Thread: The NFL Is Going To Make Every Touchdown Scored Get Automatically Reviewed..

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The NFL Is Going To Make Every Touchdown Scored Get Automatically Reviewed..

NFL games are about to get longer and more replay-filled

By MJD

[IMGR]http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/62/6294d524baa5dcdd7dd1b77f922b2188/nfl_games_are_about_to_get_longer_and_more_replayf illed.jpg[/IMGR]Hey, here's something I hate. An increased number of booth reviews in the 2011 season is going to lead to longer games, says the NFL's former vice president of officiating.

A new rule goes into effect this year stating that every scoring play that happens in the course of an NFL game will be automatically reviewed by the replay official. Here's an explanation of that process from Mike Pereira at FOXSports.com:
    If an official rules a score (touchdown, field goal, safety or extra point) during a game, the replay official will automatically review the play. If there is any question as to whether the ruling is correct, they will buzz down to the referee and ask him to come to the monitor to review the play. If the replay official confirms the ruling is correct, they will buzz the referee indicating he is clear to let the scoring team attempt the extra point, or kick off if the scoring play was a field goal, safety or extra-point attempt. A coach will not be allowed to challenge the ruling of a score. The intent is to save the coach from having to challenge the ruling of a score and, thus, increase his chances of not running out of challenges or timeouts.
    Overkill.

It's not necessarily that I'm anti-replay; if the right call can be made, then it should be. But in the quest to "get it right," it seems like the flow of the game is often completely discarded, and I'd argue that that's way more important to the NFL's viewing experience. And now we're building more stoppages into the game, right after its most exciting plays?

Unnecessary stoppages brutalize a game's watchability. It's like these "reality" shows, where they pound in unending pauses in an effort to manufacture artificial drama, but end up just being irritating as all hell. I don't know how anyone can stand that.
    We should be looking at ways to shorten games, not make them longer. If a 1 p.m. game isn't going to end until 5, I want it to be because it went into overtime and gave us free football. It seems like we're getting to the point now that a game won't end on time (before the 4/4:15 games start) unless it happens to be contested by two teams that favor a ball-control offense.

And think about this, too: You know that super-annoying thing that networks do when, after a score, there's a commercial break, they come back for the kickoff, and then have another commercial break, and it seems like there's about a half hour between plays from scrimmage?

Throw a replay break into that, too. You'll see the same Coors Light commercial six times before anyone takes another snap.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/NFL-games-are-about-to-get-longer-and-more-repla?urn=nfl-wp3507
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The NFL Is Going To Make Every Touchdown Scored Get Automatically Reviewed..

Threads : 123
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The NFL Is Going To Make Every Touchdown Scored Get Automatically Reviewed..

Push the fans farther from the game...

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The continued over regulation of the game is going to kill it. So if the refs miss a holding call are they gonna review the play and call the penalty. I hate blown and missed calls but c'mon, don't take the human element out of the game.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 30

This new rule is going to mess with any momentum a team may have going on during a game, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This new rule is going to mess with any momentum a team may have going on during a game, too.
    Completely!

The only thing that i do like is that it's up to the refs discretion. OK, liking that might be a bad thing but basically the nly time we should really see reviews are on "iffy" type of calls that we usually see coaches challenge anyways. So basically we have the replay booth guys checking out all of the TD's.. good, I thought this was part of what they always did anyways If something looks suspect they'll buzz the refs to check it out or if the refs seem unsure they can as well.

I guess we will have to see how it plays out.

One thing that this should technically do though, is eliminate coaches reviews on TD's

Threads : 48

Why don't they just eliminate tackling altogether so there won't be any disputes???

Threads : 30

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Completely!

The only thing that i do like is that it's up to the refs discretion. OK, liking that might be a bad thing but basically the nly time we should really see reviews are on "iffy" type of calls that we usually see coaches challenge anyways. So basically we have the replay booth guys checking out all of the TD's.. good, I thought this was part of what they always did anyways If something looks suspect they'll buzz the refs to check it out or if the refs seem unsure they can as well.

I guess we will have to see how it plays out.

One thing that this should technically do though, is eliminate coaches reviews on TD's
    I hope you're right, Kipper. Otherwise, it will be like "icing" the entire team, and that would just suck unless, of course, it was the Steelers' opposition that was being iced in which case it would be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Why don't they just eliminate tackling altogether so there won't be any disputes???
    What happens if someone yanks the flag too hard and the quarterback twists an ankle in the process? Can we have that? Absolutely not. We could put players in dresses like Tom Brady, the Cincinnati Bengals defense, Ed Reed, but what happens when they jump in the air and their dress flips up and their spanx get exposed? The mental anguish those players could have is crippling. We can't have that happen.

Therefor, every team should just have to go and buy a Jerry Jones Jumbo Tron and place it right in the middle of the field. If you don't have a dome, just set it on the field and from now on, all football games will be played with controllers via EA Sports. We'll have players alternate every couple of minutes to prevent thumb fatigue and injury

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    I hope you're right, Kipper. Otherwise, it will be like "icing" the entire team, and that would just suck unless, of course, it was the Steelers' opposition that was being iced in which case it would be okay.
    I don't really see it being a whole lot different than it is now except that instead of the coaches wasting challenge calls to force a review, the Refs would automatically do it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information