. Some guys use college football as a way to get a college degree and some use it as an internship to the NFL. Ask a college intern at a major pharmaceutical company what kind of bacon they're bringing home, despite the record profits being made by the company.

Ohio State is the "brand", not Terrelle Pryor (not Maurice Clarrett, not Chris Speilman, not Archie Griffin, not Howard Hop-a-long Cassady, etc.) Ohio State has spent decades and millions of dollars to build that brand name. Not only with their football team, but with all their athletics, all their academic programs, their University hospital, etc., etc. Ohio State puts 108,000 fans in the seats at the "Horse Shoe" not Terrelle Pryor. If Pryor had taken his talents to Ohio Wesleyan University, would 108,000 fans show up on game day?

Bottom line... If you want to be a 19 year old who's rolling in cash... don't play college sports. Go be a rapper!

If these kids really need money, the NCCA/University ought to provide them with low or no interest loans.

JMO
    Add up all those extra costs and it amounts to buttkiss when you consider how much colleges are raking in, that's my point.

Here's the catch though - if I'm an athlete and I eventually want to play in the NFL, how do I get there?

Play sandlot? CFL? The course for 99.9% of NFL players is through college. That's a great racket for colleges also, they have a monopoly on the NFL farm system and they get all that free labor where they can sell tickets, merchandise and TV rights from.

Take all that net revenue and divide it up among the players and I have a hunch that the tally is much, much more than the cost of providing an education for those players.

****ing double post gremlins...

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But how much of a payment is enough? IMO, There would still be cheaters....and where do you draw the line with other sports.

IMO, It's called "paying your dues!" .... which btw, the NFL knows nothing about, handing out multi-million dollar contracts to guys who haven't played a second in the NFL.

We live in the day and age of instant gratification and prima donnas.

But how much of a payment is enough? IMO, There would still be cheaters....and where do you draw the line with other sports.

IMO, It's called "paying your dues!" .... which btw, the NFL knows nothing about, handing out multi-million dollar contracts to guys who haven't played a second in the NFL.

I don't disagree with your sentiment, I'm just trying to define the economics of the matter.

You're right, ultimately the fan is who is paying the price. Fans fund colleges by supporting programs, fans fund the NFL coffers - owners, players, etc.

At the end of the day, these institutions (college football, players, NFL) are pecking at the carcass that is fan support.

Another ****ing double post, my connection is ****ty tonight. Everything's slow.

Yes, it is called "paying your dues", which this little punk did not do.... Yes, there will always be cheaters, which this little punk is..... Yes, the NFL doesn't care..... But those of us that actually watch the college game for what it is meant to be, we know...... You know.....

Pryor is a little freakin' punk ***......

Fans fund colleges by supporting programs, fans fund the NFL coffers - owners, players, etc.
    Ohio St will not suffer from this..... Their fandom and allegience is greater than Pryor.... Unfortunately (because I hate them)......

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information