Thread: Beltran and Pena?

Threads : 138

Default Beltran and Pena?

Tim Williams suggests the Pirates should pursue both of them if July goes as well as June did for the Bucs.

"...Overall the Pirates could realistically add Pena and Beltran, while taking on $7.59 M in salary for the final two months of the season, and saving their top prospects. It might hurt to part with a guy like Zack Von Rosenberg, Colton Cain, or even Justin Wilson to get Beltran for two months, but if the Pirates are in position to compete at the time, it’s a move they definitely should consider. My preference would be Pena, who would cost much less, prospect-wise, and who would be a huge boost to the middle of the lineup."
    http://www.piratesprospects.com/2011...rlos-pena.html
    Last edited by tocchet92; Jul-03-2011 at 10:05 PM.

Default Re: Beltran and Pena?

Dejan is a little over the top in his advocacy of acquiring a hitter:

" Don’t mean to beat this drum to death, but I can’t, for the life of me, understand how competitive men can oversee these Pirates and not lift a finger to address the offense.

When you’re a couple games out of first place in July in a weak division, and you’re trotting out lineups in which five of the nine players were in the minors just a month ago … that’s not even trying.....

....These Pirates have done some terrific things this year, and that’s to the credit of everyone, including the front office. But sitting by idly right now threatens to derail all of that. Look at the run differential. Look at other metrics. This isn’t sustainable. Offense is needed."
    http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovac...ection-sunday/

Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors (via Tim williams)

"If any team can tack on rental salary it’s got to be the Pirates. I imagine it would appeal to Huntington to make two huge additions like that and not affect the rebuilding plan. I have to admit getting both would really energize the fanbase even if they ultimately fell short."
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...at-3.html#more

Threads : 197

I didn't like the Pena deal this offseason, and he looked like a complete disaster with only one extra base hit in April, but he actually looks like a pretty attractive option at this point. I really don't think it would take a lot to acquire him and he'd be a nice upgrade.

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Both of these guys are type B free agents too, so you could stand to get a first Rd pick back if they refused arbitration.

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JimY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Both of these guys are type B free agents too, so you could stand to get a first Rd pick back if they refused arbitration.
    Actually a type B is supplemental pick. Beltran has a clause in his contract where he can't be offered arbitration, and there's no way I'm offering Pena arbitration.

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...be-type-b.html

As this article states, you might be able to reach a hand shake deal to get them to decline their arbitration. It doesn't hurt their trade value. No one thought Dotel would decline his either, but he did. Beltran may even waive that part of his contract because he is not a type A guy, which was likely the concern that led him to get that put into his contract.

Threads : 61
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's a great season so far, and I'm all for going for the division, but let's not lose sight of who we are. We're still rebuilding. I think it would be foolish to trade prospects away for rent-a-players. As great as it's been, adding a big bat or two to this lineup does not thrust us into World Series contention, IMO. (If I thought it did, I'd say go for it.) I think it's ridiculous for Dejan to accuse the Pirates of 'not even trying.'

I'm having fun with this season, and I'd love to see the Pirates win the division, but let's not take our eyes off the goal for the sake of one fun season. We're not quite there just yet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information