Thread: Lyle Overbay Just Got DFA'd

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Lyle Overbay Just Got DFA'd

From Dejan ...

Hearing #Pirates have told Lyle Overbay he will be DFA.

Lyle Overbay To Be Designated For Assignment By Pirates, According To Report

By Jeff Sullivan - Editor

Aug 1, 2011 - Over the weekend, the Pittsburgh Pirates reached an agreement with the Baltimore Orioles to bring over veteran first baseman Derrek Lee. That meant the writing was on the wall for incumbent first baseman Lyle Overbay, and now, from Dejan Kovacevic, we get some unsurprising news:
    Hearing #Pirates have told Lyle Overbay he will be DFA.
    This isn't yet confirmed, but it makes sense. Overbay hasn't produced, he's out of a job, and he's on a one-year contract that's done in two months.

It didn't have to be this way, of course. Between 2008-2010, Overbay posted a 110 OPS+ with the Blue Jays. He wasn't a power hitter, but he could hit for power, and he could draw a walk and play some defense, too. It was enough to make him a half-decent player, so the Pirates signed him for $5 million last December. Overbay looked like a reasonable stopgap until the Pirates mattered, and had someone better.

But then the Pirates started to matter ahead of schedule, and then Overbay didn't produce, which put him under a microscope he probably didn't expect. Overbay batted nearly 400 times as the Pirates' regular first baseman, and he hit .227 with a .649 OPS. As you can understand, that wasn't enough, and a change has been made as the Pirates try like hell to stick around in the NL Central.

Given that Overbay's 34, one wonders if this is it. He could get a minor league contract over the winter, but he might never make it back to the majors. If that's the case, then he played his final game on Sunday, and drilled a two-run homer off Vance Worley to give the Pirates the lead. Not altogether the worst way to go out.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 138

Default Re: Lyle Overbay Just Got DFA'd

Hmm. I was kind of going against the grain on this one. Yesterday, Pirates fans everywhere expected Overbay to be DFA'd. Then there he was in the lineup.

On the telecast they said that Hurdle had a long meeting with Overbay before the game. I wonder if Hurdle told him, "We're gonna DFA you when Lee gets here. You can choose whether or not you want to play today. If you wanna play, we'll start you at 1B since it could be your last game in your MLB career."

Yesterday I wanted him gone. I hate to say it, but I'd much rather see Overbay coming up as a pinch hitter than Xavier Paul. Paul is a terrible PH'er... but .. I digress... Alas, Lethargic Lyle is gone.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmm. I was kind of going against the grain on this one. Yesterday, Pirates fans everywhere expected Overbay to be DFA'd. Then there he was in the lineup.

On the telecast they said that Hurdle had a long meeting with Overbay before the game. I wonder if Hurdle told him, "We're gonna DFA you when Lee gets here. You can choose whether or not you want to play today. If you wanna play, we'll start you at 1B since it could be your last game in your MLB career."

Yesterday I wanted him gone. I hate to say it, but I'd much rather see Overbay coming up as a pinch hitter than Xavier Paul. Paul is a terrible PH'er... but .. I digress... Alas, Lethargic Lyle is gone.
    I rerally don't want to see Paul pinch hitting again either, certainly not in an important situation
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not suprising. Although losing a left handed bat off the bench is something I wish we didn't have to lose. Pretty much just Jones and Paul as from the left side with Paul more than likely starting in LF til either Presley or Tabata return.

Threads : 13

Cool Re: Lyle Overbay Just Got DFA'd

Thank you Lyle Overbay and Good Luck my friend !!

Threads : 277

Paul is still your best defensive outfielder, although he can't PH.

Bring up John Bowker.

Hooray for the decision to dump "Overpaid."

Threads : 138

I think there is one move left to accommodate Ludwick. Could be Paul DFA or more likely Ciriaco back to Indy.

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think there is one move left to accommodate Ludwick. Could be Paul DFA or more likely Ciriaco back to Indy.

Pirates option Ciriaco with Ludwick's arrival
    By John Grupp, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, August 01 2011

The Pirates have optioned infielder Pedro Ciriaco to Triple-A Indianapolis to make room for outfielder Ryan Ludwick, who was acquired Sunday from the Padres.

Ludwick, who arrived at PNC Park on Monday, will be batting fifth and starting in left field as the Pirates open a four-game series with the Cubs tonight. Ludwick hit .238 with 18 doubles, 11 home runs and 64 RBI in 101 games for the Padres.

The seldom-used Ciriaco was batting .273 with two RBI and one stolen base in 10 games during four different stints with the Pirates this year.

Earlier in the day, the Pirates designated first baseman Lyle Overbay for assignment to make room for newly acquired Derrek Lee, who is batting fourth and starting at first. This is Lee's fourth team in the past 12 months.

"It's been a little bit of whirlwind," he said to reporters today at PNC Park.

Read more: Pirates option Ciriaco with Ludwick's arrival - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1TopqIBdm
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information