Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hines Wards Agent Denies That Hines Was Impaired By Alcohol

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Hines Wards Agent Denies That Hines Was Impaired By Alcohol

Hines Ward’s agent denies receiver was impaired
    The National Football Post 5 hours, 20 minutes ago

Hines Ward’s(notes) agent denies that the Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver was impaired when he was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving early this morning.

On July 9th Hines Ward was stopped by Dekalb Co. police for suspicion of misdemeanor driving under the influence,” agent Andrew Ree said in a statement to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “He cooperated fully with the police and truthfully answered all of their questions. We are currently in the process of ascertaining all the facts. From our preliminary investigation we can tell you that we are confident that the facts will show that Hines was NOT impaired by alcohol while driving. However, Hines is deeply saddened by this incident and apologizes to his fans and the Steelers organization for this distraction.”

Ree’s statement says Ward cooperated fully but it’s not known at this point if that means he submitted to a breathalyzer test to determine his blood-alcohol content. The Super Bowl XL MVP and reigning champion on “Dancing With the Stars” was caught by a DUI task force in suburban Atlanta. He was booked into the DeKalb County jail at 3:41 a.m. The sheriff’s office didn’t provide any further details.
    The Steelers said that they are aware of the incident but have no comment.

Eventually, we’ll get more details and find out just how far Ward went to cooperate with authorities. He has been released on bond.

Follow me on Twitter: @BradBiggs
    Brad Biggs covers the Bears for the Chicago Tribune
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Default Re: Hines Wards Agent Denies That Hines Was Impaired By Alcohol

Hines Ward wasn't impaired, manager says in wake of DUI arrest
    Saturday, July 09, 2011

By Amy McConnell Schaarsmith, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

DeKalb County
    Arrested this morning in Georgia on drunk driving charges.

Pittsburgh Steelers star wide receiver Hines Ward has been arrested in Georgia on a drunk driving charge, but his manager said in a statement that he wasn't impaired.
    The DeKalb County sheriff's office says the former Super Bowl MVP and "Dancing With the Stars" champ was arrested early Saturday by an officer with the DeKalb County Police Department's DUI task force. He was booked into the DeKalb County jail in suburban Atlanta at 3:41 a.m. and charged with driving under the influence. He was released on $1,300 bond, according to DeKalb officials, although according to the DeKalb County Online Judicial System it was $1,000 bond.

The sheriff's office said it had turned over paperwork to the courts and couldn't release any further information about the player's arrest.

Steelers spokesman Burt Lauten said the Steelers and the Rooney family were aware of Mr. Ward's arrest but would not comment further. Mr. Ward's agent, Andrew Ree, released this statement:

"On July 9th Hines Ward was stopped by Dekalb Co. police for suspicion of misdemeanor driving under the influence. He cooperated fully with the police and truthfully answered all of their questions. We are currently in the process of ascertaining all the facts. From our preliminary investigation we can tell you that we are confident that the facts will show that Hines was NOT impaired by alcohol while driving. However, Hines is deeply saddened by this incident and apologizes to his fans and the Steelers organization for this distraction."

The 35-year-old Mr. Ward played football at the University of Georgia.
    Mr. Ward has not commented on the arrest on his Facebook or Twitter accounts, except to include his agent's statement. Previously he had been posting about the risks of texting while driving and his efforts to stop.

He wrote: "How many of you guys and gals text while driving? I am bad at doing that. It's very unsafe." Friday after others tweeted responses he wrote, "Thanks for the posts. I'm glad to see I'm not alone with my addiction. Today driving home from workouts, my phone was off and I singing songs all the way home. Haha and it felt good to not hear that phone make any noise. Really going to work on it."

Fans have been posting their opinions on social networking sites.

One person wrote: "DUI....(........why does everyone think that they are "okay" enough to drive...please pray and get past this....WOW"

Another said, "You were the last one that I would expect this from."

A third wrote, " Hines seriously a DUI...you are ruining your image man, kids look up to you and my husband is ****ed. You could have killed yourself or someone else, you are not as invincible as you think!"

In May, Mr. Ward was handcuffed and briefly detained by Los Angeles police after a mix-up over a stolen car.

Mr. Ward, who was in Los Angeles for "Dancing With The Stars," was in a car driven by a female companion after leaving a North Hollywood restaurant when police pulled them over at 1:30 a.m. Pacific time on May 5.

His unidentified companion had reported the car missing earlier in the night, but had since recovered it and forgotten to alert police, Los Angeles Police public information officer Norma Eisenman said.

Police cuffed Mr. Ward -- standard procedure in stolen car stops, Officer Eisenman said -- but he and his companion were allowed to go on their way once the mix-up was clarified.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
    The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11190...#ixzz1RflcrelX

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

... Still too many facts not known.

Nothing good happens at 3am in public, but what are the details?... We don't know the specifics yet.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ... Still too many facts not known.

Nothing good happens at 3am in public, but what are the details?... We don't know the specifics yet.
    maybe its too late for me to think clear but I swear Hines is making it sound like he was texting and driving, not drinking??

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    maybe its too late for me to think clear but I swear Hines is making it sound like he was texting and driving, not drinking??
    Maybe so.... Maybe he needs to get away from the "Los Angeles lifestyle" from his time at DWTS.....

..... And stay away from Lindsay Lohan as well.....

Seriously though... No details have been released, so nobody knows the particulars of this event... There's no need to over react or jump to conclusions just yet.... Maybe I'm too soft, but I just don't know enough yet.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

... As I posted before....

... First off, no other details were released about the incident.... Was he .085 or .385?.... You could toss-back a drink at a wedding reception, jump into your car, and blow positive because it was recently ingested....

We all like Hines, he's one of the true faces of the Steelers, an embassador to Korea, and a Super Bowl MVP.... Does he get a free pass?... No, it was an irresponsible act... But we don't know all the details. He is not a "repeat offender" (meaning this his his FIRST incident)... I would like to think that he is already remorseful regardless of the details, but who knows... All I know is that all Steelers players need to AVOID the state of Georgia because nothing good happens there... LoL!... But it again bears repeating that nothing good ever happens in the early morning hours when out in public...

It also bears noting that the NFL offers a program for every team and every player for a ride home. They all have been given cards with a number nation-wide where they can call and get a ride home in the evening, but according to Sirius NFL Radio, this program was suspended with the lockout. Is this an excuse?... No... But again, NONE of us know the details of the event because they have not been released.

... Also...

He will probably not face too much of a reprocussion due to the fact that there is no current deal between the players and the owners (again, according to the folks on the radio)... If the CBA was current and in effect, he would be relegated to testing up to 10 times a month, talks with a pshrink, and mandated into a alcohol program.....

.... He is lucky he didn't hurt himself, or someone else... Remember that WR down in Miami that plowed a guy and served some time?

No excuse, but also no judgement from me because I don't know all the details...

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

DeKalb County law officers have these "Check points" more for raising revenue, if you will, than for catching drunk drivers. Being arrested for suspicion of drunk driving there, means he probably wasn't given a Breathalyzer, but was put through a battery of roadside tests to determine the cops opinion of Hines soberness. I can't believe is their checkpoints have changed much in 13 years. His bond amounts to extortion or rather a donation to the dekalb County Police F.O.P.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 188

Steelers receiver Hines Ward arrested for DUI in DeKalb County By Mike Morris

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

5:57 p.m. Saturday, July 9, 2011

Pittsburgh Steelers and former UGA receiver Hines Ward was arrested for allegedly driving under the influence of alcohol early Saturday on Buford Highway in DeKalb County.

According to DeKalb police, Ward was stopped about 2:30 a.m. on Buford Highway near Briarwood Road after an officer noticed his Aston Martin failing to maintain lane and hitting a curb.

Ward failed a field sobriety test, and refused to take a breathalyzer test. He told officers he been at a downtown club, and had had two drinks.

According to police, a passenger in Ward’s car had not been drinking, and he was allowed to drive the car instead of it being impounded.

Ward, who police said was cooperative during the traffic stop, was taken to the DeKalb County Jail.

DeKalb County Jail records indicate that Ward, 35, was booked into the jail at 3:41 a.m, and later released on $1,000 bond.

Jail records show Pittsburgh as Ward's current hometown, but he also has a home in Sandy Springs.

Reached there Saturday afternoon, Ward told the AJC that he was "with my family right now, so I can't talk right now. I'll put out a statement later today."

Ward's agent and manager, Atlanta attorney Andrew Ree, released the following statement Saturday afternoon:

"On July 9th Hines Ward was stopped by Dekalb Co. police for suspicion of misdemeanor driving under the influence. He cooperated fully with the police and truthfully answered all of their questions. We are currently in the process of ascertaining all the facts. From our preliminary investigation we can tell you that we are confident that the facts will show that Hines was NOT impaired by alcohol while driving. However, Hines is deeply saddened by this incident and apologizes to his fans and the Steelers organization for this distraction."

The arrest wasn't Ward's first on serious traffic charges in DeKalb. According to online court records, Ward was charged with speeding and reckless driving in April, 2006. Records show that he paid a $1,350 fine after pleading guilty to speeding, and that the reckless driving charge was dropped.

On Friday, Ward posted on his Facebook page that he is "bad" about texting while driving, and asked his fans to help him overcome that habit.

"How many of you guys and gals text while driving?" Ward asked on Facebook. "I am bad at doing that. It's very unsafe. Help remind me from time to time to stop texting, tweeting, or facebook while driving. Let's help each other!"

While at the University of Georgia from 1994-97, Ward had 149 receptions for 1,965 yards -- second in team history.

He was drafted by the Steelers in the third round of the 1998 NFL draft.

In 2006, Ward was named the MVP of Super Bowl XL after catching five passes for 123 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' 21-10 win.

In May, Ward won season 12 of the amateur dancing show, Dancing With The Stars.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/uga/steele...d-1006903.html
    "When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    DeKalb County law officers have these "Check points" more for raising revenue, if you will, than for catching drunk drivers. Being arrested for suspicion of drunk driving there, means he probably wasn't given a Breathalyzer, but was put through a battery of roadside tests to determine the cops opinion of Hines soberness. I can't believe is their checkpoints have changed much in 13 years. His bond amounts to extortion or rather a donation to the dekalb County Police F.O.P.
    That's been going for YEARS in GA. When I was just out of college I was driving down to stay with a frat brother and look for a job. I was pulled out of a line of 6 or7 cars....I was in the middle... for speeding. To this date, I still believe it was because I had out of state plates. Hines' arrest, being the celebrity and all, doesn't surprise me one bit, even if his driving was suspicious at the time.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 164

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    That's been going for YEARS in GA. When I was just out of college I was driving down to stay with a frat brother and look for a job. I was pulled out of a line of 6 or7 cars....I was in the middle... for speeding. To this date, I still believe it was because I had out of state plates. Hines' arrest, being the celebrity and all, doesn't surprise me one bit, even if his driving was suspicious at the time.
    ExNCite, I can hear the Deliverance Music in that story!

Look, not defending his decision, but how many people can say at some point they haven't made that very same bad decision? I don't now (partially cause I hardly drink), but I am sure at points in my younger life, I made that bad choice. Does this tarnish his legacy? IMO nope....Putting it in terms of Roethlisberger, there is no comparison..

With that being said, if I had Hines Ward's contract and money, and I wanted to get blitzed at 3:30 A.M...I'd hire a driver...

Just a bad choice.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    ExNCite, I can hear the Deliverance Music in that story!

Threads : 6
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am very disappointed in Hines Ward for putting himself in this situation. However, if he was just texting and driving, then I don't think he would have been arrested. I imagine a breathalyzer test was given if not at the initial stop, then back at the jailhouse. To charge someone with DUI you normally have to have either (a) their BAC tested or (b) video of them being obviously impaired.

If he gave a breathalyzer test and he blew over the legal limit, then he's just plain guilty. There won't be any punishment from the NFL because (1) there is no CBA right now therefore his contract is technically voided and (2) they can't suspend a player for his first DUI. It wouldn't fall under the personal conduct policy but the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Threads : 1632

No big deal, tempest in a teapot becuse he's famous. This will blow over when there is more real NFL news to write and rumour about.

Threads : 1632

Threads : 28

Quote Originally Posted by bignastydefense View Post
    I am very disappointed in Hines Ward for putting himself in this situation. However, if he was just texting and driving, then I don't think he would have been arrested. I imagine a breathalyzer test was given if not at the initial stop, then back at the jailhouse. To charge someone with DUI you normally have to have either (a) their BAC tested or (b) video of them being obviously impaired.
    Media reports are that Hines REFUSED to do the Breathalyzer. This contradicts reports that he blew a .042.

Here in Ohio, it's an automatic (1) YEAR Suspension of your Driver's License if you refuse to do the Breathalyzer.

I imagine Hines has a GA DL (Maybe a PA one ?).

Anyone know what Georgia's DUI Laws are ?
    Last edited by Katmandu; Jul-11-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information