Thread: I can't help but notice

Threads : 91
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default I can't help but notice

For all the foot stomping and gnashing of teeth I read on the internet this week about how bad the Pirates line up is.

They still managed to split the series with the team leading the wild card race, and outscored the Braves 12-9.

Now I'm not saying I think this is a great line up. Or even that they don't need an upgrade. It's pretty apparent they do.

I'm saying people need to relax a little bit.
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: I can't help but notice

I think some of it's habitual. It's obvious that there is a good wedge of work to be done and I suspect Hurdle is going to be a force behind the scenes. Some of the vocal "anti" fans seem to forget that there's also business involved in any personnel influx and that you have to sometimes be sensible on a fiscal level.

Still, if being thus floats the "anti" fan boat...
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Yikes! I double-posted!. Sorry about that....
    Last edited by War Machine; Jul-29-2011 at 07:02 AM.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 126
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting for LaRoche View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For all the foot stomping and gnashing of teeth I read on the internet this week about how bad the Pirates line up is.

They still managed to split the series with the team leading the wild card race, and outscored the Braves 12-9.

Now I'm not saying I think this is a great line up. Or even that they don't need an upgrade. It's pretty apparent they do.

I'm saying people need to relax a little bit.
    People have to take into account as well that the Braves have a very good pitching staff, in particular their bullpen which the Pirates saw a lot of in that 19 inning game. Yes, they still need upgraded offensively no question, but I certainly wouldn't make any hasty judgements about their offense based off of this series against a good staff. And it's not going to get any easier this weekend against an even better staff.

I was happy with a split series against the Braves. The lousy call in the 19th was lucky for the Braves in a game where crap calls hindered both sides - I'm happy not to have to deal with that fragging annoying tomahawk chop any more. Tomahawk chumps...

The Bucs might be punching above their weight, but they've done it for log periods of the year. How long can they sustain it? We stand at 54 wins so far this year - 3 behind last year's total. Is it too early to officially declare some improvement?

I'm enjoying the ride!

Threads : 126

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    We stand at 54 wins so far this year - 3 behind last year's total. Is it too early to officially declare some improvement?
    Unless they go 3-56 the rest of the way, I'd say this team has improved just a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNGoldRules View Post
    Unless they go 3-56 the rest of the way, I'd say this team has improved just a bit.
    I could live with last year being a nadir. After that, this year is mostly smiles! If only the batting firepower were more evident...

Threads : 35

The Pirates are currently .500 (5-5) in what was expected to be a run through the fires of hell with the Reds, Cards, Braves and Sillies. Not the end of the line as some feared. Also, not the breathing room that Neal Huntington might have needed to make his trade deadline decisions easier. Hey, Neal, this bunch of overachieving misfits is still in a pennant race. What are you gonna do to help them?

Threads : 2

Fact of the matter is, the series split with the Braves was just 2 similar teams going at it. Both have staff era's in the NL top 5, Both offenses (I believe) lower than 25th in NL. Basically it was both anemic offenses against top flight pitching.

Now, the Philly series will be more telling. Can our pitching hold down Philly's offense enough for our poor hitting to come thru for at least 1 win, possibly 2?

1-2 against Philly i would take right now.

We can all talk again on Monday to see if the Bucs do anything to bolster the offense. I'm really wary right now as most of the internet chatter is about how the Pirates are being rebutting every chance they get and other teams are asking for out top flight prospects. I can see a scenario where NH and FC state that they tried but weren't willing to part with what other teams where asking. Is this just a PR stunt? A way to say, hey, we tried but.........

We shall see.....

Threads : 277

All true, but you can forgive the fans--who haven't been "fed" for so many years--getting worked up and hungry, when you think how many games lost could have been won, if only Overbay, Diaz, Paul, Wood, and Pedro occasionally would get a hit when it counts.

That momentum could feed on itself and you could see a real challenge for the top divisional spot or the Wild Card.

Both DK and Smizik said that there have to be 50 guys--literally--available out there in the bigs and minors, who could play RF and 1B better than the men we trot out there every night.

You dobn't have to give up Marte or Allie for them, eitgher.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

12 runs in a 4 game series? Asking your pitching staff to have a 3.00 era is alot...and then that doesn't guarantee you a win when your only getting 3 r per game. Outscoring a worse offense than us? Woohooo. With a little more offense the Pirates could have swept the series and been in 1st place. Yes, we desperately need offense.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Adding power would be great, but having the ability to bring home runners on second and third with less than two outs, on a consistent basis, would cure alot of problems the offense has. I for one am tired of called third strikes. If it is close, swing the bat. A called third strike is a wasted opportunity to hit a HR, drive in a run and to get on base.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 91
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    12 runs in a 4 game series? Asking your pitching staff to have a 3.00 era is alot...and then that doesn't guarantee you a win when your only getting 3 r per game. Outscoring a worse offense than us? Woohooo. With a little more offense the Pirates could have swept the series and been in 1st place. Yes, we desperately need offense.
    Thanks for proving my point.

You can throw all the stats you want at it.

The only one that matters is 2-and-2.

The rest is coulda, woulda, shoulda.

The team is a game and a half out of first despite the line up they have.

Which one of us would have complained about that in March?

No deal has been made, there's nothing that can be done about that.
    I hope they pick somebody up, but if they don't... enjoy the ride.
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting for LaRoche View Post
    Thanks for proving my point.

You can throw all the stats you want at it.

The only one that matters is 2-and-2.

The rest is coulda, woulda, shoulda.

The team is a game and a half out of first despite the line up they have.

Which one of us would have complained about that in March?

No deal has been made, there's nothing that can be done about that.
    I hope they pick somebody up, but if they don't... enjoy the ride.
    how many times have we heard from "fans" that there is no way the Pirates can keep this up, or they can't win without power in the lineup, or...after 2 or 3 losses that this is where the team falls apart? while it would be real nice to see the Buccos score a bunch of runs and hit balls out of the park, they are getting real good at winning close games which is gonna serve them well in the near future. how much better will they be when they get that big bat after learning how to win the close ones. the masochistic side of me kinda enjoys the knucklebiters at times gotta be able to win those close ones if you want to be a champion.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information