Thread: W Va. Pitching ?

Threads : 31

Default W Va. Pitching ?

I was just looking at some of the minor league numbers in low A West Virginia. I noticed most of the pitchers down there have put up very nice control numbers. Only one or two pitchers on the staff have a walk rate of over 3 per 9 innings. Taillon is less than 1 per 9 and even ZVR has shown good control despite getting lit up pretty well. Are the pitchers down there throwing primarily fastballs to gain command before working on their secondary pitches? Alot of guys are in their first full year with many of our over-slot high school arms down there.
    Last edited by Kipper; Jun-20-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added the minors prefix

Threads : 413

Default Re: W Va. Pitching ?

I saw Colton Cain pitch against Lakewood a couple of weekends ago. He definitely was not throwing just fastballs. As many curves and sliders as fastballs. Can't speak about the others.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

heads up and reminder.. If you start a thread about the minor leagues, use the :Minors: prefix from the drop down options next to the thread title when you are creating a thread.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shaker100 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was just looking at some of the minor league numbers in low A West Virginia. I noticed most of the pitchers down there have put up very nice control numbers. Only one or two pitchers on the staff have a walk rate of over 3 per 9 innings. Taillon is less than 1 per 9 and even ZVR has shown good control despite getting lit up pretty well. Are the pitchers down there throwing primarily fastballs to gain command before working on their secondary pitches? Alot of guys are in their first full year with many of our over-slot high school arms down there.
    Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw Colton Cain pitch against Lakewood a couple of weekends ago. He definitely was not throwing just fastballs. As many curves and sliders as fastballs. Can't speak about the others.
    i'm surprise, usually at that level they are still heavily using their fastball, learning command and possibly working on a changeup/refining their change up. Not to say they aren't using breaking pitches but I always thought it was a lower percentage at the A level and then it gets upped at A+
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information