Thread: Penguins Sign Goaltender Scott Munroe

Threads : 35
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Penguins Sign Goaltender Scott Munroe

Pittsburgh Penguins
    The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed goaltender Scott Munroe to a one-year contract, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

Munroe’s contract is a two-way deal worth $525,000 at the NHL level.

Munroe, 29, played the 2010-11 season with Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) in Russia. Before that, Munroe spent parts of five seasons playing in the American Hockey League (AHL) for the Philadelphia Phantoms and Bridgeport Sound Tigers.

A native of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Munroe’s best season came with Philadelphia’s AHL squad in 2008-09, when he posted a 31-19-4 record, 2.46 goals-against average, .926 save percentage and four shutouts in 56 games with the Phantoms.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound goaltender has appeared in 174 career AHL regular-season contests, going 83-64-11 with a 2.60 goals-against average, .919 save percentage and 13 shutouts. He has also appeared in 18 AHL postseason contests, where he has compiled a .900 save percentage and two shutouts.

Munroe broke into the professional ranks late in the 2005-06 season after signing with the Philadelphia Flyers organization as an undrafted free agent on April 16, 2006.

Munroe played four collegiate seasons at the University of Alabama-Huntsville from 2002-06. In 99 career games for the Chargers, Munroe went 49-36-7 with a 2.76 goals-against average, .918 save percentage and four shutouts. Munroe’s .918 save percentage is a school record.

Munroe also established Chargers’ single-season records for wins (31, twice), minutes played (1,813), shots faced (1,084) and saves (993).
    formerly known as Eagle7187

Threads : 1817

Default Re: Penguins Sign Goaltender Scott Munroe

looks like a little bit of depth for the minors and nothing more. I'm sort of suprised to see us going to the KHL for a backup goalie for the minors/depth
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 29

Curry is headed to Europe I read somewhere this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Curry is headed to Europe I read somewhere this morning.
    curry had this strange female fanbase following online that were ****ed when Thiessen started getting more playing time. There3 has to be some mini revolt going on right now. I think there was perhaps a mini revolt when Curry dropped behind Pechurski (I think) and Thiessen into 3rd in the depth chart.

Thiessen is the far bette3r goalie prospect. Curry hadnt done crap the past 3 seaons while Thiessen produced strong enough save percentages.

Threads : 29

The way the article sounded the Pens gave him (Curry) the ol' "You don't have to go home but you can't stay here" line. In other words they really didn't want him back.

The Pens org. is pretty deep at goalie. From what I've read some kid (forget the name) at this prospect camp looks really good too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The way the article sounded the Pens gave him (Curry) the ol' "You don't have to go home but you can't stay here" line. In other words they really didn't want him back.

The Pens org. is pretty deep at goalie. From what I've read some kid (forget the name) at this prospect camp looks really good too.
    that was the thing. I think some got comfortable with curry goaltending down in WBS/Wheeling since he had been there for a while. Perhaps some met him but as far as producing, the guy was really mediocre for the pas 3 seasons while Brad Thiessen kept putting up mid teen and 920 type save % numbers. Like you said, i dont think they wanted him back. they have better and younger options. im pretty sure Curry was going to turn 27 by years end. At that age you're becoming Alain Nasrredine - career minor leaguer

Threads : 11
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who the hell is this popcorn eating fart? eh cant be any worse then John Curry.
    "Grind These *****es down".

Pickle Stabbing Big Bodies with big long sticks power moves and net front presence.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well Curry had no chance of advancing beyond the minors. He is pretty much famous for ****ting the ice pretty badly for the pens. And Perchursky became a legend. And of course I missed that one. I love BJ but if the unfortunate happened I would finally like to see the Theison kid up with the bigs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information