Thread: Rest Overbay...

Threads : 277

Default Rest Overbay...

He's the one infielder who hasn't been "rested."

Put Jones at First and Paul in Right (as I have been pelading for days).

Then sit Overbay some more!!

(Different issue, but does anyoen agree with em that if Alvarez had come to camp 15 or 20 pounds lighter, he might not be injured now? Though he hasn't been hurt as often, I'd make the same comment about Tabata.)

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Rest Overbay...

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's the one infielder who hasn't been "rested."

Put Jones at First and Paul in Right (as I have been pelading for days).

Then sit Overbay some more!!

(Different issue, but does anyoen agree with em that if Alvarez had come to camp 15 or 20 pounds lighter, he might not be injured now? Though he hasn't been hurt as often, I'd make the same comment about Tabata.)
    Tabata outruns DP attempts, infield grounders and leads the team in SB. If his weight was any sort of an issue he wouldn't be able to do perform any of those tasks.

Pedro has always been a big boy, going through his college days. They said he looked bulkier coming into camp and then claimed he had added some muscle mass. I don't really know. Is the addition of whatever it was (fat or muscle) enough to slow his swing down to mess with his timing? Pedro's issues this year at the plate looked more timing related than anything. He was behind fastballs that he usually hits. If he's ahead of FB's then he's simply duessing wrong, being behind shows that he's slow to them.

I'd certainly would try to play Garrett Jones more except that there's really not much difference in hitting between someone at .250 and someone at .229. For Overbay based on his AB's, the difference is 5 less hits. For Garrett Jones at his number of AB's, 3 less hits and he's batting .230.

Then add in that Garrett Jones has a higher K rate than Lyle Overbay. Jones does have a much better HR rate but you'd also be sacrificing some of the backbone of this team right now - Infield Defense, since Jones is a drop off from Overbay.

The only problem I have with Xavier Paul is that as much as I like him, his speed and he's hitting well, the guy has no pop in his bat. He's a CF'er playing on a team fielding 2 CF'ers with one of them in RF having sub -10 Home Run power. But... right now, we need contact to be made and hits, so this isn't an issue. As for Overbay/Jones you're not going to get much or any difference
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 24

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Tabata outruns DP attempts, infield grounders and leads the team in SB. If his weight was any sort of an issue he wouldn't be able to do perform any of those tasks.

Pedro has always been a big boy, going through his college days. They said he looked bulkier coming into camp and then claimed he had added some muscle mass. I don't really know. Is the addition of whatever it was (fat or muscle) enough to slow his swing down to mess with his timing? Pedro's issues this year at the plate looked more timing related than anything. He was behind fastballs that he usually hits. If he's ahead of FB's then he's simply duessing wrong, being behind shows that he's slow to them.

I'd certainly would try to play Garrett Jones more except that there's really not much difference in hitting between someone at .250 and someone at .229. For Overbay based on his AB's, the difference is 5 less hits. For Garrett Jones at his number of AB's, 3 less hits and he's batting .230.

Then add in that Garrett Jones has a higher K rate than Lyle Overbay. Jones does have a much better HR rate but you'd also be sacrificing some of the backbone of this team right now - Infield Defense, since Jones is a drop off from Overbay.

The only problem I have with Xavier Paul is that as much as I like him, his speed and he's hitting well, the guy has no pop in his bat. He's a CF'er playing on a team fielding 2 CF'ers with one of them in RF having sub -10 Home Run power. But... right now, we need contact to be made and hits, so this isn't an issue. As for Overbay/Jones you're not going to get much or any difference
    Jones is in, Overbay is out today. As I said in another thread, Hurdle plays the hot hitters, and both Paul and Jones had good nights and they are in the lineup today. Agree mightily that Jones is a big dropoff insofar as defense is concerned

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post
    Jones is in, Overbay is out today. As I said in another thread, Hurdle plays the hot hitters, and both Paul and Jones had good nights and they are in the lineup today. Agree mightily that Jones is a big dropoff insofar as defense is concerned
    It's always good to see that Hurdle plays the hot hitters. You have to do that especially with as anemic our offense is. I just don't think long term you're going to see much of a production difference from Overbay to Jones. I had thought Overbay would perform a little bit better in the power department than he has
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 22

Weight never seemed to affect Prince Fielder hitting.

I think Pedro and "out of shape" are just people trying to make up their own excuse for whatever reason.

I have seen a lot of fat slobs play ball and still hit.

I think is more him ony being in the majors LESS than a year. And, our expecations too high.

Fans are quick to run people out of town when they don't produce right away. Can anyone say Jose baut.... Nevermind :P

Threads : 29

Hurdle is looking pretty smart about now for playing Jones.

Threads : 277

So, what you are saying Mulder is that I didn't mindf*** Hurdle and make him play Jones and Xavier, which helped produce the second most overtaken (or lost) lead in baseball, 3-0?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information