Thread: Inquiring Minds Want To Know

Threads : 35

Default Inquiring Minds Want To Know

I attended my first up close and personal Bucco game of the season today in Philadelphia and the following questions occurred to me:

How is it that the Sillies' deadline acquisition - the guy we couldn't afford, and also the guy who scored the winning run today - reports for work immediately with his new employer while our deadline acquisition is a no show? I know, I know, "personal" reasons; child's medical condition; special dispensation from Pope Hurdle, etc. Still, this is a freakin' pennant race and we're running out of games. On second thought, he had to travel all the way from New York to Philadelphia. I've made that trip many times and it can be a hellish hour or two. I point out that if he hadn't been traded, he would have been in uniform in The Bronx today and then on a plane to Kansas City for a Tuesday game. Where's the sense of urgency that this situation - and this pay scale - demands?

A related question: Why was I forced to watch Lyle Overbay sandwich a home run in amongst strikeout after strikeout?

Is Pedro completely overmatched against big league pitching or is he setting up the league for a surprise September breakout? He couldn't have hit a pitched baseball with an ironing board today.

With Schneider and Martinez in the lineup the Sillies were playing with one hand tied behind their collective backs. Even so, the Pirates, with Paul, Wood, Fryer, Alvarez, Overbay, and even Jones never felt like a legitimate threat no matter what the scoreboard said.

On the plus side, it was a beautiful, if somewhat warm, day in the City of Brotherly Love and most of the 45,000+ left Citizens Bank Park with a smile on their face. There ya go. Our Buccos brought joy to a lot of people. After all, it's just a game.

Cynically yours.
    Last edited by carney2; Jul-31-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Inquiring Minds Want To Know

Quote Originally Posted by carney2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I attended my first up close and personal Bucco game of the season today in Philadelphia and the following questions occurred to me:

How is it that the Sillies' deadline acquisition - the guy we couldn't afford, and also the guy who scored the winning run today - reports for work immediately with his new employer while our deadline acquisition is a no show? I know, I know, "personal" reasons; child's medical condition; special dispensation from Pope Hurdle, etc. Still, this is a freakin' pennant race and we're running out of games. On second thought, he had to travel all the way from New York to Philadelphia. I've made that trip many times and it can be a hellish hour or two. I point out that if he hadn't been traded, he would have been in uniform in The Bronx today and then on a plane to Kansas City for a Tuesday game. Where's the sense of urgency that this situation - and this pay scale - demands?

A related question: Why was I forced to watch Lyle Overbay sandwich a home run in amongst strikeout after strikeout?

Is Pedro completely overmatched against big league pitching or is he setting up the league for a surprise September breakout? He couldn't have hit a pitched baseball with an ironing board today.
    With Schneider and Martinez in the lineup the Sillies were playing with one hand tied behind their collective backs. Even so, the Pirates, with Paul, Wood, Fryer, Alvarez, Overbay, and even Jones never felt like a legitimate threat no matter what the scoreboard said.

On the plus side, it was a beautiful, if somewhat warm, day in the City of Brotherly Love and most of the 45,000+ left Citizens Bank Park with a smile on their face. There ya go. Our Buccos brought joy to a lot of people. After all, it's just a game.

Cynically yours.
    Absolutely love the cynicism, especially the highlighted part. Even if Pence is on our side, we still lose two out of three.

Threads : 2

I could not agree with you more, I thought the same thing when I heard that he wasn't going to be in the lineup today. I understand family, believe me, but.....don't use the excuse that he had a double header the night before. From what I found, he didn't play in the 2nd game at all so why the BS?

6-7 Million per year, play f'ing ball!

Threads : 35

"It's just one game," and "Lee probably wouldn't have made a difference anyhow. After all, Overbay accounted for 2 RBIs." Still, this is a job that runs from mid February to about October 1st. That means it has a built in 3 1/2 month vacation. AND, it pays in the millions! It's just not too much to expect the guy to show up for work on a day and at a time of the season that he's needed..

Threads : 1817

Teams that give up as many runs as the {Pirates did in every game this series, don't win Division titles and make it to the Playoffs.

No amount of hitting probably makes a difference when the "strength" of your team isn't a strength.

As for Lee not showing up, it seems to ahve been a mutual agreement so I'm not concerned about it at all. It's not like the guy skipped out
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 91
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

So let's say you just worked a double shift, then got home to find out you had a new job in a different city at 11:30 that night.

Would you want to jump on a plane to be there for your new job at 12:30 the next afternoon?

Cut the guy some slack.
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

Threads : 138

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Teams that give up as many runs as the {Pirates did in every game this series, don't win Division titles and make it to the Playoffs.

No amount of hitting probably makes a difference when the "strength" of your team isn't a strength.
    I agree. An overachieving pitching staff has made this team what it is this season. They have been offensively challenged all season. The pitching let them down. They scored four runs against Cliff Lee and still lost. The Bucs' stellar pitching evaporated.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    I agree. An overachieving pitching staff has made this team what it is this season. They have been offensively challenged all season. The pitching let them down. They scored four runs against Cliff Lee and still lost. The Bucs' stellar pitching evaporated.
    Since June the Pitching staff has really been hit or miss. It's really tough to get a play on these guys. I can't really see any sort of changes made to the rotation unless someone strings together 3 poor performances in a row (which they have avoided doing so far).

also have heard rumblings about the Pirates possibly going to a 6 man rotation to help save some arm fatigue. I don't know when or if they do this. Or with who. Maybe when Ohlendorf is ready? Perhaps when IP's get to a certain point bringing up Lincoln? Just a rumor?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting for LaRoche View Post
    So let's say you just worked a double shift, then got home to find out you had a new job in a different city at 11:30 that night.

Would you want to jump on a plane to be there for your new job at 12:30 the next afternoon?

Cut the guy some slack.
    Exactly.

Plus I'm pretty certain he has to make sure he's made arrangements for his daughter.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information