Thread: Ben Roethlisberger could need foot surgery

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Ben Roethlisberger could need foot surgery

Ben Roethlisberger could need foot surgery
    USA Today
    6-25-2011

[IMGR]http://i56.tinypic.com/2v321br.jpg[/IMGR]PITTSBURGH (AP) Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger says he may eventually need surgery on a broken right foot that bothered him during the team's run to the Super Bowl last year.

Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review he could have opted for surgery following the season but decided to let it heal after talking to doctors.

Roethlisberger aggravated the injury during a game against Buffalo last November, though he did not miss a snap. He played the remainder of the regular season and the playoffs with a special cleat fitted with two metal plates. The Steelers lost to Green Bay 31-25 in the Super Bowl.

The 29-year-old quarterback threw for 3,200 yards and 17 touchdowns last year. He said the ongoing NFL lockout has helped him recover from the injury, but he hasn't ruled out surgery at some point.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...-surgery_n.htm
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1

Default Re: Ben Roethlisberger could need foot surgery

but he hasn't ruled out surgery at some point.
    I'm sure he's got orders to wait till after the wedding.

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Boy it would've been nice if he scheduled it for sometime in late Feb! Now is not the time to be talking about ANOTHER #7 distraction... lockout or none! If it's an issue, it needs to be addressed sooner than later... "we" need as many "good" years out of Ben as we can get! A Stillers' QB with his winning ability only comes around twice in a century (or so)?
    Hidden Content Chuck Norris wears Steelers Pajamas!!!

Threads : 10

Typical Ben, freaking DRAMA QUEEN!

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Boy it would've been nice if he scheduled it for sometime in late Feb! Now is not the time to be talking about ANOTHER #7 distraction... lockout or none! If it's an issue, it needs to be addressed sooner than later... "we" need as many "good" years out of Ben as we can get! A Stillers' QB with his winning ability only comes around twice in a century (or so)?
    The first time I saw this I was wondering why he didn't have it done immediately after his SuperFail performance.Stupid!!!!

It could be that he didn't have it done due to the timimg of the start of the lockout... Once it started, players did not have access to the facilities for rehab... If the rehab took longer than that before the lockout, he would have been on his own, and that might have also had contract implications if he rehabbed on his own without the team overseeing it.... I dunno... Just a possibility.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Makes no sense to me either. He does state that the doctors told him to not get surgery so if anything, his doctors (probably Steelers med staff - FAIL). If Ben has to miss any of the regular Season because he needs surgery on this foot, the first finger I point is towards the Doctors that told him he didn't have to have surgery.

The 29-year-old quarterback
    **** Ben is getting old
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

.... I still think the lockout played a big part... I've heard numerous stories on Sirius Satellie Radio (NFL Blitz and such) that players were holding-off on various procedures because they couldn't get into the facilities to re-hab, and that their insurance wouldn't cover it... Also, if they re-habbed outside of the teams' pervue, it could void their contract if they weren't able to play because the team wasn't directly involved.... Again, I dunno....

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That explanation kinda does make sense and if that's the case, he might want to wear that special shoe from the get go.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Agent: Big Ben's surgery comments blown out of proportion
    NFL.com
    June 28, 2011

That's the message from Ben Roethlisberger's agent, Ryan Tollner, after a report last week quoted the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback as saying there's a chance he will need surgery on his previously broken right foot at some point.

"There's nothing new there," Tollner told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Monday night. "The doctors elected not to do surgery and to let it heal. If it ever got worse, they might have to do something.

"Ben is kind of surprised that it's getting the attention. He hopes and expects never to have surgery on it. The foot was feeling better after the season, with the extra time this offseason, it's feeling great."

Roethlisberger, who told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review in a story published Saturday that his foot has healed, suffered through much of 2010 with the injury. He aggravated it during a game against the Buffalo Bills in November, saying "there were times during practice and games where I didn't feel like I'd be able to walk."

The seven-year veteran and two-time Super Bowl winner wore a cleat fitted with a pair of metal plates both in games and practices, right up through the team's loss to the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV. He didn't miss a snap last season because of the injury, throwing for 3,200 yards and 17 touchdowns.

"I could have had surgery (after last season), but according to the doctors, it would have been a really nasty process because of where the break was. It was better off trying not to do anything," Roethlisberger told the Tribune-Review. "It's going to be something where we're just going to have to, in essence, play it by ear. If it continues to be as painful as it was at the end of last year, then I'm going to probably have to have the surgery."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-of-proportion

Threads : 10

"Big Ben's surgery comments blown out of proportion"

Hasn't this ALWAYS been the case with a Ben Roethlisberger injury? I've simply learned to accept Ben as the adult version of that one neigborhood kid that we all grew up with. You know the one, the kid that had to have a Band-Aid placed over every scrape. The kid that wrapped an Ace Bandage around every sprained ligament. The kid who when asked "Is it broken?" Responed with this gem, "No, it's just fractured."

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Five-O View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Big Ben's surgery comments blown out of proportion"

Hasn't this ALWAYS been the case with a Ben Roethlisberger injury? I've simply learned to accept Ben as the adult version of that one neigborhood kid that we all grew up with. You know the one, the kid that had to have a Band-Aid placed over every scrape. The kid that wrapped an Ace Bandage around every sprained ligament. The kid who when asked "Is it broken?" Responed with this gem, "No, it's just fractured."
    I don't agree with that at all. The guy gets hurt a lot because of the way he plays and he does play through it. He is tough. If anything its the fans and media that get all dramatic about it.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As long as Ben is ready for the season starter, I really don't care. Drama bores me anymore.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information