Thread: So What is too much for Pence??

Threads : 7
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default So What is too much for Pence??

What do you guys think is too much to give up for a guy like Hunter? Would it be too much to give up Marte, Lincoln, and an A ball pitcher like ZVR or Cain? To me I don't think so. Pence is on a 3 year deal and will produce at least close to 25/100 every year! He would add a guy next to Alvarez who could probably protect Pedro and give him the opportunity to see better pitches, which would make the team better in 2 positions at least. Would you give up Pressley?? Considering there wouldn't be a position for him to play, as opposed to Marte?? I think if there is a trade to be made this is the one! It will make a difference not only immediately but also the future!

Just my opinion, but I say if they can then go for it!!!

Threads : 197

Default Re: So What is too much for Pence??

Maybe I'm alone here, but I just don't think Pence is the right fit. Flukey BABIP this year (.385 vs. .328 career) has masked some things. Walk rate's still just 6.1% (6.7% career) and his ISO has steadily dropped ever year (.168 this year). I don't think he approaches 25 HRs playing at PNC. 74 of his 103 career HRs have been to left or left center. PNC murders right handed power a much as any stadium. According to the park factors it's actually tougher than what people would typically view as the extreme pitchers parks (San Diego, Seattle, Oakland, etc.). I'm also not a fan of his contract situation. If he had an actual 3 year deal you'd probably be in better position. His Super Two year and his 3+ year arb awards have actually pushed him to the point where I don't think you're getting much of a bargain on his final two years.

Threads : 3

DONT give up Presley. I think he will end up better than Pence, in the Pirates system. He doesn't fit compared to Presley.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe I'm alone here, but I just don't think Pence is the right fit. Flukey BABIP this year (.385 vs. .328 career) has masked some things. Walk rate's still just 6.1% (6.7% career) and his ISO has steadily dropped ever year (.168 this year). I don't think he approaches 25 HRs playing at PNC. 74 of his 103 career HRs have been to left or left center. PNC murders right handed power a much as any stadium. According to the park factors it's actually tougher than what people would typically view as the extreme pitchers parks (San Diego, Seattle, Oakland, etc.). I'm also not a fan of his contract situation. If he had an actual 3 year deal you'd probably be in better position. His Super Two year and his 3+ year arb awards have actually pushed him to the point where I don't think you're getting much of a bargain on his final two years.
    Doesnt mean much but Pence has a healthy 8 dingers and .840 OPS at PNC Park. I probably wouldn't get as analyctically concerned with righty vs. lefty at PNC either.

The contract is an issue but it's a better scenerio than guys older and he is in his 20's still. nice prime year numbers IMO. I'm not advocating definitely getting Pence, but he's likely the best player out there at the trade deadline for us in the OF unless we could get Carlos Beltran for half of what Pence is asking for since Beltran is an OLD rental only type

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    DONT give up Presley. I think he will end up better than Pence, in the Pirates system. He doesn't fit compared to Presley.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Hunter Pence was hitting .322 with 17 homers in over 100 games at the same age as Alex Presley.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    DONT give up Presley.
    X2....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 4

I say we go for it. The proposal you mentioned Akron would be worth it IMO. As some people have pointed out on here. If we did get Pence in right, Cutch in center, and either Presley or Tabata in left, where would Marte play anyways. All of our OF's would be fairly young and pretty good. I'd rather see them get a first basemen, but Pence seems like the best young hitter available, so lets go for it.

Threads : 35

Another vote for acquiring Pence. I'm so much in favor of this deal that I'd give the Houstons their choice: Tabata, Presley or Marte. They're all more or less 3 peas from the same pod and it is doubtful that all have a future in Pittsburgh.

Threads : 0

I don't see any reason we should be targeting Pence. Our outfield is awesome, our BIG problem is the corner infield. Pedro's catching fire in AAA, so that could be one solution. The other solution should be first base, probably Carlos Pena.

Threads : 215

We are discussing good things, not related to desperation in this thread.
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information