Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas grills

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Gas grills

I have an old Ducane gas grill, bought it at Wal Mart probably 8 years ago. It's been a stud but it's getting up in the years.

It has a stainless flat grate (which is why I bought it), it's not obnoxiously large (I don't need a ****ing 2,000,000 BTU blast furnace), just big enough to cook a dozen burgers or 6-8 steaks. It only has one side tray and it's perfect.

I've replaced the burner twice and it's getting old, so much that I'm not sure I can replace it again with all the rust and corrosion in there. The rock grate long deteriorated away and I have a replacement in there that doesn't quite fit. I'm still using it, but I have to open the holes in that burner with an ice pick and light parts of it manually.

I'll probably use it all summer, I went shopping around for a new grill and that was a complete waste of time.

Forget Wal Mart, all they sell is junk with ceramic coated grates. I don't buy ceramic, it scratches off and rusts when you clean it with a wire brush, which is why I bought this Ducane. Home Depot and Lowes have limited selections. The ones with stainless grates are huge. One has a stainless grate that's the right size, but it's an odd grate. It has a bottom that collects grease or something, I'm not sure that will work. Cast iron grates are out also, cast iron will rust unless you take them in and wash them and store them indoors after every use. **** that.

I tried taking my Ducane grates to see if I could fit them into a cheapie, but no success. I could buy a fitted stainless grate for a grill but you're looking at adding another $70 bucks or so on top of the cost of the grill. I don't want to drop half a benji on this thing.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I moved back to charcoal after my last propane and will probably not ever go back tbh.

Default Re: Gas grills

I have a charcoal grill, I use it occasionally - but if we're coming back from soccer practice or something like that late in the evening and I want to grill some cheeseburgers, having a gas grill is pretty convenient rather than screw around with charcoal.

I grill a lot also, probably 3-4 times a week.

Plus it's a good reason to keep a couple of propane tanks available especially since I'm boiling wort on a turkey fryer like you are.

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My "soon to be" father-in-law (insert awkward question now, as Im not engaged...yet) has an infrared gas grill made by "TEC," that he has connected to his natural/house gas, rather than propane. The thing is absolutely amazing for steaks and burgers. This grill is un-freakin-believable... sharp stainless steel with an unheard of temp-control ability. The thickest of steaks (any cuts), are ready to roll med/rare after 5min on each side. The only problem is the price... I'm not throwing out any numbers, but just google "TEC" infrared grills That said, for slow cooking (ie chicken and ribs... he still opts for the Weber charcoal grill).
    Hidden Content Chuck Norris wears Steelers Pajamas!!!

Threads : 3263

.... I use both.... Depends on constraints and "convenientcy"......
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

It doesnt take me more than 15/20 minutes to get the charcoal hot. Enough time to drink a beer. I just don't like to clean those propane jobs. With the charcoal the grease goes out with the spent charcoal.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It doesnt take me more than 15/20 minutes to get the charcoal hot. Enough time to drink a beer. I just don't like to clean those propane jobs. With the charcoal the grease goes out with the spent charcoal.
    .... ****, I think there is more "cleaning" with charcoal..... Ashes and such...... I clean my grill religiously after each use, so it's never a problem for the next event......
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Exactly, NKY.

I love using charcoal, but it's work. Dumping the old ****, cleaning everything out, dumping new charcoal in, lighting, waiting, waiting then grilling.

I'm not knocking it, I charcoal grill once every couple weeks but considering the amount of grilling I do (even in the winter time), that's a lot of work.

I have a cheap on from home depot. Its a great design though. There is a square pan with a grate about a half inch above the pan. It keeps the air circulating underneath. Its a light and forget about it deal but since the pan comes right out... Before I grill I just pick it up and dump in in a bag. Thats all the cleaning that needs to be done. I dont clean the grill. The heat will kill everything. Also it keeps things from sticking. Seems like you have your mind made up there but I just dont see charcoal as an inconvenience. I use it for almost every meal right now. Dont want to fire up the oven.

Seems like you have your mind made up there but I just dont see charcoal as an inconvenience.
    .... Just one man's perspective, that's all.... I like both, but I am also very lazy......

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    Exactly, NKY.

I love using charcoal, but it's work. Dumping the old ****, cleaning everything out, dumping new charcoal in, lighting, waiting, waiting then grilling.

I'm not knocking it, I charcoal grill once every couple weeks but considering the amount of grilling I do (even in the winter time), that's a lot of work.
    It really depends on what your cooking IMO... Steaks, Burgers, and fish/seafood on a gas grill! Chicken, Ribs, and pork on charcoal!

In terms of cleaning, Gas is superior... just let it burn after cooking and brush off the crust...no coal ash to worry about!
    In terms of flavor though, NOTHING beats an old-fashioned charcoal grill... unless you're workin a smoker
    Hidden Content Chuck Norris wears Steelers Pajamas!!!

I like everything better on charcoal especially steak and burgs. My last propane deal went up in flames I don't think its as simple as yinz are making it. I though I was going to have to ring the FD. **** that.

I like everything better on charcoal especially steak and burgs. My last propane deal went up in flames I don't think its as simple as yinz are making it. I though I was going to have to ring the FD. **** that.

I don't think its as simple as yinz are making it.
    Why isn't it?.... As said, I like both.... I do my drunken cooking with gas so no clean-up, and do any cooking to impress with rocks.... Pretty simple to me, but I'm a dumbass, so I dunno..... I got 2 grills... One of each.... I pick my poison and do it up...... Allbeit, it's just for me nowadays......

I had grease all over mine and that's the nastiest thing to clean just a PITA. I am done with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information