Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cole & Bell

Threads : 122

Default Cole & Bell

What do you guys think the odds are the Buccos sign both Cole & Bell?
    Can MLB screw the Pirates by not approving a signing bonus? I know the slot figures are just recommendations but didn't MLB screw us last year where they didn't approve a bonus & the kid either had to sign or go to college orientation or something? I swear it was another kid that was to attend Texas too. Am I totally misremembering the chain of events?
    I hope we are able to sign both as Bell seems like he could be a legit power bat our system is barren of.

Default Re: Cole & Bell

Dace Kime is the kid I was thinking of. Had a scholarship to Louisville & orientation was before the deadline.

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I saw a tweet earlier this morn (I'll look for it after I post this) where a Trib writer (if I recall correctly) cited a knowledgable source putting Bell signing at 60%.

That sounds to me like a much higher chance than when we drafted him.

Threads : 150

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw a tweet earlier this morn (I'll look for it after I post this) where a Trib writer (if I recall correctly) cited a knowledgable source putting Bell signing at 60%.

That sounds to me like a much higher chance than when we drafted him.

https://twitter.com/kendallrogerspg/...74539224158208
    Last edited by vandelay industries; Jul-30-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Threads : 66

What exactly does "60%" mean? It sounds good on the surface. Does it mean 'better than average chance"? Why not 65%??

I wonder, also, who the source could be? His mom? His agent? The Pirates' negotiating team?

I'm not being pessimistic (I'm actually optimistic we sign him), but that tweet has more holes than a Pedro A swing.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we don't sign Bell, after passing on Rendon for a teams second best pitcher, the draft will be a bust. We need that impact bat, and Bell could well be a phenom power bat. Signing Bell would likely immediately make him the #1 bat in our system and in my eyes the #2 prospect in our system. It's been said that he could be offered essentially the same bonus Taillon got last year...if so...he should sign.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am sort of with Benny on this.

1. I disagree with his harsh words about being the 2nd best pitcher on UCLA's staff meaning anything. I think Benny is still ****ed that we passed on glass house Rendon. I'm hoping every scout and expert is right that Cole projects better long term than he performed at UCLA. Still wish we had the ability to trade down in the draft

2. We have to sign Bell. You cannot draft a guy with your 2nd round pick and not sign him unless (like Scheppers) he's injured well beyond what everyone says. That's a gamble Bell isn't a gamble. The kid is healthy and is going to be a stud. More importantly with the CBA changing how the draft works next year, we won't be able to get Josh Bell types anymore since there won't be the ability to pay way over slot. This is the last hurrah for this type of stuff. Signing Bell would be like taking another 1st rounder. Guy fell to us in the 2nd because teams and experts simply don't believe he can sign. The Pirates have to sign Bell
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post
    What exactly does "60%" mean? It sounds good on the surface. Does it mean 'better than average chance"? Why not 65%??

I wonder, also, who the source could be? His mom? His agent? The Pirates' negotiating team?

I'm not being pessimistic (I'm actually optimistic we sign him), but that tweet has more holes than a Pedro A swing.
    Kendall Rogers is all over College Baseball he writes and such for a ton of different publications or has a ton of them publish what he writes. He's fairly credible

Threads : 197

Cole: 99.9%. What are his other options really? #1 pick pretty much always signs.

Bell: Probably less than 50%, maybe even lower. It's going to be a very tough deal to get done. I know one player on the Texas team and he's convinced Bell is playing there. Said he's met him and it seems like he's very serious.

I think you would have to be an idiot & have shifty guidance to pass up 2.5 or 3 million at age 18. If he invests it he would have top 10 pick caliber money by the time the 4 years of college would be up anyway.

Threads : 197

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I think you would have to be an idiot & have shifty guidance to pass up 2.5 or 3 million at age 18. If he invests it he would have top 10 pick caliber money by the time the 4 years of college would be up anyway.
    $2.5-$3 million IS top 10 money already. Depends on the year, but in 2010, for example, the 4th overall pick got $2.75 million, which is slot. This year I'd expect the top 6 (at least) to go over $3 million, but #10 overall pick Cory Spangenberg signed for $1.86. With the possibility of hard slotting in the next CBA, there's a chance you'd have to go top 5 to ever see $3 million in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Cole: 99.9%. What are his other options really? #1 pick pretty much always signs.

Bell: Probably less than 50%, maybe even lower. It's going to be a very tough deal to get done. I know one player on the Texas team and he's convinced Bell is playing there. Said he's met him and it seems like he's very serious.
    I guess I don't understand hiring Boras if you're not interested in signing! It might take top 5 money, but it's doable I think...and it has to get done.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

And yes, I have a problem with a #1 place all based on projection and not on production.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    And yes, I have a problem with a #1 place all based on projection and not on production.
    As tyou sould but you advocated drafting Anthony Rendon who like Cole wasn't producing either, not like previous years and with injury issues. Everyone except you had a problem with those issues which are as much of a concern as Cole not fullfilling his projections.

I'd LOVe, absolutely would LOVE to see the ability to trade int he draft happen in the next CBA. Hard caps and slots so that teams aren't avoiding spending money and trading picks to do so but I believe that a draft this past one would've been prime for a team like the Pirates to trade their #1 pick

Threads : 61

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I'd LOVe, absolutely would LOVE to see the ability to trade int he draft happen in the next CBA. Hard caps and slots so that teams aren't avoiding spending money and trading picks to do so but I believe that a draft this past one would've been prime for a team like the Pirates to trade their #1 pick
    Interesting. I never knew that draft picks couldn't be traded. I just thought it was extremely rare since MLB draft picks don't have imediate impacts like NHL, and NFL picks can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information