Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers' Harrison to magazine: Goodell a 'devil'

Threads : 186

Default Steelers' Harrison to magazine: Goodell a 'devil'

NEW YORK — Heavily fined Steelers linebacker James Harrison calls NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell a "crook" and a "devil," among other insults, in a magazine article.
    The 2008 AP Defensive Player of the Year hasn't been shy about ripping the league after he was docked $100,000 for illegal hits last season. In the August issue of Men's Journal, his rants against Goodell reach another level of wrath.
    "If that man was on fire and I had to **** to put him out, I wouldn't do it," Harrison told the magazine. "I hate him and will never respect him."
    His other descriptions of the commissioner include an anti-gay slur, "stupid," "puppet" and "dictator."
    If the Steelers had defeated the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl, Harrison said, he would have whispered in Goodell's ear during the trophy ceremony: "Why don't you quit and do something else, like start your own league in flag football?"
    Harrison also criticizes other NFL execs, Patriots-turned-commentators Rodney Harrison and Tedy Bruschi ("clowns"), Houston's Brian Cushing ("juiced out of his mind") — and even teammates Rashard Mendenhall and Ben Roethlisberger for their performances in the Super Bowl loss. Harrison questions whether a black player is punished more for a hard hit on a white player than the opposite.
    Beyond the insults, Harrison makes some serious points about what he believes are the league's misguided attempts to increase safety. He explains how non-guaranteed contracts make players more likely to hit high, because in the short term, a torn knee ligament is more costly than a concussion.
    And Harrison suggests the real way to prevent head injuries is to shorten the season to 14 games, start offseason workouts later and trim the length of training camp so "we're not bangin' heads so much in August; that's where the brain trauma comes from."

Read more: Steelers' Harrison to magazine: Goodell a 'devil' - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1RzWFO4pv

Threads : 413

Default Re: Steelers' Harrison to magazine: Goodell a 'devil'

While I totally agree with Harrison's comments, why paint a big fat target on your jersey? It will be real interesting, and I suspect quite maddening, to watch the crap that he'll be subject to this season. (Assuming, of course, that there actually will be a season.)

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's hard to comment without having read the entire feature but, if the quotes attributed to Harrison are accurate:

1: He does have the right to free speech and might feel the last chance to say anything before the constraints of the NFL are fully reimposed via any new CBA.

2: He can't call Goodell anything much worse than I already have.

3: Any comments about Ben or Mendy - well, at the time I shouted a lot of abuse at the TV (a pick six and a few poor run decisions respectively). I never claimed to be a particularly rational fan, just a fan.

It's seldom a quiet off-season of late, even when it really should be (or at least we might prefer it thus).
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who cares about what he says about Goodell. We all know how he feels about Goodell, and we all presumably feel the same way.

It's what he said about Roethlisberger and Mendenhall, his teammates, that should have the Steelers brass, and his other teammates fuming.

You can think that stuff, but you don't say it in public. I love what James does on the field, but this is indefensible.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

James has been a loose cannon before. I'll take the bad along with the good. He's not my role model. He's one heck of a linebacker. If I want life lessons I'll watch Dr Phil...

Threads : 126
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

While I totally agree with Harrison's comments, why paint a big fat target on your jersey? It will be real interesting, and I suspect quite maddening, to watch the crap that he'll be subject to this season. (Assuming, of course, that there actually will be a season.)
    This is getting really old now with him. Not only is he putting a target on his jersey, but he continues to put a big target on the organization as well when he keeps doing this. I'm sure we all agree with him when it comes to GODell. But, why keep bringing it up? He knows how you feel about him already. All he keeps doing is hurting the team with this crap. How's it going to help the team when GODell decides to start suspending him instead of just fining him?

As far as his comments about Ben are concerned, you just don't do that in public. And he can complain all he wants about Ben's play in the last Super Bowl, but I'm sure he wasn't complaining after Super Bowl XLIII when Ben bailed out his defense on that final drive. You never heard Ben complain about all of the 4th quarter collapses from that defense during the 2009 season.

It's like Harrison has just lost his mind at this point. Now, he wants to open his mouth so much that he takes it to the point where he'll trash his own teammates as well as the enemy. If you want to tell Ben and Rashard that they sucked in the Super Bowl, at least tell them to their faces behind closed doors. I'm still not sure how that would be productive in any way, but you're at least being more of a man doing it that way than in some interview for a magazine.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
    James has been a loose cannon before. I'll take the bad along with the good. He's not my role model. He's one heck of a linebacker. If I want life lessons I'll watch Dr Phil...
    If you get life lessons from Dr.Phil then you need some true help. Dr.Phil is nothing more than afternoon drama kook for women who watch Oprah and the variety package of fake judge/court shows

That said, I love everything Harrison is saying and if it p[aints a target on his back, so be it. It's already there and it wasn't going to go away. He's got ownership that refused to back him and defend him during the 2010 season when he was being wrongly targeted and fined and Art and Dan watched players like Ben Roethlisberger get constantly late hit and not a ****ing thing.

I'm with James, I hope he throws out more insults, I love em

Saw this on the Steelers website..

Statement on James Harrison

Posted 1 hour ago

Statement by Steelers President Art Rooney II on James Harrison:

“I have not yet seen the article in Men’s Journal nor have I spoken to James Harrison about his comments. We will discuss the situation at the appropriate time, when permitted once the labor situation is resolved.”
    Guarantee you that Art will side against James Harrison just as he did during the 2010 season as he watched his players get targeted, fined and face possible suspensions. We all know how much it sucks to not have an Employer defend you it sucks even more when you expect the Steelers brass to be better and different than most. Unfortunately, with more Art II we are getting typical **** ownership than the family style we saw with Art Sr. and Dan in his prime
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNGoldRules View Post
    This is getting really old now with him. Not only is he putting a target on his jersey, but he continues to put a big target on the organization as well when he keeps doing this. I'm sure we all agree with him when it comes to GODell. But, why keep bringing it up? He knows how you feel about him already. All he keeps doing is hurting the team with this crap. How's it going to help the team when GODell decides to start suspending him instead of just fining him?

It's not going to matter, Rules. Whether James keeps quiet or not, he's got a target on his back. We saw it in 2010. He didn't open his mouth to get all of the bull**** fines etc... he had nobody in the Steelers ownership/management brass defending him publicly and questioning Goodell. Let the guy say what he wants when he wants as much as he wants. It's not going to make him any more or less of a target than he already is. Plus it's good entertainment and im sure that James is saying what hundreds of other players are thinking and lack the testicles to say

The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 3263

I'm suprised that anyone is siding with Harrison on this one... He's acting like a complete dumbass...

His comments were asinine, stupid, irresponsible, and just plain wrong IMO...

Yea, I like what he does on the field most of the time, but at some point he just needs to shut the **** up and quit whining... The rules have changed. Everyone else is adapting. Why can't he?... I know that rules change for me in my career, and if I do not follow them I'll be fired... Harrison chooses not to abide, so he gets fined... I do not blame the Rooneys for not supporting him after a while.

As for him knocking Ben and Mendy's performance in the Super Bowl, he only had 1 sack and 1 tackle. Not exactly a "stellar day" either. Furthermore, how much has he cost the team with those penalties when he knows he isn't supposed to lead with his head? Did any of those personal fouls extend the opponent's drive or cost a game?

His incessant whining and complaining is starting to compare to that of a child throwing a temper tantrum... As said, I like what he does on the field most of the time, but I'm begining to believe that he is actually mentally unstable. He needs to grow up... He's not the most important person on the team, he's not even the most important person on the defense. We've had alot of good OLB's over the years, and if James doesn't watch himself, we may have another new one at that position.

... Apparently he posed for pictures in the magazine article holding guns... Given the NFL's stance on that stuff, he's just making himself look even more stupid... He's no role model, no should any player be... But he's starting to become an embarassment IMO.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 126

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one Kip. I agree with everything he says when it comes to Goodell. We all do. But, like I said earlier, this can get worse for him and the team if he keeps it up. Fines by themselves could turn into suspensions. Goodell is an ******* and it wouldn't shock me if he takes it up another notch and suspends him instead of just fining him for the next hard hit or the next comment he makes. How is he helping the team when he's not on the field?

And no way he should be calling out his teammates like that in public. Especially when his defense hasn't been perfect themselves. There was plenty of criticism to go around for that Super Bowl loss. And, like I mentioned earlier, Ben didn't call him or his defense out publicly after their many 4th quarter collapses in 2009 or their collapse in the 4th quarter of Super Bowl XLIII that Ben and the offense bailed them out of on the final drive.

I like James, and I do like that he "tells it like it is". It can be refreshing. But, there has to be a limit IMO. Calling out your own teammates in public to some magazine crosses that line I feel. At least I'm hearing that he has contacted Ben since then, after all of the uproar of course, but I'll give him credit for doing that anyway.
    Last edited by BlackNGoldRules; Jul-13-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Threads : 82

You are right about the Goodell comments at some point you just have to let it go. As far as the comments about his team mates... I don't know why he does this. You have to think that it's going to make himself look bad. In the end though those comments are between him and his team mates. It doesn't effect my life much. You get what you get with Harrison. He is a great player and that is good enough for me. I hear people on the fan today just like anything that happens to any player on the team. Get rid of him. GTFO. That's all I really have to say. These threads are boring to me anymore. This soap opera crap is out of hand. Let me know when camp starts.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The only problem I have with Harrison's comments is that he threw his teammates under the bus also. He referred to Mendy as a fumblina and Ben as a "paid like Peyton, doesn't produce like Peyton" guy. Maybe he has a point, but that **** doesn't belong in the press as far as I'm concerned. Keep it in the locker room.

I'm guessing this is his kamakazee farewell and he might be retiring.
    Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

Threads : 197

Well the Steelers players certainly found a way to dominate the offseason headlines. Definitely not in the way anyone wanted to see though. First Mendenhall, then Ward, now Harrison. Good job, guys.

Threads : 60

I too believe Harrison had some truthful points but wtf, was he thinking voicing this stuff for the public ? He had to know this would create a media bomb and it could only bring bad things.
    Just freakin stupid.No wonder it had taken him so long to learn the position or game well enough to finally become a starter. The guy is a stupid , stupid man.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Gotta admit, it has me scratching my head. His agent said that IH and Ben talked and they're good, but the question is why.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information