Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I don't blame Max Talbot & neither should you

Threads : 77
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Why I don't blame Max Talbot & neither should you

After one day of thinking I came to this conclusion. Max is a fourth line, third line NHL player. He saw the best, maybe once in a lifetime term and money available to provide financial stability for him and his family. He took it. His numbers most likely won't rise and this was his best chance to get paid. Us fans can criticize and think what we like, but fact is he has to consider his future. That's why I don't blame Max Talbot. But I don't love him either.

You're in Philly now Max, I can't love you or support you. Thanks for everything. I understand. And I'll boo. But I'll understand.

Also, **** Jagr.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Why I don't blame Max Talbot & neither should you

But 5 years in that ****hole! ...Yikes!!

Obviously Max knows in the back of his mind, that he's never gonna get much better or he wouldn't have signed for 5 years. That being the case, I'm glad the Pens let him walk.

F.U. Max! ...and your first goal in Game 7 should have been icing!

ah... just kidding Max! But Brad Stuart won game 7 for the Pens. ...Just ask a Red Wings fan!!!

Threads : 61

Quote Originally Posted by Xterratu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After one day of thinking I came to this conclusion. Max is a fourth line, third line NHL player. He saw the best, maybe once in a lifetime term and money available to provide financial stability for him and his family. He took it. His numbers most likely won't rise and this was his best chance to get paid. Us fans can criticize and think what we like, but fact is he has to consider his future. That's why I don't blame Max Talbot. But I don't love him either.

You're in Philly now Max, I can't love you or support you. Thanks for everything. I understand. And I'll boo. But I'll understand.

Also, **** Jagr.
    I don't blame Talbot for taking the money. I doubt anybody does. If fact, I don't think anyone here cared to get him back. He was offered a big check, and he took it. I would do the same thing.

But do not feed me that bull**** line about "supporting his family," and "thinking about his future."
    1. If you can't support a family on 6 figures, you're a real *******. I hate when athletes use that line like Kovalev once did. It is an insult to people who have families to raise on $50,000 a year (who have to spend an entire paycheck to go see these athletes play.) Or how about soldiers that have families. They don't make anywhere near what athletes do, and they ****ing risk there lives! If they can do it, an athlete should have NO problem raising a family on $800,000 a year. Like I said, I got no problem with athletes trying to make a bigger buck, but that sympathy card just ****es me off. What? The family car has to be BMW instead of a Bentley? Sushi instead of caviar? Boo ****ing Hooo!

2. If athletes REALLY thought of their futures, 75% of them wouldn't end up broke.
    Maybe they should fire their agents and hire financial advisors instead. They might not make as much now, but their futures would get more consideration. (Agents don't give any more of a **** about their clients than team owners.)
    Last edited by El Sid; Jul-03-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

we traded Max's rights away and we didn't want him anymore (rightfully). At that point, I don't care where you go and don't blame you for it. Max woulda been dumb to not go where the money is. That said, he's a Flyer now so i can't not hate him or root for him. Maybe had he gone to a team not so hated, but Philly... you won't get a cheer from me, I just ask you don't hit Steve Sullivan too hard or he'll fall apart
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    we traded Max's rights away and we didn't want him anymore (rightfully). At that point, I don't care where you go and don't blame you for it. Max woulda been dumb to not go where the money is. That said, he's a Flyer now so i can't not hate him or root for him. Maybe had he gone to a team not so hated, but Philly... you won't get a cheer from me, I just ask you don't hit Steve Sullivan too hard or he'll fall apart
    Guess we could say the same about Mike Richards.......oh wait,he's gone.hahaha

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't blame Max. Anyway the players look at it differently than fans do. He will probably fit in well there. I am a Max fan though. Any other team would have been better for me. I didn't want him back really but I almost would rather have overpaid him than the other bum we overpaid. At the end of the day who cares I think we have a good team. Probably odds on favorites. The Flyers are going to miss the playoffs imo. It will all be worth it in the end.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by El Sid View Post
    I don't blame Talbot for taking the money. I doubt anybody does. If fact, I don't think anyone here cared to get him back. He was offered a big check, and he took it. I would do the same thing.

But do not feed me that bull**** line about "supporting his family," and "thinking about his future."
    1. If you can't support a family on 6 figures, you're a real *******. I hate when athletes use that line like Kovalev once did. It is an insult to people who have families to raise on $50,000 a year (who have to spend an entire paycheck to go see these athletes play.) Or how about soldiers that have families. They don't make anywhere near what athletes do, and they ****ing risk there lives! If they can do it, an athlete should have NO problem raising a family on $800,000 a year. Like I said, I got no problem with athletes trying to make a bigger buck, but that sympathy card just ****es me off. What? The family car has to be BMW instead of a Bentley? Sushi instead of caviar? Boo ****ing Hooo!

2. If athletes REALLY thought of their futures, 75% of them wouldn't end up broke.
    Maybe they should fire their agents and hire financial advisors instead. They might not make as much now, but their futures would get more consideration. (Agents don't give any more of a **** about their clients than team owners.)
    He's a fourth/3d line player. What does he do after hockey? I get what you're saying but things are a little more complicated than - he earns big money now. Remember that I'm not talking about a top six player, so he's bound to have many battle scars and injuries that will stay with him for the rest of his life. And comparing soldiers to athletes is just plain wrong. But ok, soldiers have pension plans, ordinary people work 'til they are 60 (men in Croatia). He can't work until he's 60. I'm oversimplifying things but yeah, there is a reason why Talbot can't be compared to Jagr in that regard.

Think about the term. You're a 4th line player. Do you sign a one, two year deal or five? Of course it's five because it's your last chance to make money, if you get injured long term on a one year deal? What then? Very few teams will look to sign you as a 4th line guy... Lots to consider. This offers stability bottom line players don't often get.
    Last edited by Xterratu; Jul-03-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't hate Talbot.. but, I do find some bizarre irony in the "shhhhhhhhhhhhhsshhhhh" incident that sparked the Pens to beat the Flyers in Game 6 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Guess we could say the same about Mike Richards.......oh wait,he's gone.hahaha
    Mike Richards is still a ******bag regardless of what jersey he wears

He's a fourth/3d line player. What does he do after hockey? I get what you're saying but things are a little more complicated than - he earns big money now. Remember that I'm not talking about a top six player, so he's bound to have many battle scars and injuries that will stay with him for the rest of his life. And comparing soldiers to athletes is just plain wrong. But ok, soldiers have pension plans, ordinary people work 'til they are 60 (men in Croatia). He can't work until he's 60. I'm oversimplifying things but yeah, there is a reason why Talbot can't be compared to Jagr in that regard.

Think about the term. You're a 4th line player. Do you sign a one, two year deal or five? Of course it's five because it's your last chance to make money, if you get injured long term on a one year deal? What then? Very few teams will look to sign you as a 4th line guy... Lots to consider. This offers stability bottom line players don't often get.
    I'm with you in the regard that financially you do what you can do NOW for your family as a sports player cause like you said, you won't be playing this sport and making this salary until your 60-67. When you take the salary someone like Max makes and spread it out over all of the years after he's done playing and all of the other expenses, while it might be decent it's not as much as what some would think. now guys like Geno and Sid are set for life easy if they plan properly.

You also have to figure in freak career ending injuries and stuff with players... I can understand the whole money aspect. Sure, players go on and do things career wise after they're done playing. some stay in the sport as coaches or in Management, some like Paul Coffey own car dealerships ... so there is income post playing career as well.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    When you take the salary someone like Max makes and spread it out over all of the years after he's done playing and all of the other expenses, while it might be decent it's not as much as what some would think. now guys like Geno and Sid are set for life easy if they plan properly.
    Exactly what I was talking about.
    -
    And yeah, but it's more likely you'll have a prosperous post playing experience ifyour name is Paul Coffey rather than Max Talbot.
    Last edited by Xterratu; Jul-05-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Exactly what I was talking about.
    -
    And yeah, but it's more likely you'll have a prosperous post playing experience ifyour name is Paul Coffey rather than Max Talbot.
    Very true, but my point about Coffey was that he's an example of a [player regardless of his stature then went on to have a normal life after hockey by running car dealerships. i would expect a guy like Talbot to be the same way like many others.

I ceertainly don't blame 3rd and 4th liners for going where the money is, it's the big money guys making multi-millions per season toying around for an extra mill per year or $x00,000K

Threads : 11
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Talbot has been horrible/injured ever since the shoulder surgery, so long you ****ing clown shoe. Joe Vitale will now hopefully be on the roster full time next year.
    "Grind These *****es down".

Pickle Stabbing Big Bodies with big long sticks power moves and net front presence.

Threads : 4
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jagr, people can blame him for anything and it'd probably be right, especially at this point. He was always a self serving ******bag from the start and the stories were there to prove that.

For Talbot though, I don't blame him like I don't blame Gonchar and Ruutu. At their age and their role, they aren't going to get that kind of money anywhere else. Ruutu wanted 3yrs and the Pens couldn't give it to him, so he got that security in Ottawa (later traded to Anaheim and now a UFA), Talbot wasn't going to get those years and that price with the Pens so he got it with the Flyers and stayed pretty local to be near his volunteer work and being a humanitarian without having to re-establish that elsewhere. As for Sarge, he wanted the money he was making and term, he got that with Ottawa.

Lastly, Ryan Malone...the big pay day he was seeking was more than him just wanting that pay day, he had a baby on the way and if you are a parent or understand that, you know he wants to lay down roots somewhere. Most players are like that, like Fitzgerald...he's an amazing assistant and was when the Pens won the cup but he didn't want to travel anymore, so he took a job that let him stay local and close to home but with the Penguins still. Stuff like that people forget about when its signings in the off season. People lean towards betrayal rather than rationale at times.

For those that don't blame these guys, kudos...I don't either.

Jagr on the other hand, I hope Brooks Orpik breaks his spirit and love for the game with an endless barrage of highlight reel hits (legal mind you) that leave the self-righteous one wanting to go back to the KHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid_Vicious View Post
    Lastly, Ryan Malone...the big pay day he was seeking was more than him just wanting that pay day, he had a baby on the way and if you are a parent or understand that, you know he wants to lay down roots somewhere. Most players are like that, like Fitzgerald...he's an amazing assistant and was when the Pens won the cup but he didn't want to travel anymore, so he took a job that let him stay local and close to home but with the Penguins still. Stuff like that people forget about when its signings in the off season. People lean towards betrayal rather than rationale at times.
    Malone we could've resigned and possibly for a little less than what he got with Tampa Bay but Ray Shero was busy getting bent over and abused by Marian Hossa and his agent. It cost us Malone. We traded his rights to Tampa Bay along with Gary Roberts a couple days before Hossa signed with Detroit. Shero believed he could sign Hossa and after getting hosed by Hossa we also got hosed by losing out on Malone.

i'm with you in that Jagr is a dick. Same as Marian Hossa. The plus is that Shero learned his lesson after getting hosed by Hossa and didn't allow Jagr to do it and cut off negotiations with Jagr on his own terms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information