Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's put things into perspective

Threads : 413

Default Let's put things into perspective

OK, so the Cards have beat us up pretty badly in the last 2 games. They have batted .403 as team with 42 TBs and 10 BBs. The Bucs on the other hand have batted .288 with 24TBs and 2 BBs (yes only 2). So what does that tell me? Not a great deal. The Cards are hot right now and we aren't. Happens to EVERY team during the season.

I get the feeling, in reading some of the posts, that we are all of a sudden in a panic mode. (Case in point is that idiot Smizick who goes back and forth more than a tall tree in a heavy wind.) The sky will come crashing down on us if we don't go sign the Beltran-type rental player or rush Pedro back when he's still learning how it's done. Instead of saying the glass is half empty, I say it's half full. We're supposed to be in this for the long run. That's the FO plan and I believe we shouldn't stray from that.

Just remember at the beginning of the season, everyone would have been ecstatic if we were in the position we are today. We quite likely won't win the division but as long as we continue to improve, draft and develop well and add a piece from the outside when the opportunity presents itself, I'll be satisfied. To do well this year and then fall back next year, would be more of a disaster to me. But that's just me.
    Last edited by exNCite; Jul-24-2011 at 10:24 AM.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 691

Default Re: Let's put things into perspective

rush Pedro back when he's still learning how it's done.
    The Tribe then narrowed the margin to a single score with a home run of their own in the sixth, when Alvarez obliterated a 1-0 pitch to deep right center that cleared the lawn seats and scored All-Star 1B Matt Hague to push the score to 6-5. With the longball, Alvarez continues his torrid pace as he has now hit three home runs in has last nine games, during which time he has also posted a .454 (15-for-33) average with six runs and eight RBI.

I'm sorry Ex,but I can see no reason what so ever why Pedro isn't up and starting at third.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Tribe then narrowed the margin to a single score with a home run of their own in the sixth, when Alvarez obliterated a 1-0 pitch to deep right center that cleared the lawn seats and scored All-Star 1B Matt Hague to push the score to 6-5. With the longball, Alvarez continues his torrid pace as he has now hit three home runs in has last nine games, during which time he has also posted a .454 (15-for-33) average with six runs and eight RBI.

I'm sorry Ex,but I can see no reason what so ever why Pedro isn't up and starting at third.
    I can't argue with you on that point. I can only ask this question. What did he do to correct the disaster of the first half before he went to the DL? Is the relatively short time in Indy a true indication of what he will do when he gets called back up and what if he falls back? I wholeheartedly agree we need his bat, but I also believe that Pedro and Pedro alone isn't enough to turn us into perennial winners.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    I can't argue with you on that point. I can only ask this question. What did he do to correct the disaster of the first half before he went to the DL? Is the relatively short time in Indy a true indication of what he will do when he gets called back up and what if he falls back? I wholeheartedly agree we need his bat, but I also believe that Pedro and Pedro alone isn't enough to turn us into perennial winners.
    He's corrected his timing. He's making contact with the ball well and getting meat on the ball. Pedro's problems earlier were IMO poor timing. He looked like his swing was slow or there was a delay. Right now, that obviously isn';t an issue becaause he's raking in AAA and provuides the type of HOT production that we desperately need offensively right now.

Pedro Alvarez needs brought up and needed brought up yesterday.

Look a the WTF lineup Hurdle threw out on the field yesterday. Everyone sitting around me at PNc Park was wondering what the that was. What it was, was Clint Hurdle trying to make something out of nothing because we lack the punch in Offense right now. Pedro provides that punch, that power, Doumit will bring that punch that power.

That said, after last nights game, after the game before, the pitching has gotten bombed. Maholm and Correia didn't just get hit, the Cards bats were teeing the pitches up like they were batting practice. Something like 4 or 5 Homers by the Cards this series.. Offense won't matter if our pitching staff isn't the strength of the team. Against the Cardinals, the pitching staff has looked like the 2010 pitching staff - a big time weakness. We won't go anywhere this season if the pitching staff can't go toe to toe with the Carpenters and Garcia's.

That said, I'm not in fukll panic mode, disappointed yes but I'll probably elaborate later in an Article, (short one) but i want to see the outcome of todays game (which i probably wont get the chance to watch)
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Its not like this hasnt happened before this season, the cards just plain love hitting at PNC, no reason why we cant steal one today and reset and get ready to take the next series. We cant win every series. besides, fridays game was competitive, with presley pulled because of a thumb bruise, we had a wtf lineup out there and a wtf infield. we got crushed, it happens. back off that ledge folks we are not finished yet.

Threads : 7

It's just two games of a weekend series. Has it been pretty? Not by a long stretch, but it does happen! We are still tied with the Cardinals in the loss column and that is the main point. The team is going to have it's ups and downs and it's surprises and struggles. Pedro is needed and I'm sure he will be up here in short order but I like the fact that he has been given the opportunity to right the ship in AAA. It will only help in the long term. The team does need a good pitching performance today and they need to play well in ATL and Philly but I can't complain about where they are right now!!! After 18 years of terrible baseball, I'm not willing to jump off the top of a building just yet!!!

the cards just plain love hitting at PNC
    Which is easy when you have Pujols,Holliday and Berkman hitting back to back to back.

Threads : 5

OK, so the Cards have beat us up pretty badly in the last 2 games. They have batted .403 as team with 42 TBs and 10 BBs. The Bucs on the other hand have batted .288 with 24TBs and 2 BBs (yes only 2). So what does that tell me? Not a great deal. The Cards are hot right now and we aren't. Happens to EVERY team during the season.

I get the feeling, in reading some of the posts, that we are all of a sudden in a panic mode. (Case in point is that idiot Smizick who goes back and forth more than a tall tree in a heavy wind.) The sky will come crashing down on us if we don't go sign the Beltran-type rental player or rush Pedro back when he's still learning how it's done. Instead of saying the glass is half empty, I say it's half full. We're supposed to be in this for the long run. That's the FO plan and I believe we shouldn't stray from that.

Just remember at the beginning of the season, everyone would have been ecstatic if we were in the position we are today. We quite likely won't win the division but as long as we continue to improve, draft and develop well and add a piece from the outside when the opportunity presents itself, I'll be satisfied. To do well this year and then fall back next year, would be more of a disaster to me. But that's just me.
    Not panicking here. I've been pretty open about where I am on the trading deadline.

I think those clamoring for a big "splash" trade by deadline fall into two categories:
    1- those who are wanting a big splash trade so when it doesn't happen, they can continue their ***** sessions about the FO. Let's face it, they need new ammo and this (at least they fell) will provide the necessary ammo to thump their chests and say "I told you so".

2-Those who have gotten caught up in the frenzy with the success the team is having thus far this year. These people may not realize that the minor league system has just been recently rebuilt and we don't have a plethora of prospects that we can just give up for a rental player.

In regards to Pedro, I want him to stay in AAA until he has his timing, swing, AND confidence back before he gets called back up to the MLB. I'd rather lose another series (even if that means we fall out of contention) and have him back where he needs to be. it will help both the PBC and Pedro if he comes back when he's ready. Maybe not in the short term (this season), but in the long term.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is going to sound negative maybe for lack of a better way to express this particular thought. The Pirates Winning the division this season was never a consideration for me because I picked them to win 72-76 games this year. It's real easy to get caught up in the first place hype and I am guilty of it as anyone, but the reality is that it takes better talent to win a division title over a 162 season and the fact is the Cardinals and the Brewers have more talent the Buccos. What the Pirates have displayed all year, is that they play with heart and grit. They are also the 3rd best team in the division which is a tremendous improvement in one season. I want the Pirates to win and want to see a division title but not at the expense of the plan, and Clint Hurdle is now going to have to do the job he was hired to do, keep the team together and believing they can win in the midst of this 3jam game skid and a stretch of 8 upcoming games against the NL'S best teams.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 0

I agree. I mean it has been about a month when counting A-AA-AAA all together, since his rehab stint started, so all and all he's doing AWESOME in the lower levels. But I still think it's worth looking at him for another week or two. If we rushed him right back and he started struggling again at MLB level, then how do we look? We can't rush talent in the farm up because our MLB club can't hit worth dirt.

I guess you could bring him up, see how he does the rest of the season, and see if he shows up to ST next year with an actual clue on how to hit a fastball. Otherwise you wasted your time again.

Threads : 6

You're not going to win every game or every series. We went 3-3 on the homestand, not 1-5. Now it's time to go to the ATL and kick some *** there.

Today had a single,triple RBI,run scored. His average is up to .365. FREE PEDRO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bignastydefense View Post
    You're not going to win every game or every series. We went 3-3 on the homestand, not 1-5. Now it's time to go to the ATL and kick some *** there.
    Exactly. Today was a gutsy win. We didn't hit the cover off the ball, we played small ball; our pitching wasn't spectacular but they hung in there. It was a game we've seen way too many times over the past decade+ and you just knew that the Cards were going to come up with that big hit and sweep us. Problem is they didn't and we did. Yes it was a gutsy win but the important word here is WIN.

Threads : 7

Even after a tough weekend series the Buccos are back in front in the loss column!!! This is a huge week coming up starting tomorrow in ATL. If the Buccos can survive the next week we could be looking at a special season, one that we will all remember!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel View Post
    Even after a tough weekend series the Buccos are back in front in the loss column!!! This is a huge week coming up starting tomorrow in ATL. If the Buccos can survive the next week we could be looking at a special season, one that the baseball world will remember!!!
    There. I fixed it for ya.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information