Thread: Bengals sign QB Bruce Gradkowski

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Bengals sign QB Bruce Gradkowski

Bengals sign QB Bruce Gradkowski
    7-27-2011
    * By Ian Preuth

CINCINNATI - The Cincinnati Bengals have signed a veteran quarterback to compete with Andy Dalton, another sign that the organization is moving on without Carson Palmer.

According to John Clayton and Adam Schefter of ESPN, the team has agreed to a two-year deal with Bruce Gradkowski. The team cannot officially announce the deal until Friday. Terms of the deal have not been released.

Gradkowski posted the following message to Twitter Wednesday afternoon: BENGAL fans let's get ready to rock n' roll!!! Can't wait for this great opportunity!!

Gradkowski, a 6th round pick of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2006, spent the past two seasons with the Oakland Raiders. He also played one season with the Cleveland Browns.

Current Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden is familiar with Gradkowski. Gruden served as an offensive assistant with the Bucs while Gradkowski was in Tampa Bay.

Clayton said on Twitter that Gradkowski beat out former Colts and Giants quarterback Jim Sorgi to be the veteran to compete against Dalton in training camp.

Bengals owner Mike Brown said during a news conference on Tuesday that Dalton would go into training camp as the team's starter. Brown also said that he wishes Palmer well and that the Bengals former number one pick "is retired" and that the team will not "reward him" by granting his trade request. Palmer said after the 2010 season that he wanted to be traded or he would retire.

The Bengals selected Dalton with their second-round pick in April's NFL Draft. This signing provides the team with a safety net if Dalton is not ready to start the season as the team's number one quarterback.

However, Gradkowski and Jordan Palmer (restricted free agent) cannot officially take snaps with the Bengals due to language in the collective bargaining agreement which states players who sign new contracts are prohibited from practicing until the new league year begins on Thursday, Aug. 4.

Ironically, Gradkowski's first career start in the NFL was against the Bengals in 2009 when he led the Raiders to a 20-17 win over Cincinnati.

In his career Gradkowski has 20 starts, 20 touchdowns and 23 interceptions with a 65.9 quarterback rating.

Dalton was drafted as the quarterback of the future. The team was not going to trade for Kevin Kolb, Donovan McNabb, or Kyle Orton. Former Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck agreed to terms with the Tennesse Titans. Gradkowski makes sense and provides the team with a much needed veteran quarterback.

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/sports/footb...uce-gradkowski
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 82

Well they upgraded the QB position lol.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bengals sign QB Bruce Gradkowski

It's all too wonderful for words!
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 30
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Bengals will still suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Bengals will still suck.
    They suck hard enough to crush their fans' spirit to a singularity. When Gradkowski (5 years, 20 starts, 4-16) is looked on as a possible mentor... Gadzooks! The biggest surprise is that Vince Young, the Milhouse Van Houten of the NFL ("My mom says I'm cool!") wasn't the victim of this opportunity.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Now Ouchopsycho is headed to New England. The comedy... Bladder compression... Aaaaaargh!

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now Ouchopsycho is headed to New England. The comedy... Bladder compression... Aaaaaargh!
    Yeah? I'd like to see him pull his routine with BB. But BB ain't soft like his old coach.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you drafted Andy Dalton to start this season AND be your qb of the future, your season and career are just about over.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 60

Do the Bengals have a new head coach too ? Talk about one messed up franchise. That organization is prrof that, you can not allow the inmates to run the prison with Chad being the biggest distraction and ring leader.

It makes me laugh when Chad Johnson says' I know if I won a Super Bowl I, would then get into the hall of fame. That ******* should pay attention to the many players in the hall of fame that never got near a super bowl but, they were talented players, team players for the most part and most weren't a cancer to their team like Chad.

Good for what is happening to the the Bengals organization once again for always taking the low road.

Nope same guy. Thats the joke of the whole thing. Why they like that bum, Ill never know.

Threads : 60

I don't know if he's a bum because I really don't think they allowed him to actually have team control. They have/had all those guys on the team that cause so much distraction and what have you and to my knowledge the owner would side with the sins instead of the saints.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information