Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pens sign Sullivan

Threads : 35
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pens sign Sullivan

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
    PIT signs Steve Sullivan to a one-year, $1.5M deal.
    formerly known as Eagle7187

Threads : 277

Default Re: Pens sign Sullivan

Who??

Excuse me, why do we need this old guy and why did we pay him so much?

cuz thats what we do

Threads : 11
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Shero loves former Preds, all of a sudden Holmgren has massive boners for former Pens.
    "Grind These *****es down".

Pickle Stabbing Big Bodies with big long sticks power moves and net front presence.

Penguins Agree to Terms with Forward Steve Sullivan
    Friday, 07.01.2011 / 3:25 PM / News
    Pittsburgh Penguins

View Photo Gallery The Pittsburgh Penguins have agreed to terms with forward Steve Sullivan on a one-year contract, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

The deal is worth $1.5 million.

Sullivan, 36, has spent the past five seasons with the Nashville Predators. The veteran forward appeared in 44 games this past season for Nashville, collecting 10 goals, 12 assists and 22 points. He added three points (2G-1A) in nine postseason contests.

Sullivan, a Timmins, ON native, has appeared in 890 career contests with the New Jersey Devils, Toronto Maple Leafs, Chicago Blackhawks and Predators, amassing 266 goals, 416 assists and 682 points. Sullivan has added 17 points (7G-10A) in 44 postseason games.

A 5-foot-9, 161-pound forward, Sullivan missed the entire 2007-08 season due to a severe back injury, before returning triumphantly on Jan. 10, 2009. Sullivan finished that season by recording 32 points (11G-21A) in 41 games and winning the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy for his perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

Originally drafted by New Jersey in the ninth round (233rd overall) of the 1994 NHL Entry Draft, Sullivan played two seasons of junior hockey with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), tallying 87 goals, 89 assists and 176 points in 125 regular-season games. Sullivan contributed 36 points (12G-24A) in 30 postseason games

Threads : 1817

What a horrible ****ing signing. This... THIS is supposed to be the backup plan? an old cripple? the guy had a pretty nasty back injury in 2007 that caused him to miss all of the 2007-08 season. since then he's been garbage offensively. Shero probably signed a guy he knew PRIOR to the back surgery but didn't realize and won't realize that what he really got was an old cripple that has played 1 full season the past 3 years with limited production.

PRetty big waste of money and a signing.

For the $3.5 million we spent on this bum and TK who we don't need, we could've had Michael Ryder and Ray Shero would've made his 2nd career GM legit Top 6 winger signing in 6 years (sykora the other)

I should've known to not get my hopes hope for a winger in free agency, it's like hoping for a power hitter for the Pirates in FA. You never get any or any that are any good
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Excuse me, why do we need this old guy and why did we pay him so much?
    Jagr is older and we were going after him!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Jagr is older and we were going after him!!!
    Jagr never had near career ending back surgery that sucked the life out of any offensive game he had. Signing Sullivan was pretty useless.

Kipper said it all; Sullivan won't give us what a Jagr would have on the PP nor allow him to retire in Pittsburgh, where he should have, with class--not as a money sucking anus, an ending Mario likely still will permit when JJ's career ends.

All of this speculation is on the come--because JJ could break his leg--but Jagr commands more ice and therefore more space than Sullivan. More space makes Crosby/Malkin better.

I coudl go on, but I really wanted Jagr.

Threads : 126

He's a small guy too. Obviously he hasn't been able to overcome his lack of size since he's spent a lot of the time hurt. Giving 1.5 million to a guy this fragile doesn't make much sense to me.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kipper said it all; Sullivan won't give us what a Jagr would have on the PP nor allow him to retire in Pittsburgh, where he should have, with class--not as a money sucking anus, an ending Mario likely still will permit when JJ's career ends.

All of this speculation is on the come--because JJ could break his leg--but Jagr commands more ice and therefore more space than Sullivan. More space makes Crosby/Malkin better.

This really can't come as a shock to you people.Guy has been a ****in ****** for years......only difference is,he had been doing it in a different uni.I'm still not sold on the guy anyway.Let his 40 yr old *** rot in Philly and suck up their cap space.

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo

unfortunately it just seems like another "top 6" (dont really know about that) forward that i dont get the feeling will put up any sort of numbers .. TK, i like the guy, but we need some numbers other than sid n geno .. maybe neal will shine, i liked the look of him .... and i guess i hope sullivan proves me wrong! this is def TK's chance to prove what he is worth

Make no mistakes, Jagr would've beenn useless on our PP too. I never understood why anyon e felt that Jagr would be the savior for our PP. Jagr plays the SAME half wall that Malkin and Crosby play. The problem with our PP is..

1. The personnel doesn't work. Our best players on the PP both have their strengths at the same position.

2. The biggest problem is that We lack a big body for in front of the net. We've managed to have a Top 5 PP WITH Sid and Geno playing the half boards/below the crease but only when we had Ryan Malone standing in front of the net screening.

So no, I don't believe for a half of a second that Jagr woulda made our PP any beter, he probably makes it worse because then our brain trust in PP design would've overly complicated the PP scheme to get 3 players time on the half boards

Quote Originally Posted by frentoperfin View Post
    unfortunately it just seems like another "top 6" (dont really know about that) forward that i dont get the feeling will put up any sort of numbers .. TK, i like the guy, but we need some numbers other than sid n geno .. maybe neal will shine, i liked the look of him .... and i guess i hope sullivan proves me wrong! this is def TK's chance to prove what he is worth
    TK probably has more potential to produce on the 2nd like than Sullivan and that's a stretch since I don't have a big belief in TK being a Top 6 producer, not at the same clip he did on the 3rd line BUT, he did do a decent job with 2nd line time (wasnt much) after Sid and Geno were down.

Steve Sullivan though dioesn't solve any issues and the same issues we had coming into Free Agency still exist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information