Thread: Chase d'Arnaud is Day To Day With Neck Stiffness

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Chase d'Arnaud is Day To Day With Neck Stiffness

d'Arnaud day to day with stiffness in neck
    By Jenifer Langosch / MLB.com | 07/19/11 1:35 AM ET

PITTSBURGH -- Forced to exit Monday's 2-0 win over the Reds in the fifth inning with neck stiffness, Chase d'Arnaud said he doesn't expect the ailment to be more than a day-to-day issue. He will be re-evaluated on Tuesday, after which the Pirates will provide another update on his status.

The stiffness was the direct result of a headfirst slide d'Arnaud made into third base in the fourth. d'Arnaud briefly consulted with manager Clint Hurdle and head trainer Brad Henderson after he was slow to get up, but he remained in the game and scored Pittsburgh's first run.

After playing one more inning in the field, though, d'Arnaud left the game.

"At first, when it happened, it was a little tight, but I thought it would be fine," he said afterward. "The next inning on defense, as the inning went on it kind of locked up more and more to the point where I felt like I was just hurting the team. I let the trainers know and they took action."

Despite being shaken up on the slide, d'Arnaud's aggressive decision to advance to third on a single by Neil Walker set the Pirates up to score twice in the fourth. Walker advanced to second on Jay Bruce's throw to third, which put d'Arnaud and Walker in position to come home on a groundout and subsequent sacrifice fly. Those ended up being the only two runs scored in the game.

d'Arnaud was warned by the trainers that the stiffness will likely be worse when he wakes up on Tuesday, which would suggest that he likely won't start the second game of a three-game set against the Reds.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110718&content_id=21971114&vkey=news_pit&c_id=pit

Jenifer Langosch is a reporter for MLB.com. Read her blog, By Gosh, It's Langosch, and follow her on Twitter @LangoschMLB. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Chase d'Arnaud is Day To Day With Neck Stiffness

... Sean Casey (Reds color commentator) was talking about it when d'arnaud slid head-first into into 3rd... Said it was a good, gutsy play but rather dangerous.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ... Sean Casey (Reds color commentator) was talking about it when d'arnaud slid head-first into into 3rd... Said it was a good, gutsy play but rather dangerous.
    I felt the same thing. It was really a ballsy move, that's for sure. The decision to go for that 3rd base was gutsy itself but to go hard in head first ..

He'll probably have a sotre neck for a couple of days
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 24

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Little off topic, but George Grande and Sean Casey were great last night on the Reds broadcast (Pirates telecast blacked out for me). I hate the regular Reds announcers, Thom Brenneman and Chris Welch. Welsh is especially idiotic. I bet the Reds fans were a little put off by all of Casey's references to living in Pittsburgh and Grande was really well-prepared to talk about the Pirates turnaround this year. As for d'Arnaud, he makes a lot of mistakes, and hasn't quite figured out major league pitching, but the guy does things in a game, either on defense, or on the bases, that can win it for you, which is exactly hat he did last night.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information