Thread: Hurdle or Searage

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Hurdle or Searage

Clint is getting lots of love. But..............

In 2010, we averaged 3.6 runs a game. In 2011, we've averaged 3.9 runs a game. Not much of an appreciative difference.

In 2011 we gave up 5.3 runs a game. Now, we're giving up 3.8 a game.

What has improved the most? The pitching......... W/o Searage's work, we'd be well under .500, just like last year.

If the pitching had been that good last year, improving 1.5 runs a game, even JR would've looked good. And THAT would've been quite the trick.

I think Searage should be getting more love than Hurdle.

Threads : 215

Default Re: Hurdle or Searage

So far, I like bofe um!
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Threads : 5

I think it's been a great combination of both of them. Searage has convinced them to throw strikes and they won't get hurt and I think Hurdle has been able to give them a strong mental game that they've never had. They are putting together runs with walks, stolen bases, bunts, aggressive baserunning, etc and that is carrying over to the pitching staff. But what Searage has done is remarkable. I'd almost give him 1/2 a vote for Manager of the Year because he's performing miracles with this staff. And, it doesn't matter who it is. No one is having an awful year, injuries aside. Imagine if Meek and Beimel were healthy?

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

i have to give it to hurdle, i think it is all about the mindset he has instilled in these guys. Its pretty much the same lineup and rotation as last year along with guys with almost zero major league experience sprinkled in. Even with Searage there, these guys wouldnt have been able to do what they have been doing under JR.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bonds#1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it's been a great combination of both of them. Searage has convinced them to throw strikes and they won't get hurt and I think Hurdle has been able to give them a strong mental game that they've never had. They are putting together runs with walks, stolen bases, bunts, aggressive baserunning, etc and that is carrying over to the pitching staff. But what Searage has done is remarkable. I'd almost give him 1/2 a vote for Manager of the Year because he's performing miracles with this staff. And, it doesn't matter who it is. No one is having an awful year, injuries aside. Imagine if Meek and Beimel were healthy?
    I say both of them too. Searage let's each pitcher be themselves and is smart enough to know each one is different and communicates well with each pitcher and has their respect.Hurdle has brought small ball, speed and aggressiveness to this team, but more importantly he has thrown the managerial book away. He has instilled a belief in the guys that is turning into an expectation of winning. He has done a great job of juggling the lineup to overcome the injuries and lack of consistent offense. Easily the manager of the year to this point.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information