Thread: Free agent RB Benson charged with assault on family member

Threads : 186

Default Free agent RB Benson charged with assault on family member

Cincinnati Bengals running back Cedric Benson has been arrested and charged with assault causing bodily injury to a family member. The charge is a Class-A misdemeanor.

"Mr. Benson has been charged with misdemeanor assault arising out of a conflict with a former male roommate," Benson's agent, Sam Bassett, said in a statement Sunday. "The 2 had difficulties resulting from Mr. Benson asking the former male roommate to leave his home a few days prior to this incident. The conflict became physical early this morning and we intend to fully investigate."
    The arrest was first reported by YNN Austin.
    The 28-year-old Benson is currently awaiting trial on an assault charge stemming from an altercation at an Austin bar on May 30, 2010. It has been postponed until Aug. 29, theAustin American-Statesman reported in June.
    Benson received the new date after his lawyers requested more time to prepare their case in Travis County Court. Sam Bassett, one of Benson's lawyers, told the newspaper he needed to review evidence recently received from prosecutors and that the delay also could lead to a plea deal.
    NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell opted not to penalize Benson, who had other run-ins with the law, under the league's personal-conduct policy. Benson could face up to a year in prison if convicted on the assault charge, but he didn't sound overcome with worry when asked about it last year.
    "I didn't think anything severely would come out of it," he said. "We'll clear it up with the courts and work itself out just as things will be dealt with."
    Benson led Cincinnati in rushing the past three seasons, but he'll become an unrestricted free agent when the NFL lockout is lifted. He joined Bengals players for a voluntary workout in June at the University of Cincinnati.

Threads : 30
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Free agent RB Benson charged with assault on family member

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell opted not to penalize Benson, who had other run-ins with the law, under the league's personal-conduct policy.
    Of course not. Goodell saves all the penalizations up for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Free agent RB Benson charged with assault on family member

You know, I really believe the media is getting too "nutso" on some of this stuff.... I listen to Sirius NFL Radio pretty much every day, and this sort of thing is happening league-wide with lots of players.... Blame it on the lockout, or blame it on them being idiots, it doesn't really matter.... You can pretty much find something on any team this year....

I've actualy lost interest with it being so wide-spread.... And that's saying a bunch, as I am your "Friendly Neighborhood Bungle Basher"...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information