Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harrison sent down, d'Arnaud to be recalled

Threads : 24

Default Harrison sent down, d'Arnaud to be recalled

According to Jen Langosch. Why are they keeping Ciriaco on the ML roster?

Threads : 197

Default Re: Harrison sent down, d'Arnaud to be recalled

I guess they want Harrison to continue to get regular playing time and they just don't care about Ciriaco. That's the only way I can make sense of it really. I assume this means d'Arnaud is going to end up playing a bunch of 3B, which he really hasn't done since college. He has something like 350 minor league games and fewer than 10 were at third base.

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Supposedly, Alex Pressley will be called up Tuesday and Brad Lincoln will be called up to make a start July 2nd.

Actually Rob Biertempfel comes up with a perfectly reasonable explanation. Here's what he's hearing:

1. d'Arnaud comes up Friday
    2. Alex Presley comes up Tuesday for the Toronto series, Ciriaco goes down
    3. Brad Lincoln comes up next Saturday (July 2) for a start during the double header against the Nationals. Either Presley, d'Arnaud, or a reliever may go down depending on results. Presley seems most likely.
    4. Once Josh Harrison's 10 days on optional assignment are up (Biertemfepl says July 3, but it may be July 4) he will likely rejoin the team in the extra infielder role. He'll take the Lincoln spot assuming it's a position player who is sent down.

That makes perfect sense. With d'Arnaud, Cedeno and Wood on the roster, there is absolutely no need for Ciriaco anywhere near the ML roster. I'd like to see Harrison get some time playing some short. He has no power to speak of, but he does enough things well to where he'd be a nice guy to have on the roster.

Threads : 158

So does D'Arnoud or Presley stay up when Harrison comes back and Lincoln is sent down?

Threads : 29

Maybe Hurdle is still really, really ****ed at Cedano and they'll play d'Arnaud at SS and Wood at 3rd.

Just a thought.

Threads : 24

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually Rob Biertempfel comes up with a perfectly reasonable explanation. Here's what he's hearing:

3. Brad Lincoln comes up next Saturday (July 2) for a start during the double header against the Nationals. Either Presley, d'Arnaud, or a reliever may go down depending on results. Presley seems most likely.
    4. Once Josh Harrison's 10 days on optional assignment are up (Biertemfepl says July 3, but it may be July 4) he will likely rejoin the team in the extra infielder role. He'll take the Lincoln spot assuming it's a position player who is sent down.
    Okay, so I am really dense, I guess, because I still don't understand why Harrison goes down in the first place, instead of Ciriaco.

Threads : 1817

Looks like they are bringing up Presley solely for the DH against Toronto which would make some sense with how he's been playing in AAA I suppose.

Would seem to make sense to send Presley back down to AAA but I'm wondering if that STUPID mental screw up by Cedeno to bunt with bases loaded and 1 out is the reason for bringing up D'Arnaud? Cedeno isn't hitting and this is the 2nd time he's been benched this year as well. I can't really see any reason to bring up D'Arnaud or send down Harison unless it's related to Cedeno's play at SS. Actually not sure why Harrison is sent down at all instead of Ciriaco.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post
    Okay, so I am really dense, I guess, because I still don't understand why Harrison goes down in the first place, instead of Ciriaco.
    Im trying to finger this out myself. Either when it's mentioned by Biertempfel, Criaco is going to eventually get sent down and Harrison is going to get re-called.

Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post
    They wanted to bring up d'Arnaud now, and were going to use the other roster space for Presley in a few days, so both guys were going to end up going down. Once you're sent down you can't come back up for 10 days (unless there's an injury). Sending Harrison down first means he can come back after Lincoln goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Im trying to finger this out myself. Either when it's mentioned by Biertempfel, Criaco is going to eventually get sent down and Harrison is going to get re-called.
    They're sending Harrison down now so he can get his 10 days down in the minors, so he can be recalled when Lincoln is sent down after his start.

They wanted to bring up d'Arnaud now, and were going to use the other roster space for Presley in a few days, so both guys were going to end up going down. Once you're sent down you can't come back up for 10 days (unless there's an injury). Sending Harrison down first means he can come back after Lincoln goes down.
    but why not send Ciraco down instead of Harrison? IS it options related? I havent taken the time to look at eithers options

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Would seem to make sense to send Presley back down to AAA but I'm wondering if that STUPID mental screw up by Cedeno to bunt with bases loaded and 1 out is the reason for bringing up D'Arnaud?
    That's a possibility, but I blame the manager for that as much as anyone. Cedeno's been dropping weird bunts forever. When he'd do it last year and they asked Russell he said Cedeno has the green light to squeeze with runners on third and makes that call himself. Cedeno did it again this year on a play where Garrett Jones got thrown out at home, and Hurdle said the same thing. Hurdle actually said that time that Jones was in the wrong and it was a good decision by Cedeno and they'll continue to let him do it. When they give him the green light to do it whenever he wants despite many strange decisions you have to blame the manager for failing to take away that option.

That's a possibility, but I blame the manager for that as much as anyone. Cedeno's been dropping weird bunts forever. When he'd do it last year and they asked Russell he said Cedeno has the green light to squeeze with runners on third and makes that call himself. Cedeno did it again this year on a play where Garrett Jones got thrown out at home, and Hurdle said the same thing. Hurdle actually said that time that Jones was in the wrong and it was a good decision by Cedeno and they'll continue to let him do it. When they give him the green light to do it whenever he wants despite many strange decisions you have to blame the manager for failing to take away that option.
    They said that Cedeno like most players have the green light to do stuff like that, so I'm not sure how much you can blame the coaches when he suddenly decides to do something like that, even if it's repeated.. Maybe not give him the green light, but I'm of the assumption that most of the players have it. If you can't give a Vet MLB player at Cedeno's career point the green light to do stuff then he shouldn't be on the team and roster IMO. Either way, I see it sort of as a trust issue and right now, I wonder how much Cedeno is trusted by Hurdle without having to hold his hand and babying him (which isnt worth it for a SS that hopefully won't be with the team much longer)

I was just looking (updated the 40 man roster link at the top of the page when you click on Links) and saw Ciriaco had 1 option remaining and Harrison has 3, so from that standpoint I can understand why Harrison would get sent down instead of Ciriaco when it's some temporary roster movement/management thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information