Thread: Mea Culpa on McDonald

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Mea Culpa on McDonald

Couple of weeks ago after McDonalds miserable performance against the Phils, I had some serious reservations about him and whether or not he should still be in the rotation.

It seems I may very well have been wrong or at least short sighted in pulling the plug on him so quickly.

He could very well continue to have streaks of inconsistency, but he should still be in the rotation.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Mea Culpa on McDonald

One of the commentators said of McDonald in the Phillies game "This isn't how he's been this year" when, in fact, it was precisely how he was against the Rockies.

Every time I see it's him opening the pitching, my expectations drop. Still, I'll give the chap some chances at redemption...
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 11

With McDonald, its all about throwing strikes! That was his problem with the Dodgers. In his losses look at his pitch count and walks. When he gets ahead, he can start mixing in his breaking ball and is very difficult to hit. When he starts getting behind, they sit on the fastball and score. He needs to work to get better command or develope confidence in his breaking ball when behind in the count ala Morton.
    The One and Only!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VENOM View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With McDonald, its all about throwing strikes! That was his problem with the Dodgers. In his losses look at his pitch count and walks. When he gets ahead, he can start mixing in his breaking ball and is very difficult to hit. When he starts getting behind, they sit on the fastball and score. He needs to work to get better command or develope confidence in his breaking ball when behind in the count ala Morton.
    That was a big part of my complaints with him. It still is but he's won his last two I believe and as Kip pointed out to me in that thread, this may be his MO for the year.

Threads : 11

The key to him is progress and I see it. Serage is doing a good job with him and the others on the staff. Its nice to finally have a pitching coach that wants to improve a pitcher's positives and not tear down a his mechanics and put their own stamp on them. I really think the past few pitching coaches have perminantly ruined a few guys.
    The One and Only!!!!!!

Threads : 43
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    Every time I see it's him opening the pitching, my expectations drop. Still, I'll give the chap some chances at redemption...
    I've been the same way, thinking he was the weakest link in our pitching staff, but I'm impressed after yesterday's performance.
    "It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by pretzel View Post
    That was a big part of my complaints with him. It still is but he's won his last two I believe and as Kip pointed out to me in that thread, this may be his MO for the year.
    Wins and Loses don't always reflect the pitcher which is why it's a useless stat (wins/Loses). Just take a look at Paul Maholm's record vs. his stats.

Venom is dead on that Mcdonald's issue is throwing strikes. He has the "stuff". There's some that believe he has some of tyhe best natural stuff on the staff but he lacks "command" of it and he ends up with very high BB/9 rates. Also with Mcdonald is that this year at least, his K rate has gone way down when his BB rate goes up. In the past when he'd struggle with his command his K rate would remain high.

April 5.5 K/9 5.9 BB/9 7.66 ERA
    May 9.1 K/9 2.6 BB/9 2.86 ERA
    June 5.2 K/9 7.1 BB/9 4.60 ERA
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Kip, I agree totally with what Venom said and mentioned in my OP that we may have to live with his inconsistencies. In that thread where I initially mentioned why I felt McDonald was one bad start away from losing his starting spot was for exactly the reasons Venom mentioned (or at least that's how I remember the posts) but was persuaded by your comment that he had a very good April, not so good May so let's see how June plays out.

I'm not the greatest fan of the K/BB ratio mainly because I'd rather see a pitcher go into the 7th or 8th inning with 2-3 K's over a 110 pitch span than him leaving in the 5th or 6th with 6 or 7K's. But that's just my preference.

So, would a question similar to one where McDonald could win more than he loses with him pitching 5 or 6 innings and a strike percentage in the 50 - 60% range?

Threads : 413

You guys are probably right about his command and getting behind in the count is a killer for him. Speaking of the Phillies game, He was lights out until he led off in the 4th (or 5th) and reached base and then spent a ton of time on the field running and standing around in the hot sun. Never got a chance to sit down and when he came in to pitch the next inning things went downhill fast. I remember saying to Benny at the time that this was not a good thing. Just wonder whether stamina is an issue for him.

Boy it's quiet here lately.
    Last edited by exNCite; Jun-19-2011 at 08:19 AM.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 45

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    You guys are probably right about his command and getting behind in the count is a killer for him. Speaking of the Phillies game, He was lights out until he led off in the 4th (or 5th) and reached base and then spent a ton of time on the field running and standing around in the hot sun. Never got a chance to sit down and when he came in to pitch the next inning things went downhill fast. I remember saying to Benny at the time that this was not a good thing. Just wonder whether stamina is an issue for him.

That's what losing 2 in a row will do for you. I'm sure the lemmings are out in droves.

Threads : 24

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post

Yeah, What's up with that?

Threads : 123

I think it has more to do with the weather, than anything. People are outside and on vacation right now

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information