Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prospects At the Midway Point

Threads : 197

Default Prospects At the Midway Point

Now that we've made it about halfway through the minor league season, I thought I'd take a look back at Baseball America's prospect rankings and see how the players are doing. I've mentioned in the past that I wasn't a huge fan of this particular list, particularly beyond the top 10, but it's still as good a starting point as any.

1. Jameson Tailllon, RHP, Age 19, A - 42.2 IP 3.16 ERA 38 K 4 BB - He's been about as good as anyone expected. Through his first 42.2 professional innings, Taillon has an 8.0 K/9 and a 0.8 BB/9. This has been done mainly with fastballs, as he's still in the command stage of the development program (and seems to be excelling). There are many who believe he'd be completely dominating the league if he were allowed to mix in more curveballs. Stock remains steady.
    2. Tony Sanchez, C, Age 23, AA - .253/.358/.320 5 2B 1 3B 2 HR - The bat just hasn't been there this season. He's still drawing walks, and I believe the approach will play in the big leagues, but he just hasn't been able to drive the ball at all. Sanchez only has 8 extra base hits all year, good for an ISO of .067. Looks like he still has a long way to go with the bat. Reports are still very positive on his defense even if the available numbers don't back that up. Stock down.
    3. Stetson Allie, RHP, Age 20, A- - 2.1 IP 11.57 ERA 3 K 3 BB - The numbers really aren't even worth looking at at this point. Spent the first couple months in extended working on command before debuting in the NYPL this week. This was somewhat expected. Stock steady for now.
    4. Starling Marte, OF, Age 22, AA - .336/.367/.472 17 2B 4 3B 4 HR - Keeps on hitting, but the 52/10 K/BB remains a concern. He's actually cut down the strikeouts a bit this year, but he doesn't walk at all. As it's going right now he's going to have to hit .300 to be useful, but that actually seems like a possibility. Occasional flashes of power that may come through in the future. Stock remains steady, maybe slightly up.
    5. Luis Heredia, RHP, Age 16, ROOK 2.2 IP 6.75 ERA 0 K 3 BB - Again, numbers here are kind of meaningless. He's a 16 year old pitching in the US. Reports out of camp were extremely good, but his first start in the GCL was a bit shaky. Nothing to get worked up about. Stock remains steady.
    6. Bryan Morris, RHP, Age 24, AA 39.2 IP 4.54 ERA 28 K 17 BB - Injured again, poor results when healthy, and now he's been moved to the bullpen. Not really any positives to find here. Stock down.
    7. Rudy Owens, LHP, Age 23, AAA 74.1 IP 5.33 ERA 39 K 20 BB - Control is still solid, but strikeouts are way down and he's been hit hard. Stock down.
    8. Jeff Locke, LHP, Age 23, AA 77.2 IP 4.29 ERA 75 K 32 BB - K rate has held steady, but walks are more than doubled to this point. Results have declined his second try at AA. Stock down.
    9. Zachary Von Rosenberg, RHP, Age 20, A 63 IP 6.29 ERA 56 K 13 BB - Good strikeout and walk numbers to this point, but he's been doomed by the home run ball. He's allowed 12 in 13 starts to this point. Despite the high ERA and huge HR total this is actually a tougher call for me to make. I'll say stock down, but not as much as you might think.
    10. Chase D'Arnaud, INF, Age 24, AAA - .280/.347/.418 11 2B 5 3B 4 HR - Coming off a down year Chase has bounced back pretty well. Reviews of his defense remain mixed, with most thinking he profiles better at 2B. Speed might be better than a lot of people thought, and he's managed 5 triples and has gone 17 for 20 on stolen base attempts. Promoted to the majors Friday. Stock up slightly.
    11. Andrew Lambo, OF, Age 22, AAA .184/.257/.292 11 2B 3 HR - After failing to dominate in AA his first two tries, the Pirates pushed Lambo to AAA anyway, and he was badly overmatched. Starting to look like he's just not the player many thought he was a few years back. He has been sent back to AA in the last few days. Stock down.
    12. Diego Moreno, RHP, Age 24, A+/AA 27.1 IP 4.94 ERA 32 K 11 BB - Still has fewer than 20 AA innings in his career, and he's not getting any younger. Can't seem to stay healthy, and results haven't been good this year outside of the strikeout numbers. Stock down.
    13. Colton Cain, LHP, Age 20, A 74 IP 3.04 ERA 58 K 18 BB - Very strong results this year. Control has been better than expected, and WHIP is under 1 for the season so far. Stock up.
    14. Gorkys Hernandez, OF, Age 23, AAA .290/.345/.390 13 2B 4 3B 0 HR - He's had some ups and downs offensively, but has been on recently. This is about as well as he's hit in his career to this point. Defense is good enough that he doesn't need a ton of bat to be useful. If he can keep up this level of performance it would be seen as fairly solid. 14-18 stealing bases so far, but he's been picked off several times. Stock steady, leaning up.
    15. Justin Wilson, LHP, Age 23, AAA 77.2 IP 3.82 ERA 59 K 38 BB - Still walking too many hitters, and has been victimized by the HR a bit as well. Strikeouts are down. He's probably been the best of the big 4 starters at Altoona from 2010, but that's not saying a lot. I'll say stock steady for now.
    16. Victor Black, RHP, Age 23, A 11 IP 0.00 ERA 7 K 4 BB - Not really sure why he was ranked here to begin with. Finally got healthy a couple weeks back. Not enough time actually on the mound to draw any conclusions.
    17. Nate Baker, LHP, Age 23, A+ 69.1 IP 4.15 ERA 51 K 26 BB - Really unimpressive to this point. Stock down slightly.
    18. Zack Dodson, LHP, Age 20, A 34.2 IP 3.12 ERA 30 K 10 BB - Missed some time, but results have been strong in his 7 starts. Stock up.
    19. Ramon Aguero, RHP, Age 26, AA (Rangers) 22 IP 8.18 ERA 17 K 21 BB - Not sure why they had a 26 year old AA reliever at 19 to begin with, but he's been DFAed by the Pirates, claimed by the Rangers, and DFAed by the Rangers. Good fastball velocity, but not much else to offer. Has been awful this year. Out of the system.
    20. Alex Presley, OF, Age 25, AAA .333/.386/.500 14 2B 5 3B 8 HR - Keeps on hitting after coming out of nowhere last year. Also 18-21 on steals, which is what the Pirates said they wanted him to work on coming in. Many still just see him as a 4th OF, but he really should get a shot on the major league roster at some point. Not sure what more they can be looking for. Stock up.
    21. Quincy Latimore, OF, Age 22, AA .214/.270/.351 - Latimore got overrated a bit coming in just because he had a little power. K/BB rate was a disaster last year and still is this year. Not seeing the same mistakes from AA pitchers as he did at A+ and has fallen off a cliff. Stock down.
    22. Jordy Mercer, INF, Age 24, AA .271/.329/.498 17 2B 1 3B 13 HR - Had a disastrous month of April (.154 with a .233 OBP), but bounced back big in May and June. Only hit 3 HR in a full season at AA last year. I'm not really sure why they didn't move him to AAA when d'Arnaud came up. He should probably get a shot there at some point, as he has legit defensive skills. Stock up.
    23. Mel Rojas Jr, OF, Age 21, A .262/.296/.308 7 2B 1 3B 1 HR - Seen as very raw coming out of junior college, and that's been clear in his time in A- and A. I'll say stock down for now, but he was known to be a project.
    24 Josh Rodriguez, INF, Age 26, AAA .231/.329/.354 1 2B 2 HR - Only 21 games so far. Couldn't cut it in the majors for the Pirates, sent back to Cleveland, then traded back to the Pirates for a PTBNL a few days back. Played mostly LF in Columbus thanks to Jason Donald, Jason Kipnis, and Lonnie Chisenhall. Will get some time back in the IF with Indy, but I don't see much here. Stock down.
    25. Robbie Grossman, OF, Age 21, A+ .275/.408/.384 14 2B 1 3B 4 HR - Repeating A+ this year, and results have improved quite a bit. He's always walked, but struggled with Ks. Ks are way down this year and he actually has a 58/58 ratio. Power hasn't shown up as expected yet, though. Stock up.
    26. Danny Moskos, LHP, Age 25, AAA/MLB AAA: 11.2 IP 3.09 ERA 8 K 1 BB MLB: 13.1 IP 2.70 ERA 4 K 5 BB - Hasn't looked great in his major league time despite the good ERA. Looks like decent lefty in the bullpen might be the ceiling here. Stock steady I guess.
    27. Pedro Ciriaco, SS, Age 25, AAA/MLB AAA: .190/.193/.255 3 2B 2 HR Was awful in limited AAA time, and has been rotting on the bench for a month in the majors. Stock down, though it may not be entirely his fault.
    28. Aaron Pribanic, RHP, Age 24, AA 70.2 IP 3.57 ERA 27 K 8 BB - Good walk rate, no strikeouts at all. Not really sure what to make of him at this point. Stock steady-ish.
    29. Matt Hague, 1B, Age 25, AAA .312/.362/.453 14 2B 2 3B 7 HR - Hague has been very consistent since coming to the organization in the 2008 draft. He's a 1B with no speed, limited power, and solid defense. It's hard to say what that skillset actually translates to. Stock steady.
    30. Josh Harrison, INF, Age 23, AAA/MLB AAA (149 PA): .328/.372/.460 8 2B 2 3B 2 HR MLB (62 PA): .283/.295/.317 2 2B - Hit very well in AAA, and showed the ability to put the bat on the ball in major league action. Looks like he'll probably be a utility type who isn't particularly strong defensively. Stock up.
    31. Phillip Irwin, RHP, Age 24, A+/AA 59.1 IP 1.82 ERA 42 K 13 BB - Good results at A+, and in his AA debut this week. Not a ton of Ks, but he's found ways to get hitters out. Stock up a bit.

Others:
    Kyle McPherson, RHP, 23, A+/AA 88.1 IP 2.95 ERA 72 K 9 BB - Dominated at A+ and has looked strong in 3 AA starts. HRs becoming a problem early at AA, with 5 in just 3 starts.
    Jarek Cunningham, 2B, Age 21, A+ .264/.316/.533 - Came out on fire, but has cooled down considerably since. Power is legit, but pitch selection and contact rate are huge concerns. 66/12 K/BB after a 132/30 last year. May not be a 2B long term either.
    Brock Holt, INF, Age 23, AA .285/.342/.384 - Also came out hitting extremely well, but dropped off recently. Numbers are still decent, but doesn't seem to have a ton of upside. No one seems to think he can actually play SS.
    Matt Curry, 1B, Age 22, A/AA A (195 PA): .361/.477/.671 15 2B 3 3B 9 HR AA (89 PA): .259/.326/.432 6 2B 1 3B 2 HR - Dominated the SAL as he really just didn't belong there. Promotion to AA was aggressive, but it's gone OK. 23 K in 89 AA AB, but it's too early to become concerned there.
    Tony Watson, LHP, Age 26, AAA/MLB AAA: 29.1 IP 2.45 ERA 29 K 11 BB MLB: 8.2 IP 1.04 ERA 8 K 5 BB - Seems to have passed Moskos on the LH reliever depth chart. Walks have been a bit higher than you'd like this year, but he's missed bats and gotten lefties out when he needs to.
    Eric Fryer, C/OF, Age 25, AA/AAA AA (134 PA): .345/.427/.549 4 2B 3 3B 5 HR AAA(79 PA): .262/.377/.446 4 2B 1 3B 2 HR - Not a ton of experience behind the plate, but Fryer has really come on with the bat. Defensive reviews at catcher were actually solid. Saw a decent amount of time in the OF this year, after spending a lot of time there with the Brewers and Yankees orgs. (EDIT: Fryer was called up to the majors after I posted this!)

Just going off of a few months of performance isn't a great way to judge things, but overall you can't help but be disappointed with the way things have gone thus far. In the top 12 you have 7 disappointments and 2 guys who haven't really played to this point. There just aren't many standout performers to be found in the system.
    Last edited by jnn123; Jun-25-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Threads : 122

Default Re: Prospects At the Midway Point

Thanks for the breakdown. Not a real stellar year for a lot of guys.

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thx JNN........good breakdown

Threads : 215

Fryer get's to show his stuff, soon enough. Presley also. This is exciting! Everyone on anybody's list is not going to make it to, or at, the majors.

It looks like Harrison and d'Arnaud have actually passed Spring Training standout Ciriaco.

At this point, I would say that Moskos and Watson have arrived and given NH's ability to find bullpen help , could be trade bait to a contending team, unless of course, the Pirates are indeed contending in a few weeks.

Hague's stats look like he's ready for next year, or this, if there are injuries.

No Lincoln?
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Threads : 0

Yeah, been a pretty tough year for our farm system, but I think you could consider it a transitional year. A lot of these guys are total project players that still had a lot of learning to do. Like you can't fairly judge a Stetson Allie on what he does this year, he's still learning how to be a real pitcher. Then guys like Gorkys/Lambo who are still very raw talents. We may not see the real breakout results of a lot of these guys until they hit the age of 23-24 or so. Our farm system could look really great a year from now if some of the key guys take a leap.

Colt Cain/ZVR both seem to be doing alright, which is good. ZVR had a few rough starts, but the stuff seems to be there.

Tony Sanchez is the big disappointment to me. Definitely wanted to see more from his bat at this point. He's not going to get a promotion until he starts hitting, and we could use a stable catcher in the MLB next year. Neither Doumit nor Snyder can be depended on.

Threads : 277

Thanks for the very helpful and informative update.

Not much to get excited about, but.......(the old "DC" would have finished that statement, but I won't, now, because the PBC has provided me with excitement and interest I haven't felt in years)!

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, Eric Fryer should have a hat on at all times! Maybe he can pick up a Rogaine endorsement if he does well!!

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No Lincoln?
    Threw too many MLB innings to make prospect lists this year. He's been very good recently, though, after a couple bad starts at the beginning of the season. You'll see him (or maybe not depending on which game he pitches - the afternoon game is radio only here) on Saturday. He may only be up for one start at first, but he'll probably be back at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by The Curtain View Post
    Colt Cain/ZVR both seem to be doing alright, which is good. ZVR had a few rough starts, but the stuff seems to be there.
    ZVR is having a weird year, and Keith Law was at his start last night. Said 89-92 with no life on his fastball, which wasn't good to hear, but not surprising looking at the HR totals. He gave up two more yesterday.

He also said he got a very bad report on Cain, which doesn't match the numbers, but it's possible he's just getting away with things. I still haven't been able to see either of them start. I did see Dodson, though, and I thought he looked very good.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Threw too many MLB innings to make prospect lists this year. He's been very good recently, though, after a couple bad starts at the beginning of the season. You'll see him (or maybe not depending on which game he pitches - the afternoon game is radio only here) on Saturday. He may only be up for one start at first, but he'll probably be back at some point.

ZVR is having a weird year, and Keith Law was at his start last night. Said 89-92 with no life on his fastball, which wasn't good to hear, but not surprising looking at the HR totals. He gave up two more yesterday.

He also said he got a very bad report on Cain, which doesn't match the numbers, but it's possible he's just getting away with things. I still haven't been able to see either of them start. I did see Dodson, though, and I thought he looked very good.
    They've drafted an awful lot of guys for the pitching spots. I'm anxious to see these guys progress. I'm not too concerned about results yet, although ZVR has me a bit concerned, but he's still very young. I choose to take the wait and see how they pan out over time approach.

Threads : 215

i will see one of the WV pitchers on Friday, ZVR, Cain, Pounders..............??
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    i will see one of the WV pitchers on Friday, ZVR, Cain, Pounders..............??
    I think that spot is lined up for Trent Stevenson right now, but I'm not totally sure. Rainouts could always throw that off too.

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, Eric Fryer should have a hat on at all times! Maybe he can pick up a Rogaine endorsement if he does well!!
    I thought the same thing. To be that bald at that young an age.....

===========
    We drafted lots of pitchers....some highly touted ones will fail.......some 'under touted' ones will succeed.

That's why we draft LOTS of pitchers.

============

Anyone know why Rudy Owens went on the DL. Per Tim Williams at Pirates Prospects that is where he is right now. Maybe that's why he has been sucking this year?

At my request Jordy Mercer has been moved to AAA.

At my request Jordy Mercer has been moved to AAA.
    I was hoping they'd make that move.

Threads : 1817

Fantastic write-up, JNN

It looks like, outside of Taillon and possibly Lincoln, pitching in the system has been really bad. Colton Cain has done well but like you said, there was a concerning note about him (whatever it may be).

You don't want to look at just the numbers in the lower minors for results since coaches have pitchers doing so many things developmentally that can affect stats but at the same time, there's a lot of prospects and a lot of minor league systems that can produce results from their better prospects along with good development which is what's not happening right now.. So I'm certainly concerned but the high amount of poor results and production from the pitching in the system, but not quite ready to lose any sleep over it

I think tony Sanchez is going to fine. It could be something with his swing or not that's causing the lack of a drive. To me whats most important is that he's making the same amount of contact. K's and BB's are steady this year, not much of a change. I wanna say that something like the BB's are up. If he were K'ing more or walking less with hat production i'd be worried but he's not. A little bit of bad luck here and there could be in play and possibly just a little alteration to a swing and he should be ok.

Our #6.7.8.9 pitchers won't be on the Top 10 list next year.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information