Thread: NFL Lock Out Could End By Early July

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default NFL Lock Out Could End By Early July

NFL lockout deal appears closer as owners discuss tentative framework for settlement

Published: June 22

NFL owners met on Tuesday to review the framework for a possible deal with the players which negotiators hope could be reached by early July.

NFL owners emerged Tuesday after a day-long review of the broad concepts of a possible labor agreement with locked-out players ready to intensify talks with the goal of reaching an accord by early next month.

Despite reported owner concerns, opposition to the plan hammered out in closed-door deliberations over the past few weeks apparently was modest and confined to certain aspects of the complex deal.

The agreement would contain a salary-cap system that would give players slightly less than half the sportís burgeoning revenues, according to people familiar with the deliberations. The players have received slightly more than half the sportís revenues in the past.

But, according to one person familiar with the situation, players likely would accept slightly less than half in the future because overall revenue is expected to rise sharply and total compensation would increase rapidly, even if players accepted a smaller percentage of the gross revenue.

It also is likely to include free agency for players after four years and a requirement that each team spends at least 90 percent of the salary cap, up from the previous minimum of slightly more than 85 percent.

Negotiations between owners and locked out players are scheduled to resume Wednesday in the Boston area and the two sides likely will make a push to complete an agreement sometime around July 4, said people familiar with the talks, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the deliberations.

ďI think the ownership has a better understanding of the framework and I think we have a better understanding of the various issues and priorities within the membership,Ē NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said after the owners ended their meeting at a hotel near OíHare Airport.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...BgH_story.html

The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NFL Lock Out Could End By Early July

I've listened to quite a bit of commentary on Sirius Satellite Radio via their NFL channel about the subject... Even heard Commish Goodells' comments after the meetings in Chicago....

* Apparently, the players will get 48% of the revenue, which is down from the previous CBA...

* But the "floor" of the cap that needs to be spent each season is somewhere around 91-93%, so the players will effectively have more money funneled into payroll...

* Unrestricted free agents are at 4-yrs of service instead of 6 years...

* There will be a rookie salary cap, but it hasn't been determined yet...

* Owners can reduce the amount of cap they have to pay by using stadium improvement "incentives"...

* Player contract incentives, if not met and paid, will increase the team cap in the following year, effectively putting the money back to the players instead of the owners keeping it...

* Starting in 2012, there will be a 16-game Thursday night schedule up to grabs to any network (instead of the current 8-game sched on NFLN) with the profits going to the players...

* An immediate fund started for the retired players...

* The 18-game regular season will remain on the table as a separate "negotiated" item and will not effect the new CBA, but can be implemented during the agreement if both sides agree...

.... There were other issues and numbers, but I don't recall them at this present moment.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    * Starting in 2012, there will be a 16-game Thursday night schedule up to grabs to any network (instead of the current 8-game sched on NFLN)
    Thank goodness. NFLN game's are almost unbearable to watch.

Threads : 691

I really feel this will get done.Both sides have too much to lose.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    I really feel this will get done.Both sides have too much to lose.
    Yes, both sides do have too much to lose....

... As I told Kip on the phone yesterday, I really do believe that the deal will get done by mid-July (officially done), which will leave a week or two before camp starts for all the free agency stuff, and the season will start on time........ I hope.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who misses watchin' Steeler games already besides me? Screw the strike and PLAY BALL!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
    Who misses watchin' Steeler games already besides me? Screw the strike and PLAY BALL!
    Yea, I miss it... But I always miss it at this time of year.... Aug/Sept would be different....

... But that's just it, it's not a strike, it's a lockout.... Big difference IMO... Either way, as said, I think we'll see no interruption of the regular season.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
    When all this crap gets sorted, there's probably going to be a crazed rush of activity. In the mean time, I was going to watch a few old games to tide me over. Problem there is, I only have 9 on disc...
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 277

I have to admit that the Pirates' play--and my MLB package (thanks, Kip)--are getting me through these "rough times," not to mention the Jagr talk (the Pens should sign him!).

Lastly, I hope the NFL shows some sense and accommodates larger Practice Squads or a roster exemption for an additional three or four players for the first few games of the season.
    Last edited by DCBILL; Jun-26-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Yes, both sides do have too much to lose....... As I told Kip on the phone yesterday, I really do believe that the deal will get done by mid-July (officially done), which will leave a week or two before camp starts for all the free agency stuff, and the season will start on time........ I hope.
    I agree 100% with this. With info leaking about how close they are getting to an deal. If they don't settle in time there will be a fan revolt.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

NFL Lockout: Expect free agency to be hectic
    Thursday, June 30, 2011
    By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith took a break Wednesday from labor negotiations to speak to rookies at a symposium in Florida, raising expectations that the lockout could be settled soon.

One of the first orders of business for teams once the lockout ends will be to sign free agents. The free agency signing period usually is in March, but it was put on hold when the owners locked the players out.

One agent who spoke Wednesday to the Post-Gazette believes an agreement in principle between the owners and players will be reached by Friday or early next week. Then the lawyers for both sides would finalize the deal over a two-week period.

"They don't want to go past July 4th because they don't want to have the judges come back from their July 4th vacations to rule on this," said Joel Turner, who represents Steelers safety Ryan Clark, among other players. "They want it to be done."

Turner isn't the only agent who is optimistic about a settlement. Eric Metz, an agent with 27 years experience, said he has been getting more hopeful by the week as the talks between the two sides have continued.

"A month ago, I was very concerned that we were at risk of losing the entire season or half the season," Metz said. "Now I'm much more optimistic after the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals made their ruling. I still think there is a ways to go, but I am more optimistic that we can get this done in July."

Judge Susan Richard Nelson ordered an end to the lockout in April, but the NFL appealed that decision. The Eighth Circuit granted the owners appeal, but both sides were urged to come to an agreement without the court's involvement.

Turner said he was told by a person familiar with the negotiations that the goal is for the deal to be official by July 15. He also said it is his understanding that the free agency period would begin July 18, with a 48-hour signing period for undrafted free agents to follow. Then veteran free agents would go on the market July 20.

"It's going to be wild," Turner said. "That's going to leave only 5-7 days before most teams report to camp."

Metz said he heard a similar time line to the one Turner laid out, but he does not expect there to be a separate period for undrafted free agents. His expectation is for everything to happen at once.

The new collective bargaining agreement is expected to roll back unrestricted free agency from six years to four. If that's the case, the Steelers would have 14 unrestricted free agents, including starting cornerback Ike Taylor and Willie Colon, the starter at right tackle before an injury forced him to miss last season.

The other unrestricted free agents would be running back Mewelde Moore, tight end Matt Spaeth, offensive linemen Trai Essex and Jonathan Scott, defensive linemen Chris Hoke and Nick Eason, linebacker Keyaron Fox, cornerback Anthony Madison, punter Daniel Sepulveda, place-kicker Shaun Suisham and long snapper Greg Warren.

Reserve quarterback Dennis Dixon and offensive lineman Tony Hills would be restricted free agents.

Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who would have been a free agent, was designated as the team's franchise player.

Metz represents some well-known players who would be unrestricted free agents, including receiver Steve Breaston, linebackers Barrett Ruud and Stewart Bradley and offensive lineman Lyle Sendlein.

"We're very fortunate to have a lot of great players who will be in high demand," Metz said. "You're a little more optimistic in those situations. The major concern is the volume of players in the market, just the number of players who are going to be out there."

Some players believe undrafted rookie free agents might have a difficult time making teams because they have not been able to learn systems during the lockout, but Metz disagrees. He said now more than ever owners want to hire cheap labor.

"Who's going to want to pay $1 million dollars to an eight-year guy at the end of his career when they can get a guy for $330,000?" Metz said. "You can have three impact special teamers making what the veteran at the end of his career is making."

As for the expected free agent frenzy: "After 27 years in this business, normal is the definition of crazy anymore," Metz said. "It's certainly going to be uncharted. But Plan B in the 1980s and early 1990s was crazy. In 1993, when free agency started, it was crazy. You learn how to deal with it."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11181/1157285-66.stm

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Something tells me the Steelers are prepared to sign their own free agents and have contracts ready to offer them. Ike said as long as it's a fair offer, he'll sign a contract. He said that 2 weeks ago on Seibel, Starkey and Miller. I can't wait for football season and Steelers games, but with the way the Buccos are playing the wait isn't so bad.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information