Thread: Why Exactly Did We Not Get Pence??

Threads : 7
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Why Exactly Did We Not Get Pence??

After seeing what the Phils gave up for Pence....I'm truly frustrated that the Pirates weren't able to work out a deal for him. The Phils gave up next to nothing to get a solid RF with RH power!!! That sucks!!!

Threads : 197

Default Re: Why Exactly Did We Not Get Pence??

Yeah, they "only" gave up the 41st and 43rd best prospects in all of baseball. You're out of your mind.

Threads : 0

Um. They gave up their two best prospects. That'd be like the Pirates trading Jameson Taillon and Tony Sanchez and two more prospects TBNL. Next to nothing? Not exactly.

Second of all, the Phillies are going for a World Series win this year, they're willing to trade the future for a sure thing this year. The Pirates are sort of on the border between competing and being out of the race, they have the Cubs and Padres coming up after Philly and then they face the Cards, Brewers and Reds for 17 games. The Pirates are no sure thing right now, even if they add Pence and trading the future away for this year would be incredibly dumb.

Threads : 277

How about, "We are a small potatoes franchise and will be for a long time."

I am very happy with this year's performance--which may now be coming to a thudding end--but we don't have the assets to compete when big names get traded or offered.

Has anyone seen Pedro Alvarez? He should consider putting his entire head under his hat, pulling the bill down to his chin.

F*** his psyche. He was paid millions to perform and he isn't. Let him learn his trade at Indy and stop embarrassing himself in Pittsburgh.

Forget the comparisons of PA to Reggie Jackson? I'd settle for some "Al Oliver," play his position well and hit line drives and for average. The dingers and RBI will come.

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How about, "We are a small potatoes franchise and will be for a long time."

I am very happy with this year's performance--which may now be coming to a thudding end--but we don't have the assets to compete when big names get traded or offered.

Has anyone seen Pedro Alvarez? He should consider putting his entire head under his hat, pulling the bill down to his chin.

F*** his psyche. He was paid millions to perform and he isn't. Let him learn his trade at Indy and stop embarrassing himself in Pittsburgh.

Forget the comparisons of PA to Reggie Jackson? I'd settle for some "Al Oliver," play his position well and hit line drives and for average. The dingers and RBI will come.

I did not say that Pedro was comparable to Reggie. I wrote that article just to show how young sluggers can perform.

Read that **** again.

Threads : 91
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Perrotto says the Astros wanted four prospects starting with Tallion.

I wouldn't make that deal either.
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

Threads : 126

You just knew this deal was going to happen with Philthy. They have such a deep system that they can afford to give up what they gave up and still have plenty left in the minors. The Pirates just don't have that same luxury yet. The Pirates are still trying to build up their system. Hard to do that when you trade away major pieces of a system that still doesn't have a lot of depth yet. That being said, I still wouldn't be surprised to see them make a deal over the weekend for somebody. It might not have much of a wow factor to it, but maybe another bat that can't help but improve this anemic lineup. We'll see how it plays out.

Threads : 91
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNGoldRules View Post
    You just knew this deal was going to happen with Philthy. They have such a deep system that they can afford to give up what they gave up and still have plenty left in the minors. The Pirates just don't have that same luxury yet. The Pirates are still trying to build up their system. Hard to do that when you trade away major pieces of a system that still doesn't have a lot of depth yet. That being said, I still wouldn't be surprised to see them make a deal over the weekend for somebody. It might not have much of a wow factor to it, but maybe another bat that can't help but improve this anemic lineup. We'll see how it plays out.
    Exactly.

Philly has enough up with the big club and they have prospect to make this deal.

The Pirates have spent years trying to restock the minors and Houston wanted to clean them out.

Atlanta also stopped talks when Houston wanted four of their best pitching prospects.
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Yeah, they "only" gave up the 41st and 43rd best prospects in all of baseball. You're out of your mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by IAPiratesFan View Post
    Um. They gave up their two best prospects. That'd be like the Pirates trading Jameson Taillon and Tony Sanchez and two more prospects TBNL. Next to nothing? Not exactly.

Second of all, the Phillies are going for a World Series win this year, they're willing to trade the future for a sure thing this year. The Pirates are sort of on the border between competing and being out of the race, they have the Cubs and Padres coming up after Philly and then they face the Cards, Brewers and Reds for 17 games. The Pirates are no sure thing right now, even if they add Pence and trading the future away for this year would be incredibly dumb.
    That sums it all up. The Phillies KNOW for sure what they have. They've been there, they've won, they've lost, they have been consistently competing for the past few years now. For them it's not really a high risk gamble because they know a heck of a lot more about their team and they have been building and crafting together a contender for a while. They didn't acquire Lee, Halladay just this year.

The Pirates just don't know. Like IAP said, the Pirates could be a contender for the playoffs or not. Nobody expected the [itching to be this good the first half of the year, now everyone is expecting it to be as good or better the rest of the year. That is a very lofty expectation, one that I personally don't share.

Like I stated in my other article, the Pirates need to look more for a Billy Guerin than a Marian Hossa right now. Find your Georges LaRaques and Gary Roberts' at this stage for some type of low risk low cost help and see how the season plays out and then use that as a barometer for offseason movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting for LaRoche View Post
    Perrotto says the Astros wanted four prospects starting with Tallion.

I wouldn't make that deal either.
    Not that I have faith in Perrotto being right but assuming that he is and this wouldn't really suprise me, there's no way i make this deal
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 215

Pence is just one more guy for McDonald to mow down tonight!
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Threads : 6
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think the Astros were going to trade Pence to us unless it meant they debilitated our minor league system. That is the only way they were going to trade him within the division.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information