Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Good Article Regarding Deadline

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Very Good Article Regarding Deadline

I saw this ditty this evening.

Thought it was very good and worth sharing.

pittsburghsportspennline.blogspot.com/2011/07/backwa…

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw this ditty this evening.

Thought it was very good and worth sharing.

pittsburghsportspennline.blogspot.com/2011/07/backwa…

Oops, let's try the link again.

http://pittsburghsportspennline.blog...ates-fans.html

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Very Good Article Regarding Deadline

Great article Vandy, thanks for posting. That is something all Pirate fans need to read.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 0

Yes, I REALLY wish more Pirates fans would grasp this. On one hand, I do think it's awesome that I can argue with my friends outside of internet message boards about why the PIRATES (of all teams in Pittsburgh) shouldn't be making a trade, but on the other hand, it's getting very obnoxious to hear it from people. This season is the STARTING POINT of something bigger.

The fact of the matter is they played horrible their past 6 games, yet still went 3-3. This team can still be competitive without unloading for a bat. On top of the fact that you have a kid in the farm with a 900 OPS, who hit 16 HR's last year in limited time, knocking on the door to come back to the team. Plus if you wanted to, you still have someone like Matt Hague, who by all means should be an upgrade over Lyle Overbay.

Hunter Pence is a good baseball player. Hunter Pence is the Astros best player. The Astros SUCK. So people are kind of blowing Hunter Pence out of proportion. He's good, he's not THAT good. He's not that good, to where we should seriously consider unloading one of our top prospects + more to land him. We are not in that position, and Hunter Pence isn't going to make this a WS team.

Carlos Beltran is not coming to Pittsburgh, that one is nuts. The Braves/Phillies both want him, and both have way better pieces to deal than us, not to mention those are pieces that are expendable to those teams. Those two teams ARE in a position to deal some of their top prospects, because they have very established MLB clubs that will still be competitive for the next few years.

I know it's tough to hear for some people, but be patient. Getting to .500 this season is VERY possible, getting to the playoffs even is, if Pedro comes back and REALLY tears it up. We're fine for right now with what we have. If there's any trade to make, it would be dishing a couple of C prospects for a Carlos Pena or something.

Threads : 22

Great article.

I am tired of the YELLS for NH to do something. Like he can just snap his fingers and make a trade happen.

I realize the frustration of people in the past, but, the demands are higher too when teams KNOW the Pirates (and other teams) are looking.

It's not like it's just the PBC wanting to improve.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The "acquire Player X" faction often seem to forget that, as in all trades, you have to give something to get something. What would Pence or Beltran cost? Well, if their current teams have any business acumen, it would be their time to scalp teams who look desperate. Take whatever they have plus 10%.

Imagine what it would be like in a few years if a trade were committed to early, several players/prospects traded for one "big hitter" who might hit a slump. The screams of "What happened to our prospects/system players?" would be as deafening as, well, the anti-establishment fans have been since I've been here.

Desperation trading is not the answer.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 215

War, read yer pm.
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Threads : 413

It was a great article and really what I was trying to say in my "perspective" thread. We should be in this for the long run, not just this season.
    Thanks vandelay. Good find.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great find with the article Vandy.

It was a great article and really what I was trying to say in my "perspective" thread. We should be in this for the long run, not just this season.
    Thanks vandelay. Good find.

Great find with the article Vandy.

You're welcome, both.

I agree with it too, obviously, but I would like to see 2 things happen:

1. Get Alvarez up here. Ok, lesson, or whatever learned. An Alvarez at where he was, horrible early this year, is still better (and with much greater upside to do better) than what we currently have at 3B.

2. I'd like to see them get Pena for this year. I really don't care how much he strikes out. He's a massive upgrade with his power potential at 1B. Hell, platoon him with Pearce/Diaz and it is better. He won't cost much more than cash and a C-level prospect. Go for it.

A 3-6 of Cutch-Pena-Alvarez-Walker can actually do some damage.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That Articles was solid. Said everything that msot of us have said, so it's good to see a source from The Fan actuall agreeing and taking the time to post that blog.

I added a quick comment over there which was ..

Actually the time line for the Hossa/Pens trade is a year off. When you compare the Pens and Pirates, the Pirates coming out of nowhere to compete for the playoffs is more in line with the 2006-07 Pittsburgh Penguins that made very minimal, low risk trades for Georges LaRaque, Gary Roberts and Joel Kwiatkowski. Ray Shero has tributes paid to him for these types of moves, if Neal Huntington makes these types of trades, the airwaves and internet will be lighting torces and spitting venom at the FO
    This is the flat out truth. The Pens approach in 2006-07 was one of uncertaintly. A very young team came out of nowhere to win big and compete for the Playoffs ahead of when Management had predicted. So much uncertainty that the moves at the trade deadline that were made were very minimal. they were acquiring a 4th line fighter, a veteran guy with declining offensive skills but a good mentor for the young kid in their first playoff experience and a 7th defenseman for depth. That's not Carlos Beltran. And a Carlos Beltran equivalent wouldn't have prevented that 2006-07 Pens team from getting obliterated in the first round by the Senators either.

Playing it safe was the right decision.

Same thign with the Pirates IMO. Unless we can get a really good deal where we aren't giving up pieces of the future for a rental or if we can manage to pick up a longer term piece without killing our prospect list... the Buccos should really stand pat, maybe find another BP arm if they are that concerned.

If The Smizik's Lemmings whine and *****, so be it. The strength of this FO is ignoring the cries from the fanbase that are made on part emotional reaction and part stupidity
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    That Articles was solid. Said everything that msot of us have said, so it's good to see a source from The Fan actuall agreeing and taking the time to post that blog.

I added a quick comment over there which was ..

This is the flat out truth. The Pens approach in 2006-07 was one of uncertaintly. A very young team came out of nowhere to win big and compete for the Playoffs ahead of when Management had predicted. So much uncertainty that the moves at the trade deadline that were made were very minimal. they were acquiring a 4th line fighter, a veteran guy with declining offensive skills but a good mentor for the young kid in their first playoff experience and a 7th defenseman for depth. That's not Carlos Beltran. And a Carlos Beltran equivalent wouldn't have prevented that 2006-07 Pens team from getting obliterated in the first round by the Senators either.

Playing it safe was the right decision.

Same thign with the Pirates IMO. Unless we can get a really good deal where we aren't giving up pieces of the future for a rental or if we can manage to pick up a longer term piece without killing our prospect list... the Buccos should really stand pat, maybe find another BP arm if they are that concerned.

If The Smizik's Lemmings whine and *****, so be it. The strength of this FO is ignoring the cries from the fanbase that are made on part emotional reaction and part stupidity

That's **** right.

I recall heading into that series that they were 'ahead of the plan'. It's almost like they were playing with house money. I know I, and a lot others, were just happy to be there, saw the future with the team, and just wanted them to use those playoffs as an experience-builder to better themselves for the future.

Edit: The highlight function put a strike thru the post I was referencing.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    That's **** right.

I recall heading into that series that they were 'ahead of the plan'. It's almost like they were playing with house money. I know I, and a lot others, were just happy to be there, saw the future with the team, and just wanted them to use those playoffs as an experience-builder to better themselves for the future.

Edit: The highlight function put a strike thru the post I was referencing.

I need to take those BBcodes down. They aren't updated by the developer yet so they don't fucntion properly. I'm waiting for all of the patches for the new editor to come.

the Senators series you saw NOBODY *****ing about us needing to do anything and the Pens that year had the lowest payroll in all of the NHL. not a single word about billionaire Burkle being cheap if the Pens didn't had a 40 goal scorer or anything else.

The Pens played it right, they showed patience and they also knew that the team wasn't really quite ripe and ready to go all the way. Same for the Pirates right now IMO.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 215

I am jumping on the Pena wagon.
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think I'd be alright with Pena, it makes the most sense cost wise but who knows, I think NH surprises (in a good way) everyone and pulls out a solid deal.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information